FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

I bought my first smart phone the other day
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
terror-kahn

I bought my first smart phone the other day

i went to some android forums to find out how to get around my inability to tether my phone to my PC and steal the 3G from the phone and use it on my laptop.... and i got sucked in.

now im rooting my phone, getting ready to flash a new ROM to it and all sorts of other modification type shit

im complete newb at all of this but it seems like a lot of fun Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Bobbo

Haha damn TK I thought I was the only one in the country with a dumb-phone still (maybe I am now). At this point my phone is just so old that it's cool (I hope). Phone hipsters unite!

^My actual phone (of 10 years)

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo
Haha damn TK I thought I was the only one in the country with a dumb-phone still (maybe I am now). At this point my phone is just so old that it's cool (I hope). Phone hipsters unite!

here's my phone

i think i DONT need to pay $30/month extra to have a smart phone with data service how about that. im already on the computer all day at work and have a computer at home. capitalism always has ot invent new "necessities" to survive and smartphones are one of them. funny how many people have told me "bwuhhh, you need a smart phone!" family always trying ot make me get one and every birthday/christmas i have to say NO TABLETS/SMART PHONES/EREADERS PLEASE because everyone is trying to foist this stuff on me. one time i got both a kindle and a kindle fire thingy the same day, returned it all adn i felt bad about returning gifts but :/ i dont need this shit, therefore i dont want it
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:48 pm 
Bobbo

SHIT blid we think very alike, why are we not better friends? Come have a beer with me in Philly, dickhead! Cool I'll call your shitty phone with mine!

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

i actually don't even have a cell phone at all anymore. At first I was going to just get rid of my smartphone (i never really used many of the "smart" features of it), but then I ended up never getting another cell phone to replace the smart one. This was about 6 months ago.

the only thing that I don;t like about not having a phone is my gf is not able to contact me when I am out of the office or not at home. Besides that, being phoneless is 100% ownage.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:58 pm 
TheDRAX

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
i actually don't even have a cell phone at all anymore. At first I was going to just get rid of my smartphone (i never really used many of the "smart" features of it), but then I ended up never getting another cell phone to replace the smart one. This was about 6 months ago.

the only thing that I don;t like about not having a phone is my gf is not able to contact me when I am out of the office or not at home. Besides that, being phoneless is 100% ownage.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK that

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:10 pm 
Sparkz102

quote:

I am so very close to doing this. I had a chocolate back in 05 then had a prepaid piece of trash from net 10 for 3yrs. 2 yrs ago I bought myself an iphone 4s for a x-mas present for myself

back then I could justify 100$ a month of usage - now, its an alarm clock.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:13 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102

back then I could justify 100$ a month of usage - now, its an alarm clock.

my smart phone is now an alarm clock as well. I still take the dumbsmartphone with me everyday also because 1) when I am in a WiFi hotspot its just a handheld computer, who needs service and 2) I can play scrabble and chess against the phone on the train ride home.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:19 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:

wow, thats wild. i had a lot of fights with my ex when i didn't have a cellphone (back 10+ years ago) cuz when we were meeting somewhere or osmething if there was ever a mixup i'd get pwned for not having a cell phone. also no cell phone = no text msgs and everyone prefers to communicate by txt msg these days. although not having a cell phone is a pretty good way to resist that, rofl

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:22 pm 
Swift

I've never used a smart phone, but for business/work purposes I can see some of the features being of great benefit as opposed to packing a laptop or whatever around with you.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:24 pm 
Fast Luck

and yah an unhooked smart phone can still do some decent shit + camera + music, decent device.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:25 pm 
terror-kahn

im with u bobbo.. the main reason i got it was because it's unlimited 3G data (~ 1Mbps upload/1Mbps download ... fast enough for me) so i can cancel my Charter, spend less time sitting on my laptop, and just turn my phone into a wi-fi hotspot when i need to do something on the laptop. save $35ish a month Smile

but now im hooked on all of the other possibilities... mainly removing all of the "bloatware" (apps/shit that comes with the phone that i will never use and just slows it down) and upgrading other apps that i will have a lot of use for like GPS for example.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
quote:

wow, thats wild. i had a lot of fights with my ex when i didn't have a cellphone (back 10+ years ago) cuz when we were meeting somewhere or osmething if there was ever a mixup i'd get pwned for not having a cell phone. also no cell phone = no text msgs and everyone prefers to communicate by txt msg these days. although not having a cell phone is a pretty good way to resist that, rofl

to be honest, GChat is enough of text messaging for me. People can text my google voice# from their phone, I can respond from my computer. So during those times when I am out and about, sure I can't receive or respond to text messages in a timely fashion. But that is fine. I spend like 80% of my day in very close proximity to a computer, so I am accessible. And those other 20% when I am going skiing or watching a basketball game or whatever...well im out of contact and I think thats ok.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:45 pm 
smurf_king

yah i was without smart phone until just recently cuz work handed it to me.

i didnt buy it.

but $30/mo ?

i pay $15/mo and i have 500minutes worth to any landline or cellphone # in Mexico, USA and Canada.

unlimited data if sent/received by social networks (facebook, youtube, twitter, gmail, whatsapp)

unlimited calls to phone #s in same company

200sms and 250MB of navigation Razz

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:54 pm 
terror-kahn

im saving $30 a month for my internet if im able to set up a wi-fi hotspot with my phone

my phone plan is unlimited everything (text talk data) for $40 a month... which is a pretty good deal here in the U.S... i was paying $50 a month with a shittier phone (blackberry style) but had limited data.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:12 pm 
smurf_king

what sux is

android smartphone hooked to 3g data = battery lasts 24 hours

unhooked to 3g but hooked to wifi = battery lasts 3 or 4 days wtf

this just translates in the battery dying prematurely Razz

i heard making it root and doing some shit might solve it but its a headache i havent had to mood to investigate Razz

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 pm 
terror-kahn

when i run 3g from my laptop to my phone i have the USB connected to the phone.. so i enjoy internet from my phone WHILE charging my phone via USB

winning Cool

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:35 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo

Hell yeah.
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:40 pm 
Fast Luck

Anyone else surprised that a bunch of guys on a forum dedicated to a game from 1995 don't have the most up-to-date technological devices?

quote:

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:17 pm 
GreenPlastic

Using your phone for internet is nice but you will figure out soon enough that your w2 playing days are over. On the bright side, you'll now have more time for an even older game than w2...chess.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:23 pm 
terror-kahn

other than hopping on war2 when im taking the kids to somewhere with a good wif-hot spot (mcdonalds or the near by mall) i probably wont be on too much.. i've only logged on like 3-5 times in the last couple weeks even with internet on my laptop

i need to spend more time with the family these days.. with an occasional game of chess/war2 when i get a chance rather than the other way around =/

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:52 pm 
SoCzNedoK

quote:
Anyone else surprised that a bunch of guys on a forum dedicated to a game from 1995 don't have the most up-to-date technological devices?

haha yeah

i also don't have a smart phone, don't need yet another distraction in my daily life. im pretty maxed out on entertainment between netflix and warcraft 2.

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

distractions are bad for your brain. that's, like, an actual real fact.

quote:

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:34 pm 
Lightbringer-

I can't swith to a dumb phone now. So much you can do with it.

Raping dugs on chess while commuting
Checking mails
Browse and comment on the many forums I use on tapatalk
Log my cycling activities on strava
Google maps
Youtubing stuffs

So much more Smile

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:24 pm 
stoned@chayliss

i gots a flip phone...its rugged

my ol lady just spend 250 on a iphone 4s or 4c or whatever..USED..

plus another 50 for a new sim card or whatever to have it work on whatever the family walmart plan is....

my flip wont even text but it can surf

quote:
Originally posted by KingHillBilly
I respect players like Chayliss
quote:
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:41 am 
foonat

why in the world would she do that when u can sign a pretty cheap monthly contract with most service providers and get a free or relatively cheap smartphone

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:41 am 
Sentinel

weird, i dont have a smart phone, either.

when do young people think about stuff nowadays?

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:06 am 
smurf_king

ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํ (◔ д◔) ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํ (◔ д◔) ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ... (̅_̅ _̅(̅(̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅̅(ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king
ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํ (◔ д◔) ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ฏ๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎๎ํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํํ (◔ д◔) ค้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ... (̅_̅ _̅(̅(̅_̅_̅_̅_̅_̅̅(ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:12 am 
KingHillBilly

quote:
Originally posted by Swift
I've never used a smart phone, but for business/work purposes I can see some of the features being of great benefit as opposed to packing a laptop or whatever around with you.

Never used a smart phone? What the fuck is wrong with you.

Post Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote