FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Vegetable garden
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
TheDRAX

Vegetable garden

Anyone here grow their own vegetables? Last year I had a small whiskey barrel with a Tomato plant, strawberry and leeks. Only the Tomato produced though. This year I planted in a 10x4 raised bed with peppers squash cucumbers Tomatoes.

A small hobby that seems to (literally) grow each time I attempt it. Anyone else have experience or tips?

Post Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:20 pm 
Fast Luck

jordan has a farm

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:08 am 
Shotgun_

I grow my own vegetables also

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:01 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

i wanna do this but have only really done herbs so far

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:48 am 
SarX

I grow a garden all year long because of my climate here in Alabama. I also have chickens, pigs and rabbits I raise for meat. All Alabama jokes aside - its one of the best ways to be self sufficient and know where your meat comes from and what it has in it.

Some tips would be to have fun doing it! As for growing - make sure buy heirloom seeds instead of hybrid so you can save seed from the plants you grow each year. Also if you can do it - start your own compost heap from scraps of food, lawn clippings, animal poop, etc and spread it in your soil each year.

As for herbicides, insecticides and the like - your use of them would be more area specific because bugs/disease and fungus really seem to be area specific in most cases, try to use them to prevent problems. For me, aphids and fungus continue to be a problem yearly because of hot wet and hot it is here.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:36 pm 
SarX

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
i wanna do this but have only really done herbs so far

heh heh. What kind of herbs broseph?

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:36 pm 
SarX

Re: Vegetable garden

quote:
Originally posted by TheDRAX
Anyone here grow their own vegetables? Last year I had a small whiskey barrel with a Tomato plant, strawberry and leeks. Only the Tomato produced though. This year I planted in a 10x4 raised bed with peppers squash cucumbers Tomatoes.

A small hobby that seems to (literally) grow each time I attempt it. Anyone else have experience or tips?

Oh and good idea with the raised beds - they make everything easier and if you put the right stuff in them they maintain soil moisture better.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:38 pm 
Jon;

do u have the plant the grows tomatoes and potatoes simultaneously

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:40 pm 
SarX

lol Jon i thought you were fucking with me until I googled it, apparently its a real plant. Thats pretty cool.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:42 pm 
SarX

Re: Vegetable garden

quote:

The whiskey barrel idea sounds like simple overcrowding. Some vegetables are synergistic and aid others in growing, like Tomato and Basil etc. All plants need their own space, it usually gives you a recommendation on the back of the seed packet - however they also pull certain elements out of the ground that plants in close relation would need to mature to fruiting stage.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:46 pm 
SarX

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
do u have the plant the grows tomatoes and potatoes simultaneously

Jon, apparently its a splice between the plants and not a full hybrid plant. So theoretically you could do the same thing if you had both plants.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm 
Jon;

plants have feelings

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:57 pm 
TheDRAX

Sarx - cool insight, thanks. Yeah the whiskey barrel was over-crowded, but I didn't know much what I was doing and the tomato took over. I did enjoy it though. HOA would be none too understanding of the wildlife and my wife is practically a vegetarian so our wildlife would quickly turn into domesticated plants, I'm sure.

The main issue with insects I have is ants. I want to stay away from poisons, but I really don't know what else to do than to AMDRO those little bastards. I tried corn meal and other folklore methods. Do you have any suggestions as to handling fire ants? I'm in North Texas so our climates should be relatively similar with me having a little less humidity.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:32 pm 
foonat

quote:
Sarx - cool insight, thanks. Yeah the whiskey barrel was over-crowded, but I didn't know much what I was doing and the tomato took over. I did enjoy it though. HOA would be none too understanding of the wildlife and my wife is practically a vegetarian so our wildlife would quickly turn into domesticated plants, I'm sure.

i've always wanted to own a couple of acres to raise my own food on, but i wouldn't eat any of the animals and i'd end up with a bunch of pet chickens and pigs

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 pm 
SarX

quote:

The main issue with insects I have is ants. I want to stay away from poisons, but I really don't know what else to do than to AMDRO those little bastards. I tried corn meal and other folklore methods. Do you have any suggestions as to handling fire ants? I'm in North Texas so our climates should be relatively similar with me having a little less humidity.

Can't say I've had any issues with Fireants.. however crazy ants are invading so I might have to. Are the fireants damaging your plants or just bothering you while weeding? I think the slug removal method would work the same, if you bury small containers and fill them with water or beer the ants will be attracted, fall into them and die. However ant colonies are huge and even if you get the queen they will just raise another. You could also pour very hot water over the colony 3-4 times and kill them.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:51 pm 
SarX

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
quote:

i've always wanted to own a couple of acres to raise my own food on, but i wouldn't eat any of the animals and i'd end up with a bunch of pet chickens and pigs

This is why I name my animals food names.

Post Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:52 pm 
TheDRAX

Thanks again - definitely a fun hobby with a nice return.

Do you like the taste of rabbit? I've had it a handful of times and don't enjoy it much, camp fire grilled. I'm guessing you use it in a stew though?

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:22 pm 
SarX

Yeah its not bad at all. The taste also depends on the type of animal - a doe is better to eat. It also depends on how you kill the animal as to how it will taste... but anytime you have meat of any kind it will always taste better stewed because it breaks the meat down Smile

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:46 pm 
smurf_king

this guy pours molten aluminium into ant colonies, and sells the sculpture for a couple of hundred dollars on ebay Razz

www.anthillart.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:56 pm 
SarX

I watched this on youtube. Its pretty cool, but I try and avoid killing anything unless I'm going to eat it.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:16 pm 
Jordan4385

grow potatoes, make them into fries. they are amazing.

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:34 pm 
Fast Luck

did you do that jord?

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:42 pm 
Jordan4385

why i sure did

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

Post Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:50 pm 
woofy

quote:
quote:

lmao this

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:45 am 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by woofy
quote:
quote:

lmao this

I'd feel the same way. I feel bad enough eating meat considering how the animals were treated, but it's cooked, prepared, right in front of me and delicious. I'd never be able to slaughter my own animals, especially pigs. they're pretty cool. humans are going to rot in hell for how they've treated each other and animals on earth.

Post Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:07 pm 
TheDRAX

Any suggestions for getting prepared for fall/winter growing vegetables?

Post Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:52 am 
Jordan4385

quote:

what are you growing?

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 am 
woofy

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal

I'd feel the same way. I feel bad enough eating meat considering how the animals were treated, but it's cooked, prepared, right in front of me and delicious. I'd never be able to slaughter my own animals, especially pigs. they're pretty cool. humans are going to rot in hell for how they've treated each other and animals on earth.

i only eat what i can kill. i can kill fish/chickens, so i eat them. couldn't kill a mammal though, no red meat for this guy! nearly 3 yrs strong now

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:25 am 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by Jordan4385
quote:

what are you growing?

Im growing a big pair of balls...

For fall some cabbage and cauliflower.

Post Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:42 pm 
Jordan4385

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal

get your vagina out of here bro.

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:26 pm