FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Dark Souls 2 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ArchAngel

Post Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:37 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
BanMe

I kill the fatty first. He takes way more per hit. Tough part is lining them up so they are always in front of you, but with some patience it's not too tough.

Other dude in super-mode is easy except for his spear impale, which I finally learned you have to dodge backwards on to escape. After that pretty ez. Many deaths, but at least I recovered my souls each time

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:01 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

if anyone wants to play this on pc but hasn't yet its $5 on steam until tomorrow

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:08 pm 
ArchAngel

you can get the Leo ring if you kill Ornstein last. Nice job on that he is way harder of the two in their super mode. thats also a great place to use your white sign soap stone and be summoned to help others. Quite a large amount of souls for each successful boss kill. If you're in the sunlight covenant you can collect sunlight medals as well.. which can be traded in in NG+ for some great lightning spear miracle.. hefty dmg.

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

i dont feel like starting a new thread but holy hell this is the worst fucking steam sale ever. i swear a blood oath of vengeance against gabe newell for these shitty deals

cs:go is technically like a 10 year old game now and it won't drop below 50%, it should probably be f2p anyway. new vegas complete won't go below 7 bucks when i got it for 5 in the winter. i keep waiting for the new (but not THAT new) crusader kings 2 and europa universalis 4 dlc to go on sale and it never does. everything that's actually a good deal is some pixel art/"roguelike"/"indie"/minecraft clone dogshit that would be a waste of money if you pirated it

fuck...

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:59 am 
BanMe

So I'm about SL 84 now, knee deep in a STR/DEX build. I see that the claymore is supposed to be pretty badass, so I get that. I get it to +10, look at my options, and decide yeah i'll go crystal so i keep my physical damage and stat scaling. Damn, is it fucking good. Wrecking shit all over.

Next thing I know its got 6/20 durability... and I cant repair or revert it. So by upgrading it to crystal, I've ruined the best weapon in the game. This fucking trolling piece of shit game....

Followed up by upgrading the bastard sword but its not the same.. now not sure what to roll with. I think I'm almost at my last boss in the giants cave though

Post Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:18 pm 
ArchAngel

Claymore is good.. def. not the best weapon though Razz Yeah the Crystal ascension wrecks durability.. You can reinforce it to repair it but once it breaks it's done for good. and you can't repair like you said..

STR+DEX weapons would be like, a great axe.. I know the black knight great axe scales with str and dex.. you may also want to look in to the Abyss great-sword or GSoA (but those have a FTH requirement) .. one of the few weps that scale with all stats though. The Darksword also is C/C scaling.. but really strong when its upgraded. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dark-sword

the giant's cave?? is that the crystal caves you mean?? Seath is at the end there.. he's one of the 4 lord souls :O best of luck! Chop off his tail for the Moonlight (zelda) greatsword! Very Happy

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:56 am 
BanMe

quote:
Originally posted by ArchAngel
Claymore is good.. def. not the best weapon though Razz Yeah the Crystal ascension wrecks durability.. You can reinforce it to repair it but once it breaks it's done for good. and you can't repair like you said..

STR+DEX weapons would be like, a great axe.. I know the black knight great axe scales with str and dex.. you may also want to look in to the Abyss great-sword or GSoA (but those have a FTH requirement) .. one of the few weps that scale with all stats though. The Darksword also is C/C scaling.. but really strong when its upgraded. http://darksouls.wikidot.com/dark-sword

the giant's cave?? is that the crystal caves you mean?? Seath is at the end there.. he's one of the 4 lord souls :O best of luck! Chop off his tail for the Moonlight (zelda) greatsword! Very Happy

No tomb of giants i mean sorry. Seath is dead, took him out second try. Yeah I was gonna try and farm the black knight axe, but he didnt drop it the first time even though I bumped up to 4 humanity. Hopefully he respawns, I want to try that sucker out.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:59 am 
Thomas29

Well that is just How the Cookie Crumbles My Son.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:36 pm 
ArchAngel

have to admit.. tomb of giants is one of the most epic feeling & places in gaming ive ever experienced. you kind of have to go in there with the skull lantern or sunlight maggot. but what an awesome place. good luck in there. it's a lot of fun.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:56 pm 
Fat Albert

Wow, don't even know why I decided to come to this site, but can't believe it's still active haha!

Anyway, I don't play games much anymore, but I decided to give this stupid fucking Dark Souls II a try. I've never spent so much time to make such little progress in a game. I've also never been so physically angry at a game that I've thrown a controller down onto the ground, not really caring if it breaks or not.

But I just can't quit it!! I'm going to finish it at some point, and it will probably take me months at the pace I've been going. I hope to hell that it turns into an incredible story and makes it all worthwhile...

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:14 pm 
Winchester

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Albert
Wow, don't even know why I decided to come to this site, but can't believe it's still active haha!

You've sure missed alot

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:10 pm 
BanMe

quote:
Originally posted by ArchAngel
have to admit.. tomb of giants is one of the most epic feeling & places in gaming ive ever experienced. you kind of have to go in there with the skull lantern or sunlight maggot. but what an awesome place. good luck in there. it's a lot of fun.

Yeah I'm using the sunlight maggot. I was at like 10% hp with no estus left looking for the bonpfire desperately near the entrance. I tried to kill that dude that kicked me off the cliff anyway. Of course he just fell off the cliff and didn't die. Thankfully I found the bonfire right next to that spot

Post Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 pm 
BanMe

Welp I beat it at around SL 85. Used Chaos Blade +5 to take out the boss. Once I got the Crest of Artorias and was able to farm up the fighters near the entrance of the seal, together with the lightning spear that turned the corner and made the rest of the game pretty easy. I then upgraded the chaosblade and would just 2hand slash at bosses, drinking pots when I needed. Fairly easy. The final boss was a little more interesting, but with 20 pots it was just a case of block twice then strike, and have patience with the pattern.

Their systems are super archaic (weapons and upgrades), and while I understand that can help with a cult following and motivate people to figure it out - I find it pretty annoying and think they could have found a better middle-ground for usability. I don't want to be forced to read a strategy guide which feels like cheating, or grind the shit out of the system just to understand it. I ended up googling certain things, but it was mostly just which weapon should I invest in, or where to go once the LordVessel opened up.

I think that one of the main draws of the game is simply the Bonfire system. The threat of death and loss - with the safety net of being able to recover your corpse through 1 death - is really intriguing and addicting. It makes everything so much more meaningful. It reminds me of the first Diablo, where if you died you lost all your shit and had to fight back to your corpse to get it. I think that was one of the really alluring parts of D1, which gave much more meaning to the core gameplay. Most games have lost that spirit, and just copy the newbified conventions that have been recycled over the last decade+. I wonder if that sort of risk/reward feeling could be applied as a Multiplayer system...

Anyway cool game, I found it more approachable than Demon Souls... although thats probably because I played it on PC and could easily alt-tab to check the dark souls wiki when I was stuck or had a question. Since the ability to grind spoiled the challenge, I'm looking forward to more meaning to failure in DS2. There's not much of a story to follow, really disconnected tidbits which are difficult to follow unless you are super dedicated and ready to do additional internet research. But if you like a tough single player game that makes you feel proud of winning, like you accomplished something by beating it - it's one of the best games out there for that.

Not going to bother with NG+, instead gonna move onto Dark Souls 2. Should be posting about that soon enough Wink

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:52 pm 
Allstar

holy balls its fat albert

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:40 pm 
ArchAngel

fuck yeah man thats great. beating it is a really good feeling. you definitely hit the hammer on the head with the risk / reward thing.. playin it with your friends around watching you just is somethin epic too. You get some hilarious moments of frustration and joking. I was really stoked about DSII because I got so fucking good with parrying and then the mechanic kind of changed up a bit in 2 just slightly enough to fuck up your timing. You can kill Gwyn with 3-4 parries.. and parrying his jump attack is the most bad-ass thing in the game.

I look forward to your DS2 experience.. reading these as you guys go thru it is great. love hearin other people's experiences with a game I sank so much time in to mastering. same w/ 2. best of luck. You will need it. *breaks copper coin*

Post Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:25 pm