FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

Chrono Trigger
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SoCxEcLiPzE

Chrono Trigger

On my millionth nostalgic playthrough of Chrono Trigger... still holds up after all these years. Best game of all time IMHO

Post Sun May 11, 2014 2:29 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Sparkz102

Re: Chrono Trigger

quote:
Originally posted by SoCxEcLiPzE
On my millionth nostalgic playthrough of Chrono Trigger... still holds up after all these years. Best game of all time IMHO

there is not a single thing wrong with this statement above - I don't even think I've gotten all the endings - and I've seen dozens of them.

Post Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 am 
Fast Luck

I started it once, there was a guy with metal joints

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Sun May 11, 2014 11:27 am 
Bobbo

Frog theme is my favorite song ever. I always rename him Glenn when I play, haha.

In terms of SNES RPG's, I actually favor EarthBound slightly over CT. That game really has something special about it and is just as timeless. Any classic gamer needs to beat it at least once (the game, that is).

Post Mon May 12, 2014 10:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

Man I got so far on Earthbound and then I got sorta stuck and just stopped. Neutral

quote:

Post Mon May 12, 2014 10:53 am 
Bobbo

quote:
Man I got so far on Earthbound and then I got sorta stuck and just stopped. Neutral

Yeah, there are a few moments in the game where you can easily get stuck since you might need to talk to some specific person or explore some specific area to trigger the next event and it's not always clear what that is. This never bothered me since they made the whole game so interesting and fun to explore.

Post Mon May 12, 2014 1:19 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtwEpQe6w0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNzYIEY-CcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKRRXt8J5YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TYCTtGA1PY

music so epic...

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon May 12, 2014 2:39 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i love earthbound's aesthetic and setting and story and characters and everything but even for its time the gameplay and combat was kind of a chore imo. i know there's been newer mother games since then but i don't know how playable the fan translations are, since i think most of them never made it out of japan

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo
quote:

Yeah, there are a few moments in the game where you can easily get stuck since you might need to talk to some specific person or explore some specific area to trigger the next event and it's not always clear what that is. This never bothered me since they made the whole game so interesting and fun to explore.
I got up to some truffle spot I think it was, and it was just really hard and I quit

Post Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtwEpQe6w0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNzYIEY-CcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKRRXt8J5YU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TYCTtGA1PY

music so epic...

This guy. Learned all of his arrangements.... so good

Woops forgot to link:

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0au_NP9P0sc&list=PL84F94FC118DF1125

Post Tue May 13, 2014 12:01 am 
x

I listen to the full OSV while working - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veD_Q9M79bM

Chrono Trigger + FF3, damn those games bring back great memories. War2 actually came right after (full OST - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGl4slGxY8U).

Post Wed May 14, 2014 8:18 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

what are the sickest ps2 jrpg's? my new pc beasts ps2 games on pcsx2. is ff12 any good? i had it but thought the opening part was so boring i just couldnt get past it

quote:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 8:40 am 
ChrisLui

Suikoden 3 and 5

ffxii is a chore...i quit halfway through

Post Wed May 14, 2014 10:17 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

i had suikoden 3 but never got that far into it, i thought it was boring. everyone said its good, maybe suikoden isnt for me :\ maybe i should give it another shot. or 5 too. i never even played the psx suikodens for some reason, and i played like every jrpg i could get my hands on back then. didn't 3 have like branching quest lines/different characters you could do in different orders or something?

i'm playing persona 3 which i had before but let a friend borrow before i could beat it and i still like this game a lot in some ways, but the time restriction with the social links is making my gaming autism go insane thinking i'm missing stuff. and i'm worried the dungeon crawling is going to get too grindy

quote:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 10:20 am 
ChrisLui

the social link stuff is the best part of that game imo....going back into that dungeon over and over was a bit tedious....i don't think i'd play the game a second time

you might also want to check out breath of fire: dragon quarter. it's been so long since i played anything but i remember this one being unique and lots of ppl bitching about how hard it is...i remember some stuff like there are no inns and you have to rely completely on items to heal

here's a description of the gameplay i found

Dragon Quarter' incorporates a combination of real-time strategy and turn-based combat in what is called the Positive Encounter and Tactics System (PETS). There are no random encounters, instead enemies can be seen on the field and combat is engaged when either the player strikes the enemy with their weapon or the enemy touches the player's character.

The real-time strategy portion, or "Positive Encounter", the player and enemies can move about in the environment together at the same time. During this time, the player can set up traps to hurt the enemy or lures to occupy the enemy. If either the player attacks an enemy or the enemy touches the player, the actual combat initiates. The actual combat portion, or "Tactics", is a turn based battling system based on tactical RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics. Any traps and lures not used up will still be effective. If the player attacks the enemy and the characters can easily overpower the enemy, the enemy is instantly defeated and the player is awarded Party XP equal to the amount of regular experience points earned.

Post Wed May 14, 2014 10:47 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

isnt that also the one that has a weird timing mechanic or something, and you kind of have to play the game over and over to see everything? sounds cool imo. or maybe that was another breath of fire. i'm guessing its the same one though because i remember the "weird" breath of fire having a lot of weird, unusual shit

yeah i mostly like persona because the link stuff is cool and i like the settings and themes with the cool occult shit and i like really obtuse and weird systems i have to figure out to make my numbers go up. i got the FES version which seems to have more explanations in the interface than the original i had on ps2 but is still pretty tough to figure out but i guess that's part of the fun. did you play 4 or any of the other shin megami tensei games? also if you played through this already do you have any tips to make sure i get the sickest personas and anime babes

quote:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 3:11 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

Breath of Fire 3 seemed like such a good game back in the day. I tried to replay it but couldn't... Sad Dunno

I guess I'll play through Chrono Cross next.... even though that game stole a part of my soul.

Post Thu May 15, 2014 12:30 am 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
what are the sickest ps2 jrpg's? my new pc beasts ps2 games on pcsx2. is ff12 any good? i had it but thought the opening part was so boring i just couldnt get past it

I didn't play anything past FF7. Did I miss anything?

Post Thu May 15, 2014 12:32 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

8, 9 and 10 are all good to varying degrees, imo. i don't think i could play them now though, i think the random encounters would make me too insane. also the unskippable summons and endless drawing in 8, although the junction system is funny with how much you can break the game with it

quote:

Post Thu May 15, 2014 5:47 am 
ChrisLui

quote:
isnt that also the one that has a weird timing mechanic or something, and you kind of have to play the game over and over to see everything? sounds cool imo. or maybe that was another breath of fire. i'm guessing its the same one though because i remember the "weird" breath of fire having a lot of weird, unusual shit
ya u have some counter where if it reaches 100 then you die and the game is over. the counter goes up at different rates depending on your action...iirc everything makes it go up, including just walking around.

there's something like you get extra scenes or extra areas open up if you go back to a certain point once you reach a certain level...i know u can beat the game just going straight from start to finish but if you want to see everything u need to retrace

all the other breath of fires are really traditional rpgs...actually one was pretty cool where the twist at the end of the game is that your main character is the bad guy and then the last boss battle is basically you stomping on all your party members

quote:

yeah i mostly like persona because the link stuff is cool and i like the settings and themes with the cool occult shit and i like really obtuse and weird systems i have to figure out to make my numbers go up. i got the FES version which seems to have more explanations in the interface than the original i had on ps2 but is still pretty tough to figure out but i guess that's part of the fun. did you play 4 or any of the other shin megami tensei games? also if you played through this already do you have any tips to make sure i get the sickest personas and anime babes

i'm not sure if persona 2 is shin megami but i played some of that one...i remember really liking it for the reasons you mentioned above, like the aesthetics and the story. not sure if there's a ps2 version of it though... i had it for ps1.

my brother loves the shin megami games. i would say definitely try out nocturne...i never played it but from what i've been told and the parts i saw i think it would be a good bet. it has a really good apocalyptic atmosphere with dark scenery and cults and demons and shit. i also i heard the game rewards good strategy more than grinding out your levels. it might depend which difficulty you play on though. i also heard digital devil saga is good but i would check out nocturne first.

sorry i don't have any tips. been so long and tbh i'm not even sure how seriously i took it when i played.

quote:

8 is my favorite....9 and 10 are pretty good but if you like jrpgs i would definitely say don't miss out on 8

Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:26 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

thx i will probably dl those, especially nocturne. assuming my attention span holds out

quote:

Post Thu May 15, 2014 7:22 pm 
Winchester

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisLui
8 is my favorite....9 and 10 are pretty good but if you like jrpgs i would definitely say don't miss out on 8

8 was by far my favorite Final Fantasy as well, I never went past disc 1 on 9, but all my characters were extremely overleveled from killing the Grand Dragons near Gizmalukes Grotto lol. 10 I loved it, and when I play it these days I play under a 'no sphere grid' restriction challenge to add some more fun to it.

As for 7, I played it long ago and beat it only once, don't remember too much apart from uber bosses and a little bit past Aerith dying and omnislashing Sephiroth at the end lol.

8 was definitely my favorite though without a doubt.

Post Thu May 15, 2014 9:28 pm 
x

quote:
quote:

Sounds like me. I played all the SNES rpgs: FF, CT, BoF, Lufia, etc. Then FF7 and Zelda OoT, then PC gaming pretty much took over.

Even now I barely play PC games, though I just bought To the Moon ($2 from gog.com) and will get the new Torment next year.

Post Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Breath of Fire 3 seemed like such a good game back in the day. I tried to replay it but couldn't... Sad Dunno

I guess I'll play through Chrono Cross next.... even though that game stole a part of my soul.

chrono cross music was so sick

Post Fri May 16, 2014 7:56 am 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
quote:

chrono cross music was so sick

Better than CT? I'm not sure... I'll let you know soon. Honestly I never finished CC because I was expecting a sequel to CT and when I figured out it wasn't I was astronomically dissapointed. Yes... I know the connections are there and it's a continuation of events in the same universe... but..... fuck that shit. It's a great game. But it feels like a separate game. Which is fine... but it's not CT 2. Blah Blah Blah, whine x 100

Post Fri May 16, 2014 2:10 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

double post. whoops.

Post Fri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i pretty much was similarly disappointed, i remember not even liking the story that much on its own merits but i may have been comparing it to CT more. maybe if i played it now i would like it more but i dunno. i know its a different game but i think the thing that most annoyed me about the story stuff was they took the chrono trigger setting which is pretty light hearted and whimsical and ran it through the xenogears filter to make it all "dark" and "grown up" and shit. any way the music and a lot of the art direction and settings were the best part about the game. also the battle system was cool

the same guy did the music for ct, cc and xenogears and they're all like the best game soundtracks ever

quote:

Post Fri May 16, 2014 2:32 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
i pretty much was similarly disappointed, i remember not even liking the story that much on its own merits but i may have been comparing it to CT more. maybe if i played it now i would like it more but i dunno. i know its a different game but i think the thing that most annoyed me about the story stuff was they took the chrono trigger setting which is pretty light hearted and whimsical and ran it through the xenogears filter to make it all "dark" and "grown up" and shit. any way the music and a lot of the art direction and settings were the best part about the game. also the battle system was cool

the same guy did the music for ct, cc and xenogears and they're all like the best game soundtracks ever

I agree with everything you've said. I want to force myself to play through all of CC in the few weeks I have as a sort of vacation just to see why so many people love it. I saw that they remade CT on the Nintendo DS in order to try and tie these two already loosely tied games together a bit better. The stuff i'm reading is making my blood boil.

-Chrono and Marle die (which makes no sense since their line is supposed to be descended up through the future... Doan and stuff)
-Dalton steals the masamune and raises an army in Porre (the town with the mayor that you teach to be generous and it affects the sunstone quest) and they crush Guardia and become an empire.
-Lavos survives and fuses with Schala
-Schala splits herself in two (Kid in CC), one is a happy save the world version and the other wants to destroy all of existance.

I could keep blabbering here. I hate all of this lol.

Post Sat May 17, 2014 1:34 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

to be honest the story is so esoteric and obscure i can't even remember most of that shit lol, except the schala/lavos stuff. at a certain point it gets really weird and convoluted and you kind of have to either give up and read a faq that explains it if you actually care or just say fuck it and go along for the ride

i mean the thing is yeah that stuffs kinda dumb but you can also sorta ignore it, i don't think you learn about crono or marle or lucca except through kind of background lore stuff, it doesn't really rub it in your face with a big cutscene about all the dumb shit that happened to the CT characters (except schala who is pretty important to the CC story). its more there for fans of CT to find if they're looking for it/get the references being made. i think it helps if you think of it taking place in like, some kind of parallel dimension to the CC universe or something. to be honest i wouldnt be surprised if thats actually part of the story and i just forgot about it, it would explain a lot of things (the "glenn" guy whos a lot like frog but isnt really frog)

its been a long time but i wouldn't say the game isn't worth playing, it has some cool stuff on its own merits and the story can be engrossing at times if you sorta forget its chrono trigger. and besides the dumb references to the previous games (there are also a few cool ones btw, imo) the atmosphere and setting and stuff is nice. and again the music owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMEb6XXXi08

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMntblDX0Bg

its definitely not as good as CT but its worth playing imo, some people like it a lot more than i do. psx emulation is pretty good these days too

quote:

Post Sat May 17, 2014 7:08 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

this is the official jrpg nostalgia thread now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgwVSDAmP4 is there a better overworld theme, in any game...

listening to this made me look up the snes final fantasy ports for android, but they're like 15 bucks and have no cloud saves and bad controls apparently :\

quote:

Post Sat May 17, 2014 8:11 am