Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

Math Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
7VlesSiah

quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
Lol Messiah copy and pasted Bobbos work to try and look smart

Dude, I wrote quite a few actuarial exams. Probability and statistics is pretty much second nature.

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:14 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
Dude, I wrote quite a few actuarial exams. Probability and statistics is pretty much second nature.

A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:22 pm 
woofy

quote:
Originally posted by foonat

hahah

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:19 am 
Bobbo

Shit, messiah are you an actuary? I was thinking about moving into that eventually if I get sick of what I'm currently doing because it seems to be a kick ass job in terms of pay/job satisfaction. In other words, the complete opposite of academia with respect to both. If you are, plz hook me up with a job some day, kthx! Smile

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Shotgun_

Re: Math Problem

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
quote:
Originally posted by x
If you have a pool of 8 friends and can only choose 5 to go camping, how many possible groups could you bring?

What if two friends don't like each other and you couldn't bring them together?

8 C 5 = ogrerush

6C4 +6C4 +6C5 = ogrerush

i feel like after so many years of ogre rush jokes, i shouldn't find these as funny as i do

I just read it again and am lolling lol

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:38 am 
Lightbringer-

I'm so weak at Maths, I don't have a clue what Messiah said.

Post Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:33 am 
ChrisLui

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo
Shit, messiah are you an actuary? I was thinking about moving into that eventually if I get sick of what I'm currently doing because it seems to be a kick ass job in terms of pay/job satisfaction. In other words, the complete opposite of academia with respect to both. If you are, plz hook me up with a job some day, kthx! Smile
Which area do you do research in?

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:54 pm 
Bobbo

My usual response is just "I study algebraic geometry", but I'll say a bit more in case you're an uber-math-nerd with similar interests.

My thesis consists of two projects which are motivated by physics (heterotic string theory). I use a combination of complex algebraic geometry (sometimes using schemes ), homological algebra (i.e. derived categories and long exact sequences up the wazoo mainly), differential geometry , category theory (actually 2-categories where morphisms have morphisms, yo dawg), topology (lots of use of intersection of cycles, characteristic classes), as well as equivariant analogues of all of the above (because I want to deal with quotient spaces and this is how to describe objects on these quotient spaces). So, I really don't have an "area" of math. I tried to be broad and have a lot of other interests (namely toric varieties, symplectic geometry) which I'd like to pursue as well.

I chose complex algebraic geometry as an initial topic since I loved how it seemingly could be looked at from so many different perspectives (alg geometry way, differential geometry way, topologically, and analytically) so that there was always a clever/slick proof of anything if you used the right tools (of which they are MANY). It is such a beautiful area of math, and apparently becomes the natural setting for a lot of theories in modern theoretical physics (I only understand more classical physics - this string theory stuff I just deal with the math since I have no idea wtf is going on with the physics).

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

what school are you at right now bobbo? i assume its a school anyway? i'm not a math guy just curious. drexel or penn or something?

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:54 am 
Jon;

lol string theory. that's heavy shit. do you have any interest at all in quantum mechanics?

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:09 am 
Bobbo

I'm at Upenn, not for much longer though! Smile

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:10 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

ah, cheers

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:16 am 
Bobbo

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
lol string theory. that's heavy shit. do you have any interest at all in quantum mechanics?

I really do like QM because it has a nice solid mathematical foundation which is understandable and actually pretty elegant. It I'm definitely not an expert though. Are you interest in QM? Want to start a war2 physics club???

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:17 am 
foonat

quote:
quote:

I really do like QM because it has a nice solid mathematical foundation which is understandable and actually pretty elegant. It I'm definitely not an expert though. Are you interest in QM? Want to start a war2 physics club???
i think we need a war2 physics forum

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:39 am 
Bobbo

quote:
quote:
quote:

i think we need a war2 physics forum

Complete with a "flat-earthers" subforum, imho.

Post Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:32 am