Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Selling my Tower of Power
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
hassan-i-sabbah

im getting a new i5 this weekend and building a new pc, gonna be sick

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:36 am 
KingHillBilly

I want to build a new PC... but

I still have a core i7 870 oc to 3.8ghz from 4 years ago.
It still crushes everything I do..
16GB ram
5tb hard drives w/ 512 ssd x2 300gb raptors

The only thing I could upgrade is my graphics card, 660 Ti, I've debated pulling the trigger but a 760/770 aren't a big enough improvement for the money, and I know as soon as I drop cash on a 780 ti they're going to announce the non shitty low end maxwells...

Ah well #masterraceproblems

I think I'm going to use a full tower case next time. My mid tower has been OK but it still gets too tight with huge video cards and tons of hard drives.

Alright i'm done sharing for this decade.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
KingHillBilly

Chayliss, the specs on your machine are not very good.

The 9800GTX is the same card as the 8800gtx.

That's 4 video cards ago for me and technology from 2007/2008.

8800gtx, 295gtx, 580gtx (died), 660ti

The ram is low but decent for gaming, the cpu is slow.

There aren't many games that pc is going to "own".

I would spend 150$ on it to use it for other things, torrent server or something. No one who knows anything about computers will spend more.

You could convince a leyperson to buy it for double that maybe. Not much more.

Computers aren't appreciable assets.

No one is getting 80% of value for their Galaxy S2.

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Jon;

did u like anchorman 2

Post Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:37 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

can anyone give a summary on nvidia vs amd these days? which one and which chipset is the best choice for a mid-rangeish card that's good for games in the $120-200 range? best manufacturers?

i got a radeon 6770 a bit over two years ago and it wasn't the craziest card on the market at the time but its done pretty well at just about everything i've thrown at it up until now, it still actually plays most newer games really well. when i build my system this weekend i'm going to keep it for now but its starting to show some age (not nearly as much as the processor though) and i'm looking to replace it maybe by the end of the year. would like something of similar power/longevity or maybe a little nicer, don't really need anything too insane

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:35 am 
GreenPlastic

This is updated monthly so you can check up on it when you are ready to buy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-3.html

Also, if you are looking to buy now this is probably the best value on a GTX 660. You get Daylight free with Nvidia cards this month. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133470

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

that tom's hardware link is perfect, thank you

quote:

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:46 am 
foonat

whoa i bought this GTX 660 for $170 with a $20 MIR and free shipping back in November during the black friday sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443

I'd hold off and wait until one comes on sale, or better yet, wait till black friday sales. i upgrade my rig every year during that sale

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:53 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

whatever i get (looks like radeon 260x or geforce gtx 660 are what i want from that article) i'm definitely waiting for it to go on sale. newegg has 5 different sales a week and there's no reason to pay full price. i already got a 500W power supply when i got my last card and its been going pretty strong so i will likely reuse that

i got my mobo and memory today, case last week, when i get paid on friday i'm going to get the cpu and heatsink from micro center (having one of these in the area is sick, their cpu prices own) and just bring over the video, psu and hdd from my current pc for now and look at upgrading my video and getting a SSD by the end of the year whenever the stuff i want goes on sale/i can afford it

i've never built totally from scratch before so this should be interesting, i've replaced/installed pretty much everything except a processor by now though

quote:

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:10 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

speaking of power supply, is it ok if my psu is right at the "minimum" for a card, i.e. if the minimum is 500W is 500W ok or do you want a little more to be safe? my instinct tells me the former, especially because it seems like those minimum wattages are estimates at best (wouldn't it depend on the overall system?), but i dunno because im a retard

i tried adding the best reviewed 260x (just because it has a higher wattage minimum) to my build on pcpartpicker as a test and it says my estimated system wattage is 303w, but i have no clue how accurate that is

quote:

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:15 am 
GreenPlastic

This asus power calculator is pretty good. http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

Of all the parts on your comp, power supply is the one you don't want to cheap out on.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:41 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i know that's why i got a decent 500W a couple years ago. i'd like to keep using it if it can handle my new one but obviously like you say you can't skimp on that

that's another good link, thanks again

quote:

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 am 
GreenPlastic

Also, when it comes to graphics cards, nvidia cards use less power than amd at load. That means you'll be more likely to be able to use your current power supply if you stick with an Nvidia gpu vs AMD. Could be a money saver in terms of not buying another power supply and because you won't be spending more on electricity for comparable performance.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:59 am 
KingHillBilly

On the edge with a power supply can be iffy - it can lead to hardware failure and poor performance.

If you're going AMD I would recommend upgrading your power supply. I have a 750 I bought years ago that's still going strong.

To figure out what you need, you need to know the max TDP of your major components (thermal design power).

If the max for your card/cpu exceed 90% of your power supply, you will probably have problems.

500 is on the borderline, If you're going to get a mid range card and a good cpu I would upgrade to at least 700.

Nick

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:04 pm 
foonat

if it helps, this is my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 i'm running the video card i linked above and an i5 2500k. i got it on sale for $65 bucks a couple of yrs ago

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:12 pm 
KingHillBilly

I have a pc power and cooling 750 I've had for 6 years, love it but they were bought by ocz, so not sure what they're like now.

If you're picking up from microcenter, the corsair psu's are nice, there's a good deal on one right now.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425477/CS_Series_CS750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

100$ after rebate for a 750watt gold plus is a good value.

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:16 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
if it helps, this is my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 i'm running the video card i linked above and an i5 2500k. i got it on sale for $65 bucks a couple of yrs ago

this is mine with more wattage. i'm not sure why i didn't spring for this 650 at the time

quote:
Originally posted by KingHillBilly
I have a pc power and cooling 750 I've had for 6 years, love it but they were bought by ocz, so not sure what they're like now.

If you're picking up from microcenter, the corsair psu's are nice, there's a good deal on one right now.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/425477/CS_Series_CS750M_750_Watt_ATX_Modular_Power_Supply

100$ after rebate for a 750watt gold plus is a good value.

thx, yeah micro center has some sick deals especially on processors, their regular intel prices are consistently way lower than most places sale prices. i'm glad i got one in the area. the video card/psu will probably be something i pick up later in the year (or i might get hype after putting all this together and just buy it) but i'll bookmark this thread for a reference

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:53 pm 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:

this is mine with more wattage. i'm not sure why i didn't spring for this 650 at the time

i used to fall victim to this before - i'd see one i really wanted, and one slightly worse for a little cheaper, and buy the cheaper one. now i just get the more expensive one and deal with the consequences later Cool

Post Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:44 pm 
Lightbringer-

My first PSU was a chinese garbage rated at '450watts'. Cost about $10. Yeah that expensive. After 2 years of 24/7 use, it started making loud sounds while the fan was on.
Disassembled it, cleaned it and lubed the fan with cooking oil. Yeah you heard it right. It happily worked for 1.5 to 2 more years and stopped working. Took it out again and tried to do revive it. The fan was giving signs of being able to work at some point (randomly turning on/off intermitently) then suddenly, mini boom.

It died. Bought another $10 garbage rated at 500watts and used for 1 year but that piece of chinese garbage would not run my 6850 which I fitted later on. After much trials and permutations I could not get my system stable with the lack of juice from the PSU. I even thought that it killed my HDD at one point.

I resorted to buy a real PSU Antec HG650 something. Bronze + I think. Very low sound from the PSU. Really heavy and oozing quality. Thinking back, I don't think I will ever skimp on a quality PSU especially when my rig is normally on 24/7!

Thank you for reading. I was at work and had nothing better to do.

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:25 am 
Winchester

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-

Lol

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:06 am 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by Winchester
quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-

Lol

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:50 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i'm cheap but some off brand chinese psu is some bad news

quote:

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 am 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:

i used to fall victim to this before - i'd see one i really wanted, and one slightly worse for a little cheaper, and buy the cheaper one. now i just get the more expensive one and deal with the consequences later Cool[/quote]

damn son, yolo swag lifestyle here Cool

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:08 am 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
quote:

i used to fall victim to this before - i'd see one i really wanted, and one slightly worse for a little cheaper, and buy the cheaper one. now i just get the more expensive one and deal with the consequences later Cool

damn son, yolo swag lifestyle here Cool[/quote]ya man got that $150 mobo instead of the $125 mobo

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:48 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

how did i do that crappy of a quote job? im baffled, thats one of the worst ive ever seen. open tags, the text is totally not in the right spot.

its like i havent been an active member of this forum for 15 years or something

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:11 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
how did i do that crappy of a quote job? im baffled, thats one of the worst ive ever seen. open tags, the text is totally not in the right spot.

its like i havent been an active member of this forum for 15 years or something

haha, los...oh...oh god

Post Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:17 pm 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
Worth maybe 150$, 200 with the monitor.

Thx bro....2 bills then. Hell this phone was more than that...
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
stoned@chayliss

Khb rules , when I get to a keyboard and monitor IMA catch up on this thread.

quote:
I respect players like Chayliss
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
NeRzyMan

I would always check microcenter, they have great sales. I got an asrock z77 extreme 4 and an i5 3570k for 300 in 2012

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:51 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

micro center is some win.

quote:

Post Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 am