turtleman@can

elder scrolls online

this game is fucking amazing

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:24 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

lmao

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:38 am 
turtleman@can

It kinda feels like neverwinter nights in terms of combat but is a lot more immersive than any other MMO I've played. There aren't big shiny arrows pointing at everything, most objects are interactive and you get a real sense of exploring the environments and discovering things. The crafting is interesting and relevant to you as you level and the quests and storylines all feel like you're playing an elder scrolls game. I like how there aren't numbers flying everywhere and the interface is very minimal.

You don't really need to coordinate groups but you end up just getting help from random people at the same point in the game as you. I'm not sure how it holds up in the late game or for power levelers/gear whores but for me just playing it casually I am really enjoying it.

So far I like everything about the game, I was worried it was going to be just another MMO treadmill but it doesn't feel like a typical MMO at all.

Also I like how you can join up to 5 guilds and there's no world auction house - you have guild auction houses so it doesn't feel like the whole economy of the game is like trading on a stock market.

Last edited by turtleman@can on Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:34 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

that's funny because everything i've read about the game is the exact opposite from what you've described. i hope it bankrupts bethesda and some people who actually know how to make decent rpg's buy the fallout license from them

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:36 pm 
turtleman@can

the MMO community is toxic - there's a horde of retards that follow every new game that comes out and bitch about anything they can think of and complain that it's not like world of warcraft or whatever.. this game is one that is going to suck a lot of people in - unless their servers blow up and the game disappears there's no way it's not going to be a massive success.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:42 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
the MMO community is toxic - there's a horde of retards that follow every new game that comes out and bitch about anything they can think of and complain that it's not like world of warcraft or whatever..

most of the complaints i've read about the game are that its derivative and too much like wow

quote:
this game is one that is going to suck a lot of people in - unless their servers blow up and the game disappears there's no way it's not going to be a massive success.

lol quoted for posterity. this is going to be almost as good as the terror-kahn and smurf king posts about how bitcoin will never go down in value

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:43 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

if you a think a big budget subscription-based world of warcraft clone is going to be a "huge success" in the year 2014 in a post old republic industry then you're probably dumb enough to be a member of TESO's target audience

quote:

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 pm 
turtleman@can

So far every quest I've done was well written, scripted and was actually telling a story - it's the complete opposite of most MMOs that just focus on the objectives. For example, the first dungeon you do - you're walking around collecting trinkets to hand in to a flock of crows who speak to you, and they're the offspring of a witch - once you collect the trinkets you gain access to the witch's lair.. Who has the father of the man who sent you imprisoned. She created the crows for company but got tired of them, made a deal with the imprisoned man to teach him about oblivion that he'd stay as her companion, he refused and thus was imprisoned. You decide whether to kill him, the witch or both and the story branches out depending on your choice.

As you progress through the dungeon you can avoid enemies, hide, tackle them head on or get friends to help. Later in the game you can revisit the dungeon and the storyline continues from where you left it.

Getting into the dungeon, you wander around a random cave and see a chest and when you click on it, you're teleported there. And as you enter the son explains that he should have chosen a less curious object as a gateway.

Anyone that tells you that is a derivative of WoW is a retard. I remember more of this game's storyline in the first 5 levels than I remember of WoW's storyline after playing it for years.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:54 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
So far every quest I've done was well written, scripted and was actually telling a story - it's the complete opposite of most MMOs that just focus on the objectives. For example, the first dungeon you do - you're walking around collecting trinkets to hand in to a flock of crows who speak to you, and they're the offspring of a witch - once you collect the trinkets you gain access to the witch's lair.. Who has the father of the man who sent you imprisoned. She created the crows for company but got tired of them, made a deal with the imprisoned man to teach him about oblivion that he'd stay as her companion, he refused and thus was imprisoned. You decide whether to kill him, the witch or both and the story branches out depending on your choice.

that's not an interesting quest. why would you kill the prisoner? just for fun? there's no compelling character or narrative driven reason to kill anyone but the witch (because she's dangerous to the player). that's just a typical mmo "collect 50 rat skins* quest with a poorly thought out sub-bioware "moral dilemma" tacked on and a shitty oblivion/skyrim level "mini-story" tacked on. it reminds me of when i was playing skyrim, went in some old lady's house, found an open diary turned to a page that said "i'm a witch lol" and then when i left the house the old lady was throwing fireballs at me and screaming about how she wouldn't let me escape with her secret (i murdered her in front of the entire town and no one seemed to notice or care)

the other stuff sounds like skyrim crap which was boring the first time when i did it by myself, no idea why i would want to make a friend suffer through that with me. especially this crap about how the story "changes" and "branches out" depending on what you do. they said the same sort of thing about skyrim with the "radiant quest" system, which turned out to mean that on my second playthrough the dark brotherhood would ask me to kill the general store owner in riften instead of the blacksmith in whiterun

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:00 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:

that's not an interesting quest. why would you kill the prisoner? just for fun? there's no compelling character or narrative driven reason to kill anyone but the witch (because she's dangerous to the player). that's just a typical mmo "collect 50 rat skins* quest with a poorly thought out sub-bioware "moral dilemma" tacked on

the other stuff sounds like skyrim crap which was boring the first time when i did it by myself, no idea why i would want to make a friend suffer through that with me. especially this crap about how the story "changes" and "branches out" depending on what you do. they said the same sort of thing about skyrim with the "radiant quest" system, which turned out to mean that on my second playthrough the dark brotherhood would ask me to kill the general store owner in riften instead of the blacksmith in whiterun

well actually you choose to subdue him and make him keep his end of the bargain - you don't kill him (Just fight him)

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:01 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

that's still really lame and boring, and that's just your description. since this is a post-morrowind elder scrolls game the actual quest is probably way more boring than your description of it

quote:

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:03 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

anyway regardless of what you think of it i wouldn't plan on it being a success. elder scrolls is a brand new game straight out of the game competing with an established brand that has millions of players who have played for years and other games that are just as good or better that aren't subscription based or even free to play. my money is on bethesda breaking down and making the game free to play within 18 months of release in a desperate attempt to recoup losses

quote:

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:05 pm 
turtleman@can

Well the place is called Crow's Woods so you can probably find a video of it.
Anyway the whole point is that the quests are engaging - whether you think they are or not, you can't argue there's no difference between what I'm describing and a typical MMO quest.

I agree that skyrim was boring after the first time, I usually only play elder scrolls games for 50-60 hrs and then just get bored.. But half of that reason is because I just feel disengaged because no reason to continue beyond the scope of challenge in the game and no payoff. This game might lose my interest once I reach max level and do some stuff, but either way it's worth the price until that happens because I'm having a blast

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:10 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Anyway the whole point is that the quests are engaging - whether you think they are or not, you can't argue there's no difference between what I'm describing and a typical MMO quest.

i can, because it sounds like one to me, and i just did

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:12 pm 
turtleman@can

oh shit this game is awesome thank god i'm not ghostnuke and i can afford it

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:11 pm 
Fast Luck

i was just going on Internet minding my own business and i got totally flooded with all these people talking about Dark Souls,maybe that game is good but probably not because all games are for children

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:22 pm 
smurf_king

i was just spectating tman and hassan discussion, killing time before i leave the office...

then POOF... blid weighs in with a random unrelated-to-topic post lol

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:46 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
i was just going on Internet minding my own business and i got totally flooded with all these people talking about Dark Souls,maybe that game is good but probably not because all games are for children

Dark Souls is good, but the game in the OP is not

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 pm 
Winchester

I probably won't get this game anytime soon, I've had Skyrim since its release and I still haven't opened it out of its case yet lol. I think my standards might be a bit too high for it after playing through Morrowind. I do hope this game succeeds though and doesn't end up as a disappointment to most people who buy it.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:26 pm 
turtleman@can

I got 17 hours played in 2 days and I can't stop

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:30 pm 
Aerasal

turtleman, you do realize wow is the only mmo that's been able to maintain a subscription model? it's very unlikely wildstar and teso will remain subscription based, especially considering a lot of the mediocre reception they've been getting.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
turtleman, you do realize wow is the only mmo that's been able to maintain a subscription model? it's very unlikely wildstar and teso will remain subscription based, especially considering a lot of the mediocre reception they've been getting.

Actually there are a lot of MMOs that are subscription based:
FFXI, FFXIV, Darkfall, etc - and a ton of others that have a hybrid subscription/cash shop model

A lot of 'F2P' MMOs are subscription based but they've just realized that opening up a very robust free-trial is a better method of attracting new customers.

WoW is a cash cow but you don't need millions of subscribers to run an MMO. I'm actually amazed at what little content WoW produces and still actively maintains the # of players they do. I was playing age of conan for quite some time and that's mostly subscription based with maybe 75k active subscribers and yet it probably releases more content than WoW and they've got a skeleton crew of developers on that team.

Darkfall is a pvp-based First person MMO with probably 5k subscribers yet still runs, gets regular updates and charges a box fee + premium monthly fee.

So Wildstar and TESO may end up going F2P down the road but that isn't some "APPLE SOLD 5 MILLION MORE PHONES THAN ANDROID" or "HULK HOGAN SMASHED THE ULTIMATE WARRIORS FACE" retard argument.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:39 pm 
turtleman@can

And I HIGHLY doubt TESO will go F2P any time soon for various reasons. Most notably that it's designed to run on gaming consoles, and the fact that it's a huge license and I've yet to see any negativity towards it - it's been the smoothest launch of an MMO ever, and it's a fucking piece of art in terms of game design, graphics, art, etc.. I don't know how anybody could bash this game for any reason other than being a pencil pushing retard trying to get hits on their website as a 'game journalist'

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:46 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
A lot of 'F2P' MMOs are subscription based but they've just realized that opening up a very robust free-trial is a better method of attracting new customers.

translation: the subscription model failed

quote:
WoW is a cash cow but you don't need millions of subscribers to run an MMO. I'm actually amazed at what little content WoW produces and still actively maintains the # of players they do. I was playing age of conan for quite some time and that's mostly subscription based with maybe 75k active subscribers and yet it probably releases more content than WoW and they've got a skeleton crew of developers on that team.

age of conan has been f2p since february 2013

quote:
and it's a fucking piece of art in terms of game design, graphics, art, etc..

lmao, especially at saying this about a post-morrowind elder scrolls game, especially the fucking design? look how dumbed down skyrim is compared to morrowind. you have to install like a dozen mods to give it any semblance of depth, and even then its back to the same boring combat as a game like morrowind (though morrowind had a waaaaaaaaay better magic system) without the interesting world and setting to balance out

quote:
I don't know how anybody could bash this game for any reason other than being a pencil pushing retard trying to get hits on their website as a 'game journalist'

its funny how little you realize what a tool you are. its the other way around, game "journalists" for the most part suck industry dick like you, its mostly regular people who've played the beta who are saying the game is a pile

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:08 am 
Allstar

i played the beta, its really not that bad ghostnuke. Its def not amazing though. The graphics and art design are very visually appealing. The combat feels like garbage though which was my main problem with the game. I also couldn't tell the fucking diff between a player and a mob, because all the targetting ui things looked identical for either, same color bar, same text, no "player" or anything, really maddening in a busy area with vendors tryin to figure out who the fuck is the vendor. maybe they addressed this i dunno. Classes feel very minimalistic and quite dull. In beta there was only like 3? Then some sort of simplistic weapon based shit like guild wars2?
Why dont they make an MMO with like 30 races and 50 classes? why is the shit getting smaller and smaller in variety? I like tons of races and classes.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:20 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Allstar
i played the beta, its really not that bad ghostnuke. Its def not amazing though. The graphics and art design are very visually appealing. The combat feels like garbage though which was my main problem with the game. I also couldn't tell the fucking diff between a player and a mob, because all the targetting ui things looked identical for either, same color bar, same text, no "player" or anything, really maddening in a busy area with vendors tryin to figure out who the fuck is the vendor. maybe they addressed this i dunno. Classes feel very minimalistic and quite dull. In beta there was only like 3? Then some sort of simplistic weapon based shit like guild wars2?
Why dont they make an MMO with like 30 races and 50 classes? why is the shit getting smaller and smaller in variety? I like tons of races and classes.

well my opinion is less that its complete poopy and more that most reviews from people in the beta have been similar to yours, just pretty generic and boring and bland and derivative with various annoying glitchy and ui problems that are typical of mmo's (like the UI thing with lots of players you're talking about). and the thing is if you are expecting people to pay $60 for your game and then $15 every month on top of that you have to do a lot better than just kind of ok

these days it takes a really good game to convince me to pay $50 or more at launch for it, especially on pc because of things like steam sales, f2p games like dota and league, less expensive "indie" games that are quite good (though a lot of those are total shit), and things like that. the market's changed a lot. personally i was never a MMO guy but i do think there's a lot of people who would maybe be interested in this game who are going to scoff at the price in 2014 when there are lots of good and cheaper options out there. i also feel like the MMO audience in general is kind of shrinking compared to the wow heyday but that's just a personal observation and i could be wrong, i haven't researched it or anything

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:31 am 
Winchester

Totally agree with you on Morrowinds Magic System Hassan, I freaking love it.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:51 am 
audre lorde

it's not a bad game but it definately isn't amazing. i got bored with it very quicky.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 am 
turtleman@can

A lot of people played the beta - as did I - and you don't have the mindset to judge a game fairly when you go into it knowing that it's not a finished product, your character is going to be wiped and thus you have no incentive to commit to anything.

I played the beta for 10 minutes and really had no interest. So if you're reading all kinds of negative feedback it's probably from beta testers who didn't have 60 bucks to drop on the game and figured they'd use their hollow beta experience as the reason.

Every time a new MMO comes out, 50 billion people try it, most of them find some nitpicky reasons why it sucks and move on - the rest of the people enjoy it for what it is.. That's going to happen here but I think the # of people that stick around is going to be a very high #

Anyway I think the game owns - I don't find not having glowing highlighted arrows over NPC heads a detriment but a design choice for immersion.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
A lot of people played the beta - as did I - and you don't have the mindset to judge a game fairly when you go into it knowing that it's not a finished product, your character is going to be wiped and thus you have no incentive to commit to anything.

I played the beta for 10 minutes and really had no interest. So if you're reading all kinds of negative feedback it's probably from beta testers who didn't have 60 bucks to drop on the game and figured they'd use their hollow beta experience as the reason.

1) the idea that beta testers aren't supposed to be listened to in determining the quality of something is pretty stupid, that's kind of the whole reason they have beta tests in the first place. yeah, you should keep in mind the impressions are based on the beta, but to say they should just be ignored and they're worthless, well...why have a beta in the first place then

2) the idea that everyone who says this game sucks is a beta tester who only played for 10 minutes is pretty funny. why are you so interested in discrediting everyone who disagrees with you about a video game? maybe they have different tastes than you and don't enjoy the same things, wow

quote:
Every time a new MMO comes out, 50 billion people try it, most of them find some nitpicky reasons why it sucks and move on - the rest of the people enjoy it for what it is..

lol. all those people who didn't want to pay $15 a month for the old republic were just nitpicking idiots who don't know how to have fun, if only they were as smart as the people who paid to keep playing a buggy pile of crap

quote:
Anyway I think the game owns - I don't find not having glowing highlighted arrows over NPC heads a detriment but a design choice for immersion.

i don't think anyone criticized the lack of "arrows?" though based on what i've read about the beta and bethesda's quest design philosophy since morrowind ("Investigate Joe's House to Find Evidence of a Crime" turning into "Enter Joe's House, Walk to the Quest Marker Arrow and Press the Action Button") i think you are grossly exaggerating this aspect of the design and there are probably plenty of arrows on your compass and the world map once you take a quest. if i am wrong then great, i'm glad bethesda's done away with that garbage, but i kind of doubt it

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:25 pm