FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

Poor Nintendo - posts another huge annual loss

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ArchAngel

Poor Nintendo - posts another huge annual loss

Anybody rooting for the comeback of this company, or their demise??

What are your thoughts on what Nintendo should do? The gamers have grown up but the company hasn't. it's sad to watch.

Nintendo Reports a Loss of $457 Million, 3DS and Wii U Both Fall Short

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-reports-a-loss-of-457-million-3ds-and-wii-u-1572841102?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow[/u]

Last edited by ArchAngel on Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

they still make great games its mostly the market changing. its not like call of duty is more mature or intelligent or complex than a new mario. i don't really care much about consoles either way so i don't have a huge stake here, but i would rather nintendo do well since i think they still make great games

also even if their console business totally collapses they seem to have handhelds on lock, poorer than expected sales numbers or no

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:16 am 
~Dakine..HeX

3ds is the only console i ever play. pokemon x/y, the mario games on 3ds, monster hunter are all pretty excellent games.

i think nintendo will be just fine, but even if they arent, it doesnt really matter to me that much.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:22 am 
Fast Luck

arent handhelds fucked because of phones and tablets

seems like console business has more long-term viability, except there they're fucked by microsoft and sony.

nintendo is going to end up like sega...

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:29 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

pretty sure 3ds is a lot bigger in japan compared to na/eu, i'm not positive on that though

logically it seems like phone/tablets would replace them but smartphones have been around for awhile now and 3ds has been doing pretty well globally all things considered iirc. maybe when phone games stop being piles of microtransaction shit

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 11:32 am 
Sparkz102

theres gonna come a time when every1 has every system and game - obviously profits aren't going to continue once the need is satisfied. no workers got laid off - greedy shit - no sympathy here.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:01 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

yeah hearthstone and games like hearthstone seem to be really bad for the 3ds. The main (only) time I play 3ds is on on the train ride to and from work every day. I am not really drawn to candy crush or angry birds, but more big budget games like hearthstone for tablets/smartphones will certainly push me in that direction.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:06 pm 
Shotgun_

quote:

nintendo is going to end up like sega...

Post Wed May 07, 2014 12:17 pm 
turtleman@can

I haven't cared about a nintendo game since zelda 64 - I don't think they've made a game remotely close to that good since it came out (back in 1998) but they're worth 20 billion dollars give or take and they've consistently come out with products that take the world by storm (pokemon, Wii, etc) over the years so I doubt they'll turn into sega in our lifetimes.

Post Wed May 07, 2014 8:38 pm 
Fast Luck

never played mario galaxy?

quote:

Post Wed May 07, 2014 8:41 pm 
audre lorde

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
maybe when phone games stop being piles of microtransaction shit

i'd like to think that it's only a matter of time

Post Wed May 07, 2014 9:34 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i dunno if anything it seems to be the opposite, that kind of model has been making inroads to pc games for awhile. maybe consoles too i dont play them enough to really know

check out dungeon keeper and rollercoast tycoon on android if you want to weep

quote:

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Thu May 08, 2014 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
never played mario galaxy?

hes an idiot op, he'd rather pay $60 plus an extra $15 a month on top of that for a bug-ridden generic mess of focused-group'ed fetch quests than smash bros melee apparently

Post Thu May 08, 2014 5:36 am 
Fast Luck

"I want to be able to marry my real-life fiancé's Mii, but I can't do that," Tye Marini, a 23-year old gay gamer said in the video shared on Vimeo, AP reports. "My only options are to marry some female Mii, to change the gender of either my Mii or my fiancé's Mii or to completely avoid marriage altogether and miss out on the exclusive content that comes with it."

The #Miiquality campaign has received favorable response from people and has been reported widely in gaming blogs and online forums. But the response from the Japan-based video game company hasn't changed, which issued a statement to theAssociated Press saying it "never intended to make any form of social commentary" with the launch of the game.

epic

quote:

Post Thu May 08, 2014 6:34 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
"I want to be able to marry my real-life fiancé's Mii, but I can't do that," Tye Marini, a 23-year old gay gamer said in the video shared on Vimeo, AP reports. "My only options are to marry some female Mii, to change the gender of either my Mii or my fiancé's Mii or to completely avoid marriage altogether and miss out on the exclusive content that comes with it."

The #Miiquality campaign has received favorable response from people and has been reported widely in gaming blogs and online forums. But the response from the Japan-based video game company hasn't changed, which issued a statement to theAssociated Press saying it "never intended to make any form of social commentary" with the launch of the game.

epic

lmao

Post Thu May 08, 2014 6:39 am 
foonat

what the fuck is a Mii

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Thu May 08, 2014 9:14 am 
~Dakine..HeX

its your little avatar that you make for your account on a nintendo wii or 3ds (or maybe other platforms too)

that character that is bowling on screen when you play wii sports: bowling is your mii

Post Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am 
turtleman@can

I played Mario Galaxy, it was really good but it didn't really blow me away like mario 64. The controller on the N64 was designed for Mario 64, the wii controller is designed as a parlor trick, I'm surprised they managed to make mario galaxy as good as it was with it.

Post Thu May 08, 2014 6:44 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
I played Mario Galaxy, it was really good but it didn't really blow me away like mario 64. The controller on the N64 was designed for Mario 64, the wii controller is designed as a parlor trick, I'm surprised they managed to make mario galaxy as good as it was with it.

when you're right you're right

Post Thu May 08, 2014 6:48 pm 
Sentinel

One thing I always think about when it comes to Nintendo is Wind Waker. Everyone complained when the game's look was first released, Nintendo didn't give a shit, and today the game is probably the only one from the whole gen whose looks still hold up and the game is considered one of the best of the series by most.

Point is they've always held true to their identity as a company who will continually try to innovate while maintaining top-tier quality in their first-party titles. So I like and respect them and want them to do well.

Post Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 pm 
BanMe

Nintendo is fine. They're just insanely hit or miss with consoles. But they've got some of the best consistent, fundamental game design you can find anywhere.

Post Fri May 09, 2014 1:17 am