FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

Moving to south florida maybe

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Bobbo

Moving to south florida maybe

Hey fellow war2 nerds. I'm considering taking a job in Ft. Lauderdale. I've never been there before and I'm not sure wtf to expect. Any of you guys live around there or have any strong opinions/advice? I value your opinions, war2 brothers. I've lived in Pittsburgh+Philadelphia my entire life so I'm a little afraid of how different it will be. ALSO, if any of you live down there and want to hang out with me IRL call me up bro! I will have 0 friends there if I move there (other than my fiance and cats).

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
GreenPlastic

Viruz was gonna reply until you posted you had cats. He doesn't like pussies so you blew your shot.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:14 am 
~Dakine..HeX

ive never lived in florida, but ive spent some time in the miami area, st petersburg/tampa and Orlando

Miami and Tampa were pretty cool, especially if you're making good money and can afford to live in a nice place hopefully by the ocean. I feel like FL wouldn't be a very fun place to be poor, because the cool sexy beach areas give way to hot and humid ghettos pretty quickly. but if you're considering taking a job that will relocate you, you probably won't be that poor.

probably foonat should chime in, hes the resident miami expert

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:29 am 
Jon;

expect to fall into a sinkhole

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:27 am 
GenOciDe-

quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
expect to fall into a sinkhole

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 pm 
foonat

Re: Moving to south florida maybe

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo
Hey fellow war2 nerds. I'm considering taking a job in Ft. Lauderdale. I've never been there before and I'm not sure wtf to expect. Any of you guys live around there or have any strong opinions/advice? I value your opinions, war2 brothers. I've lived in Pittsburgh+Philadelphia my entire life so I'm a little afraid of how different it will be. ALSO, if any of you live down there and want to hang out with me IRL call me up bro! I will have 0 friends there if I move there (other than my fiance and cats).
i'm from miami and my brother currently lives and works in ft. lauderdale so i'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. it's hard to give you a general opinion though since i don't know what you like...do you have any specific or general questions/concerns?

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:55 pm 
Bobbo

I've heard people there are much less friendly on average in comparison to the rest of the country - do you think this is true? I'm coming from Philly so I can't imagine people being much worse, haha. I'm just a bit worried about making new friends if it is true.

Are there any neighborhoods/areas you'd recommend if I'm interested in being able to walk/bike most places (including the beach, hopefully) but not have to spend a shitload of money on rent? I would like to be as close to bars/restaurants/theaters/venues as possible, not get shot when I walk outside, and spend the least amount of money to satisfy these conditions. I could also live in Miami and commute, because my fiance will likely be working down there anyways, so I'm considering there as well. I hear traffic fucking blows down there but I'm kind of used to that here in Philly.

If I took this job I'd have more free time and would be interested in getting back into music. Do you know if there's a good indie music scene down there and/or places for noobs to play? Any fun hipster bars where my melodic funk death metal rap band can perform on Sunday afternoons? I particularly like the artsy-fartsy weirdo type of people, but I imagine Ft. Lauderdale as just a bunch of old people sitting on yachts. I would like to avoid living in places where I would be surrounded by old people living out their last days and be in a more vibrant younger community.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:39 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
SoCzNedoK

you should move to charlotte nc its cool here. gets too hot in fl

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  Reply with quote  
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by Bobbo
I've heard people there are much less friendly on average in comparison to the rest of the country - do you think this is true? I'm coming from Philly so I can't imagine people being much worse, haha. I'm just a bit worried about making new friends if it is true.

Are there any neighborhoods/areas you'd recommend if I'm interested in being able to walk/bike most places (including the beach, hopefully) but not have to spend a shitload of money on rent? I would like to be as close to bars/restaurants/theaters/venues as possible, not get shot when I walk outside, and spend the least amount of money to satisfy these conditions. I could also live in Miami and commute, because my fiance will likely be working down there anyways, so I'm considering there as well. I hear traffic fucking blows down there but I'm kind of used to that here in Philly.

If I took this job I'd have more free time and would be interested in getting back into music. Do you know if there's a good indie music scene down there and/or places for noobs to play? Any fun hipster bars where my melodic funk death metal rap band can perform on Sunday afternoons? I particularly like the artsy-fartsy weirdo type of people, but I imagine Ft. Lauderdale as just a bunch of old people sitting on yachts. I would like to avoid living in places where I would be surrounded by old people living out their last days and be in a more vibrant younger community.

yes, people are very unfriendly in general. i've lived in miami, gainesville and iowa and can say that people in iowa are much friendlier and "warm" in general than people in florida. but, of course that doesn't mean there aren't friendly people. i don't think you'll have a hard time meeting people and making friends especially if you're going to work somewhere with people similar to you that you can connect with

the best spot to live in ft. lauderdale is the las olas area. this is a pretty nice area with tons of bars/restaurants and close to the beach. honestly, i have no idea how much rent is around there...i've got friends that live there so i can ask them how much they pay and more or less where they live. i also love theaters (i'm assuming you mean movie theaters - particularly the small 1 screen spots that exclusively show independent and foreign films) but do not know how the theater situation is in ft. lauderdale. miami has a TON of these, which is awesome. check out miami beach cinematheque, wynwood cinema, tower theater, cosford theater, and coral gables art cinema

you could live in miami and commute to ft lauderdale - my brother did this for a year. the advantage is you are against traffic, since most people live in ft. lauderdale and commute to work in miami, but you're still going to be looking at a pretty good hike home (30 mins to an hour, depending what areas you're living or working in). and yes, traffic in miami is horrible and worse than ft. lauderdale. i've been to philly and i think miami is worse, mainly because public transportation is nonexistent. you basically can't go anywhere from 8-9 am and from ~5-7 pm. another downside is it is generally more expensive to live in miami than ft. lauderdale, so that is something to consider. for example, i have a buddy that lives in a 1 bedroom apt. in the Brickell area and he pays $1200/mo and it doesn't include anything. i think you can do better than that in the las olas area.

however, all that said, if your fiancee is going to be working in miami, the miami->ft lauderdale drive in the afternoon and vice versa in the morning is going to suck major donkey balls. so, if you guys are trying to minimize your collective level of annoyance with commuting, i think you're better off living in miami and you biting the bullet instead of her.

yes, there is a good indie music scene in miami. in particular, check out the design district/wynwood, and the downtown area. i've never been, but heard that north beach has a ton of bars as well that you could play at. i don't know about this with regards to ft. lauderdale but can ask my brother.

with regards to the old people, i'd say ft. lauderdale and miami both have a ton of old rich people sitting on yachts, you just have to know where to live/go. las olas in ft. lauderdale is old people free, as is the brickell area in miami. anyway hope that helps, if you have any other Qs feel free to ask and i can tell my brother that my internet friend has some questions for him as well :0

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:29 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

philly people are such assholes they make new yorkers seem nice and chill

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:08 pm 
Bobbo

Thanks foonat! This is a good info. I will seriously consider looking further into those places in Miami. Maybe I'll come check em out next week when I visit. I am excited to experience warm weather for a change! Very Happy

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
philly people are such assholes they make new yorkers seem nice and chill

Haha yeah, and it's especially evident driving around the city. Still, I absolutely love Philadelphia as a whole. I'm going to miss it so much. You're running out of time to hang out with me, ghostnuke!

Post Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 pm 
foonat

update on why florida is awful http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/10/3382461/notorious-florida-prosecutor-sent-more-than-twice-as-many-inmates-to-death-row/

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:49 pm 
ORKinman2

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
update on why florida is awful http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/10/3382461/notorious-florida-prosecutor-sent-more-than-twice-as-many-inmates-to-death-row/

I'm a native Floridian and I just moved back here for a couple of years, but I have to agree that we are the most corrupt state. Our Governor is Rick Scott, a man who should've been placed in prison for billions of dollars in federal fraud...And he's the GOVERNOR, how stupid are people in Florida?

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:27 pm 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by ORKinman2
how stupid are people in Florida?

not any dumber than the rest of america

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:38 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
quote:

you're wrong and have obviously never been to florida
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 pm 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:
quote:

you're wrong and have obviously never been to florida
- a retard from north carolina

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:45 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

like i said, never been to florida

quote:

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:55 pm 
Jon;

it's a shit hole that won't exist in 50 years. no dumber than the rest of America tho.

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:00 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

ok jon.

quote:

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:03 pm 
Jon;

not sure how you think florida is dumber than any other southern state, or how you think you need to physically be in flordia to know...

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:06 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

your grandparents live there, for one

quote:

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:18 pm 
Jon;

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:32 pm 
foonat

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/17/3410511/this-one-statistic-tells-you-all-you-need-to-know-about-how-racist-the-death-penalty-is/

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:56 am 
smurf_king

moving to south FLUORida ?

Post Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:38 am