FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

How might Koreans play war2?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
x

How might Koreans play war2?

Back on Kali, I remember players like INcin doing amazing things, and stealing strategies as I saw them being used. I remember being OT'd the first time or raxed, thinking that's such crazy/cool shit, thinking "outside the box."

Over time war2 matured and we figured everything out, which mostly meant ogres + lust.

But have we figured everything out? I thought for a moment if some serious money (like sc2 money) was on the line and Koreans played war2 on good latency, could we expect a whole new way to play? Archers + paladins? How do you think war2 could evolve?

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:22 am 
Shotgun_

No. It would stay the same

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 am 
Lightbringer-

As sg said. Maybe there can be more people at the top tier cause those guys are fucking robots..lol

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:47 am 
[RWTB]eeezle

How much money do you think it would take to draw interest from koreans for War2 Festival VI?

I'm thinking about doing $1,500 but would that be enough or would it need to be higher.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:23 pm 
terror-kahn

we need a 1,000,000 dollar tournament. that would draw attention

im talking to my people about it right now

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
RamJam

You won't bring any serious Korean players into war2 for a couple grand. They literally play for $100k+ in tournaments for other games.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:23 pm 
Fast Luck

Im sure they could figure out some new gameplay, bw kept evolving for decades even when it was already being played at a very high level by those guys. however, I think since War2 is such a simple game (The Simple Science, i call it) that there's probably nothing revolutionary left to be contributed.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:13 pm 
Sypher

If war2 had the support and infrastructure that BW had, they would do what we do only 1000% more efficiently.

Only different thing I could see is that their micro could allow humans to be more viable.

Post Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:09 pm 
terror-kahn

i still see changes in the way this game is being played from year to year. small things, but the game is still evolving in my opinion.

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:13 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Sentinel

Calob used to be really effective at giving unholy armor to hasted dks and d&ding big groups of ogres. i tried it but the uc is kinda difficult to do quickly, somehow he did it really well though. so i think thered be some smaller things like that which they might contribute.

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:38 am 
Shotgun_

quote:
Im sure they could figure out some new gameplay, bw kept evolving for decades even when it was already being played at a very high level by those guys. however, I think since War2 is such a simple game (The Simple Science, i call it) that there's probably nothing revolutionary left to be contributed.

The Architect has spoken on The Simple Science.

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:59 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel
Calob used to be really effective at giving unholy armor to hasted dks and d&ding big groups of ogres. i tried it but the uc is kinda difficult to do quickly, somehow he did it really well though. so i think thered be some smaller things like that which they might contribute.
in my experience that move comes down to the micro of your opponent
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:34 am 
Swift

Definitely lots of under utilized strategies, spells, tactics and more in this game. There is definitely a lot of room for growth in war2, and I think the Korean's could definitely do some good. But most importantly I think the Korean's would fill the empty space that is the huge skill gap between me and all you noobs, and I would finally have a few worthy competitors.

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:25 am 
Bobbo

Sappers are underused imho. Koreans would pwn everyone with them late game.

Come to think of it, they'd probably just play like me.

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
terror-kahn

sapps, runes, zepps, unholy armor.. even archers (which are starting to be used more now) are all things are underrated and underused.

Post Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:57 am 
NaLzyMan

War2 is extremely slow and newb compared to bw and even sc2.

The game was great for its time, but it has such a low skill cap that top korean rts players would be extremely limited by it.

Would they be better than anyone that played war2? Given enough time and practice they would easily be better, they couldn't push the game too much further because of the low skill cap, but they could definitely execute in a way that is much cleaner, more consistent, and their decision making would be much more intelligent.

War2 players simply don't play war2 very intelligently, some of the same people that have been playing for 10 or more years are still miserable at the game and that shows in how badly the skill level has decreased. Being rusty is one thing, but if someone truly understands the nuances of the game that isn't stuff that should really ever be forgotten, there is really no excuse for players to still be making such inefficient decisions to even some of the simplest scenarios.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sparkz102

found the Korean! its like playing spot the vegan

Last edited by Sparkz102 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
sapps, runes, zepps, unholy armor.. even archers (which are starting to be used more now) are all things are underrated and underused.

havent played war2 in years but lmfao @ this noob shit, jesus christ. yeah dude, zeps are mad underrated, no one thinks they're good for anything

quote:
Originally posted by NaLzyMan
Would they be better than anyone that played war2? Given enough time and practice they would easily be better, they couldn't push the game too much further because of the low skill cap, but they could definitely execute in a way that is much cleaner, more consistent, and their decision making would be much more intelligent.

i p much agree with most of your post but i think its weird here how you act like koreans have superhuman gaming abilities or something. lots of koreans are good at bw because there is a thriving pro scene in korea and it encourages lots of competition among koreans so a lot of koreans have played a lot of bw with other koreans who have played a lot of bw and thats really it, i suppose its possible a korean dude could get really good at war2 if he really dedicated himself to it but i don't see how thats specific to koreans. the only thing i can really think of is i guess bw vets might have better micro skills just from practice, though i'm sure they (and everyone else) would balk at the antiquated war2 interface
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
quote:

The Architect has spoken on The Simple Science.

rofl
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:22 pm 
foonat

Koreans are smarter and have faster fingers than Americans. It's Science.

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:23 pm 
NaLzyMan

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn

havent played war2 in years but lmfao @ this noob shit, jesus christ. yeah dude, zeps are mad underrated, no one thinks they're good for anything

quote:

i p much agree with most of your post but i think its weird here how you act like koreans have superhuman gaming abilities or something. lots of koreans are good at bw because there is a thriving pro scene in korea and it encourages lots of competition among koreans so a lot of koreans have played a lot of bw with other koreans who have played a lot of bw and thats really it, i suppose its possible a korean dude could get really good at war2 if he really dedicated himself to it but i don't see how thats specific to koreans

It could be argued that they have a thriving pro scene in the first place because they had a natural draw towards competitive gaming. It could be argued they have a natural draw to it because of how many asian cultures are, with a focus on discipline, computational skills, and a strong work ethic.

Hell, it's even possible there is a genetic component to it. If west africans can have better twitch muscle fibers for running, there is no reason a certain group of people might not have faster firing synapses or some other attribute that makes them much better at certain tasks. We often perceive thinking as a non-physical activity, but there are many physical components to how the mind computes things.

But more than anything it is probably environment and culture that gives them the situation they need to excel at things like competitive gaming.

Last edited by NaLzyMan on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

its cool to think about how war2 might have been different if blizzard had regularly patched it for balance like they did all their other games

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
It could be argued that they have a thriving pro scene in the first place because they had a naturally draw towards competitive gaming. It could be argued they have a natural draw to it because of how many asian cultures are, with a focus on discipline, computational skills, and a strong work ethic.

Hell, it's even possible there is a genetic component to it. If west africans can have better twitch muscle fibers for running, there is no reason a certain group of people might not have faster firing synapses or some other attribute that makes them much better at certain tasks.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:28 pm 
turtleman@can

I don't think Koreans are better at developing strategies - they just make a point to do it because at the top level they treat it like a job. North American and to a lesser extent Europeans 'pro' gamers treat the game as a game.

War2 definitely has a higher skill ceiling just based off of the control scheme. You require more actions to do the same basic tasks than you do in bw - and that is why bw is considered to have an unlimited skill ceiling. War2's max APM requirements are unattainable after a certain point in the game.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:20 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
War2 definitely has a higher skill ceiling just based off of the control scheme. You require more actions to do the same basic tasks than you do in bw - and that is why bw is considered to have an unlimited skill ceiling. War2's max APM requirements are unattainable after a certain point in the game.

rofl

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:47 pm 
BanMe

It would definitely evolve. You'd see more games making it to late game, with walling, sappers, potentially dragons, and more multitasking occuring. It would be pretty sick actually.

However, we'd need better maps. Garden of war is a piece of shit for 1v1, it is not even a bad competitive 1v1 map, it is simply not a competitive 1v1 map. The map mechanics of war2 are great, but the map design is god awful compared to BW.

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:46 pm 
Lightbringer-

quote:
War2's max APM requirements are unattainable after a certain point in the game.

What the hell does that mean?

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:11 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
quote:
War2's max APM requirements are unattainable after a certain point in the game.

What the hell does that mean?

It means to play at maximum efficiency is humanly impossible. If you've got a potential 200 unit supply, multiple bases and a strong economy there is no way to have peons running all over the map building towers/buildings while continuously making peons exactly as others finish while continously building ogres out of many raxes, death knights, using all spells and abilities at all times, etc

war2 is only skill capped in the early-mid game, once you reach a certain point in the game it's "okay now how much can you handle" - a large part of the late-game strategy is prioritizing your macro game.

and I'm talking about EF, fastest is a shit show

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:19 pm 
Shotgun_

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
It would definitely evolve. You'd see more games making it to late game, with walling, sappers, potentially dragons, and more multitasking occuring. It would be pretty sick actually.

However, we'd need better maps. Garden of war is a piece of shit for 1v1, it is not even a bad competitive 1v1 map, it is simply not a competitive 1v1 map. The map mechanics of war2 are great, but the map design is god awful compared to BW.

No. And you mean, SC maps are all basically just mirror maps like POS. There is nothing really wrong with maps on war2, especially GOW. If war2 had maps like BW no one would ever even make a fortress (Friends 1on1 etc).

Post Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:23 pm 
Lightbringer-

I was never into starcraft but I watched many reps in the days and Lost Temple is a nice map!

Post Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:41 am