FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Server.War2.Ru

New bnet server test

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
~iL

New bnet server test

I set up the bnet server on the new hosting, please, try it to compare latency.

Attached it as backup.war2.ru , gateway named "Ru: if server is down" while using combat.

It located in Germany, not in Russia. So, check if it works better or worse than current.
Bnet will be migrated there soon if it looks better.

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:55 pm 
test

The ping from boston area is 112 for backup.war2.ru vs 394 for server.war2.ru. It's not 23ms, but it's a noticable improvement.

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:51 pm 
RipE1

nice shit man. i dont even test. i know for sure that just as it is located in gayrmany it will b shit loadz better ping than rus located server.

http://sieni.us/?id=21

Post Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:29 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
BHC-JesK

72 ms to russia, 17 ms from and to germany hehe

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:25 am 
Lightbringer-

I'm still at a disadvantage wherever its hosted. Too far away physically Sad

Post Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:03 am 
~iL

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
I'm still at a disadvantage wherever its hosted. Too far away physically Sad

Well, i had options about the server location: Russia, Germany, USA. I selected Germany as a compromise. There's lots of players in Europe, and it's somewhere in the middle between Ru and US...
We need the best location to play between all the countries.

My ping to server.war2.ru is about 2 ms, to backup.war2.ru about 40-60 ms.

Just need to test it: i'm not sure that server's performance is the best, i just hope that.

I plan to move the main server to this host if no one tells that it's permormance is much worse than the current one.

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:42 pm 
Fast Luck

it's about 40ms faster for me i guess.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:38 pm 
test

I'd be interested to see the proof that most players "are from Europe" or how you came to such a retarded conclusion. I'd wager that actually most are from no specific region at all and if there were a "larger" group at all, it would likely be US/CA/NZ/AU, not Europe. There are maybe 2-3 players from RU itself (excluding il/ldir and their local group of noobs).

BTW, my ping to my home ISP's router is 1ms. Why would you bother stating a 2ms ping iL? That's completely irrelevant given the close proximity to the server. 40-60 is to be expected for RU to Germany since it's not really any significant physical distance from your current location.

I'd wager that if iL/Ldir moved to AU, then suddenly most players would also happen to be from Asia/AU/NZ LoL

The only real location that has a reasonable latency to ALL locations around the globe is usually Toronto, CA because of its central location for pipes from both east/west coasts of the US/CA. Moving to DE is a step in the right direction, but dont kid yourself, it's not that much of an improvement when there are clearly better alternatives.

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:02 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by test
I'd be interested to see the proof that most players "are from Europe" or how you came to such a retarded conclusion.

he never said "most" just "lots" and hje picked it as a compromise
quote:
Originally posted by ~iL

Well, i had options about the server location: Russia, Germany, USA. I selected Germany as a compromise. There's lots of players in Europe, and it's somewhere in the middle between Ru and US...

hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:11 pm 
~iL

quote:
I'd be interested to see the proof that most players "are from Europe" or how you came to such a retarded conclusion. I'd wager that actually most are from no specific region at all and if there were a "larger" group at all, it would likely be US/CA/NZ/AU, not Europe. There are maybe 2-3 players from RU itself (excluding il/ldir and their local group of noobs).

I didn't say "that most players "are from Europe"".
I said Germany could be a good center point to communicate the whole community from different countries.
I had no task to make the best latency for most players and bad for others, I planned to compromise with approximately equal latency for eeryone.

And yes, I agree about the larger group: Looks like it's US/CA. There are different statistics: almost 40% of server.war2.ru site visitors are from US. There are about 2500 users.
But about 70% visitors of war2.ru (russian site) are from russia, there are about 5500 users.
Of course, site visitor doesnt mean the server player, I think US players is the biggest part of community.

quote:
BTW, my ping to my home ISP's router is 1ms. Why would you bother stating a 2ms ping iL? That's completely irrelevant given the close proximity to the server. 40-60 is to be expected for RU to Germany since it's not really any significant physical distance from your current location.

So, I ping server.war2.ru from my home and see 2ms. I ping it from work and see 3ms, what did I do wrong? My TTL is 57, it's not near my home ISP.

quote:
I'd wager that if iL/Ldir moved to AU, then suddenly most players would also happen to be from Asia/AU/NZ LoL

The only real location that has a reasonable latency to ALL locations around the globe is usually Toronto, CA because of its central location for pipes from both east/west coasts of the US/CA. Moving to DE is a step in the right direction, but dont kid yourself, it's not that much of an improvement when there are clearly better alternatives.

Would be interesing to see your proofs about the best central location in Toronto. Do you have any links to read about that?

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:00 am 
test

http://www.dotcom-monitor.com/WebTools/internet-backbone-latency.aspx

This shows Montreal (similar location to Toronto) out performing all others when both sides of the continent are taken into consideration.

And this shows the Trans-Atlantic/Pacific charts. You can see that Toronto has at most 2 hops to either coast via Boston and LA. Montreal looks like an ideal location as well. NY/Boston/LA are not really ideal because they favor one coast over the other in the amount of physical hops required.

http://www.jaymiescotto.com/jsablog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Picture-4.png

In general, CA has better global latency than most US locations. You can also see that DE has absolutely no connection to Asia or AU/NZ. It has to go through London to get anywhere.

Like I said, step in the right direction, but there is still room for improvement. The first step is to realize that RU is not the correct location to begin with. That was obviously a major step and took 10 yrs longer than it should have.

Post Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:44 pm 
GaNz

cant test, server down

Post Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:00 pm