FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> General Discussion

bologna!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Scrub

btw you visit soths grave lately, little bitch.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:44 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Scrub
quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:
Originally posted by Shotgun_
Man $10 an hour for adults? $12-$18 for tradesmen? Good tradies are on roughly 60-100 here.

americans are fucking retarded and their political beliefs are fueled by resentment and crab mentality, people like scrub spent most of their lives working shit jobs then one day they're making $12/hr instead of 8 and all of a sudden their working class comrades are lazy fucking bums who don't deserve shit
really? im glad im not who you describe, but jons point hit home. ok they cant afford to live on min wage, but who can? you go up the ladder n are replaced by newbs.. smh..

you have brain damage
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm 
Scrub

where is the money going to come from payin min wage workers 150 more a week.. n if they raise others wages..i just dont get it

Last edited by Scrub on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm 
Scrub

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Man $10 an hour for adults? $12-$18 for tradesmen? Good tradies are on roughly 60-100 here.

americans are fucking retarded and their political beliefs are fueled by resentment and crab mentality, people like scrub spent most of their lives working shit jobs then one day they're making $12/hr instead of 8 and all of a sudden their working class comrades are lazy fucking bums who don't deserve shit
really? im glad im not who you describe, but jons point hit home. ok they cant afford to live on min wage, but who can? you go up the ladder n are replaced by newbs.. smh..

you have brain damage

prolly do. want to pay for my ct scan?

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:01 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
where is the money going to come from payin min wage workers 150 more a week.. n if they raise others wages..i just dont get it

its not surprising you dont know that because you are not very intelligent and dont know many things at all
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 pm 
Scrub

good troll, outta thin air adding to our debt or idk woulda sufficed.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

what do you know about the debt smart guy

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:40 pm 
RamJam

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
I never really thought about actually working a minimum wage job after I finished school.

I think some of the problem is perhaps some people don't finish highschool or go to college, and yet expect to be making more than minimum wage ?
But also the wage structure in a lot of companies is really messed up.

I know an engineer fresh out of school who will be making $68,000/year, plus pension, bonus, and health care and that's the expectation for someone with those degrees. Education helps.
At the current minimum wage rate you'd be making roughly $15k a year working 40 hours a week. You shouldn't expect anyone to make that little regardless of their education. As it's been said there will always be a need for lower skilled jobs.

And for those that complain about the increased prices in goods, when you actually break down a major company's cost structure the percentage of total cost allocated to minimum wage earners isn't going to be that high. It's not like goods are going to increase on a 1:1 level with the percentage increase in minimum wage.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:55 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by Sentinel
quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
I never really thought about actually working a minimum wage job after I finished school.

I think some of the problem is perhaps some people don't finish highschool or go to college, and yet expect to be making more than minimum wage?
But also the wage structure in a lot of companies is really messed up.

I know an engineer fresh out of school who will be making $68,000/year, plus pension, bonus, and health care and that's the expectation for someone with those degrees. Education helps.

Not everyone can be an engineer. And I don't just mean that in terms of an individual's intellectual ability.

I mean our society wouldn't function if everyone decided to be an engineer. We need people to work at cash registers, to prepare food, to clean, to paint. A solution (like 'people should go to school!') isn't a solution if it's not something everyone/anyone can do. Everyone going to school and getting better jobs than manual labor or whatever isn't a solution because society would be fucked. The people that do these jobs must do them and they deserve to be able to make a wage on which they can live.

that's something people like kith don't think about whenever they make that argument. our society relies on an underclass and if it suddenly didn't exist society would either be very different or not function.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:01 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
fair wages would be a lot higher than what they are now but what does raising minimum wage do when businesses just increase their price to compensate for it

why do people have this idea that the only economic effect of raising the minimum wage is all the businesses in the country exactly calculating how much money it will cost them and then passing it on to consumers. like are you guys really so dense you can't understand how raising the minimum wage has other effects on the economy besides making your value meal cost 30 cents more maybe (emphasis on maybe, everyone just assumes this is how things work but there's not a great deal of evidence to support it)

remember when the minimum wage was introduced in the US and it only made the great depression worse because no one could buy the super expensive stuff in the stores now? me neither

I don't assume that. I just remember as a kid every place that employed minimum wage work increased their prices immediately after minimum wage went up. I don't know the exact affects it has on the economy, but it seems negligible if half the cost of living goes up with it.

A fair minimum wage would be much, much higher than what it is now, but do you think the largest minimum wage employers (mcdonalds, kohls, walmart) in the country will really allow it to cut into their profits. they'll just fire workers or increase prices. I support less income inequality and think people should partially be paid for their age, but I don't think slightly increasing minimum wage changes much.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:22 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:
quote:

Good post. This is pretty much true. However, Union tradesmen make significantly more than non-union. I'm assuming scrub is either an apprentice of some kind, or a scab. Regardless, $10 minimum wage is still poverty. $12-$18/hour is still pretty much poverty. If you're making less than 40k in the US you're not living well at all.

Post Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:37 pm 
RamJam

quote:
A fair minimum wage would be much, much higher than what it is now, but do you think the largest minimum wage employers (mcdonalds, kohls, walmart) in the country will really allow it to cut into their profits. they'll just fire workers or increase prices. I support less income inequality and think people should partially be paid for their age, but I don't think slightly increasing minimum wage changes much.
It's not as significant as you'd think. Wage expense is only 17% of mcdonald's revenue. Small price to pay for everyone to be making livable wages.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2013/07/price-of-big-mac-could-rise-by-68-cents-if-minimum-wage-doubles/

Also, it's a fact that poor people spend a greater percentage of their income than the rich. If the working class was earning more money they would be spending it and the increased revenue would help offset some of the costs associated with raising the minimum wage.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:04 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
I don't assume that. I just remember as a kid every place that employed minimum wage work increased their prices immediately after minimum wage went up. I don't know the exact affects it has on the economy, but it seems negligible if half the cost of living goes up with it.

i don't know any kids who actually pay attention to that shit, but assuming your anecdote here is true, the larger economic data does not substantiate it. economic data has consistently shown that the wage increase from a minimum wage hike tends to outweigh any increase in commodity prices. minimum wage workers don't make up the entirety of a company's costs, they don't know exactly how much to increase prices to offset that cost, and there are lots of other factors at play besides just employee wages that factor into cost. for some reason every time the minimum wage comes up people assume the only pressure on commodity costs are labor costs and absolutely nothing else, and also assume that a minimum wage increase takes place in this kind of weird economic vacuum where it has no effect on the economy EXCEPT making prices go up

quote:

mcdonalds and wal-mart couldn't just fire half their minimum wage workforce, they would collapse. they can easily afford a minimum wage increase, they make billions in profits. even if their prices do go up slightly, why are you so concerned? would it be such a bad thing if mcdonald's or wal-mart (both of whom are already not that cheap, actually) cost a little more? of course, this is probably where you would say raising the minimum wage would have a ripple effect, which is really funny because to you and most of the people presenting anti-raising the wage arguments here, minimum wage has no other ripple effects on the economy whatsoever except making our corporate gods angry so we have to keep sacrificing calves in the form of working class americans at their altar to keep them happy enough to keep giving us $1 mcdoubles

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:48 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Soilent Green
quote:
quote:

Good post. This is pretty much true. However, Union tradesmen make significantly more than non-union. I'm assuming scrub is either an apprentice of some kind, or a scab. Regardless, $10 minimum wage is still poverty. $12-$18/hour is still pretty much poverty. If you're making less than 40k in the US you're not living well at all.

judging by his posts in this thread he's probably also the type of american who would never join a union because that's just money out of his pocket and i don't need no union to make my decisions for me!!!! *works 50 hours a week for $12/hr with no overtime*

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 am 
GreenPlastic

I see proof daily that a lot of jobs that used to be minimum wage can afford to pay more and stay in business. In this area, there is a big oil boom going on. All fast food places are having trouble just getting people to apply because there are so many more lucrative jobs in the oil field. McDonalds for example advertises 14-16/hr. The prices have stayed relatively constant for the food. I'm not saying that this local area is proof that it can work everywhere but it is proof that it does work in at least this market.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 am 
Aerasal

quote:

i don't know any kids who actually pay attention to that shit, but assuming your anecdote here is true, the larger economic data does not substantiate it. economic data has consistently shown that the wage increase from a minimum wage hike tends to outweigh any increase in commodity prices. minimum wage workers don't make up the entirety of a company's costs, they don't know exactly how much to increase prices to offset that cost, and there are lots of other factors at play besides just employee wages that factor into cost. for some reason every time the minimum wage comes up people assume the only pressure on commodity costs are labor costs and absolutely nothing else, and also assume that a minimum wage increase takes place in this kind of weird economic vacuum where it has no effect on the economy EXCEPT making prices go up

well you may not know any, but that doesn't mean I didn't.

and since the cost of stuff goes up constantly anyway, I'm sure a lot of big business simply used it as an excuse to increase prices.

quote:

mcdonalds and wal-mart couldn't just fire half their minimum wage workforce, they would collapse. they can easily afford a minimum wage increase, they make billions in profits. even if their prices do go up slightly, why are you so concerned? would it be such a bad thing if mcdonald's or wal-mart (both of whom are already not that cheap, actually) cost a little more? of course, this is probably where you would say raising the minimum wage would have a ripple effect, which is really funny because to you and most of the people presenting anti-raising the wage arguments here, minimum wage has no other ripple effects on the economy whatsoever except making our corporate gods angry so we have to keep sacrificing calves in the form of working class americans at their altar to keep them happy enough to keep giving us $1 mcdoubles

they wouldn't fire half their workforce, they would just not hire as many people as they need and work the other people to death just like they've been doing for years to increase profit gains. of course they could afford a minimum wage increase, they could easily afford to pay their workers a lot more now as it is. I'm not against a minimum wage increase. I was just skeptical of what a small increase in minimum wage accomplishes.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:31 am 
Jon;

quote:

i was going to ask, i hadn't studied enough economics , that how could a big company just start firing employees in response to a wage increases without hurting themselves in the process? the workers are what make them function in the first place.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:07 am 
Fast Luck

in order to maximize profits big companies have already fired as many people as they want to. i guess higher minimum wage could lead them to let go some borderline profitable employees, but you have to think most people they can do without theyve already let go.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 am 
kublikhan

quote:
why do people have this idea that the only economic effect of raising the minimum wage is all the businesses in the country exactly calculating how much money it will cost them and then passing it on to consumers. like are you guys really so dense you can't understand how raising the minimum wage has other effects on the economy besides making your value meal cost 30 cents more maybe (emphasis on maybe, everyone just assumes this is how things work but there's not a great deal of evidence to support it)

remember when the minimum wage was introduced in the US and it only made the great depression worse because no one could buy the super expensive stuff in the stores now? me neither
+1
Corporate profits are at an all time high while wages are at an all time low(as a share of the economy). Most corporations can easily afford to pay higher wages without raising prices.

quote:
Originally posted by article
U.S. businesses have never had it so good. Corporate cash piles have never been bigger, either in dollar terms or as a share of the economy.

The strength (in profits) is directly related to the weakness in hourly wages, which are still growing at just a 2% nominal pace. The weakness of wages and the resulting strength of profits are telling signs that the US labor market is still far from full employment. Companies have managed to boost profits beyond anything ever seen before because they've got away with employing as few workers as possible at as low a rate as possible.

So, corporate profits are their highest ever and wage growth is near its lowest in half a century. But don't expect the transfer of that cash from businesses to workers to start any time soon, says Hatzius:

"The bottom line is that the favorable environment for corporate profits should persist for some time yet, and the case for an acceleration in the near term is strong. Hourly labor costs would need to grow more than 4% to eat into margins on a systematic basis. Such a strong acceleration still seems to be at least a couple of years off."
Why are US corporate profits so high? Because wages are so low

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm 
RamJam

The U.S. is fucked. I cant see how a moral person can be so against the government trying to protect workers when they are clearly being exploited.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:44 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:
Originally posted by RamJam
The U.S. is fucked. I cant see how a moral person can be so against the government trying to protect workers when they are clearly being exploited.

I'd never thought of it like this before, but GN nailed it when he said it's crab mentality. I know plenty of people that think minimum wage workers deserve to live like scum because they didn't get a degree. Meanwhile, these same people are barely above the poverty line themselves. It's pretty sad, but the second a person makes more than minimum wage, they look at those who make less, even if it's only $1-2 less, like they're somehow above them, and shit on them any chance they get.

I can imagine scrub treating his local burger flippers like dogshit because he's a scab tradesman making a few dollars more per hour. How dare these people wish for a better life for themselves and their families?!

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:37 pm 
RamJam

Yeah I know people who don't think minimum wage should be $12-15 an hour because that's what they make and they either are a skilled tradesmen or have a college degree. It's such a shit mentality. Just because they are only making $25-30k a year doesn't mean it should be that way for them and everyone under them should be living below the poverty line.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:50 pm 
Scrub

wtf do you mean by scab? n corporations always could afford to pay employees more, goods will still go up and the min wage going up will be placebo.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:26 pm 
RamJam

You're fucking stupid if you think that.

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:39 pm 
Shotgun_

lol@where will the money come from

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:26 am 
RamJam

It can easily be absorbed by the company. Minimum wage employees only make up a small percentage of total cost of running any major company. Prices would increase but not at a 1:1 ratio as the percentage increase in wages. I feel like some people here haven't taken an accounting course in their life.

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:06 am 
terror-kahn

http://www.youtube.com/ClanAbsoluteSynergy

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
RamJam

Yes because if you raise the price of an input then every company would simply go out of business instead of adjusting its cost/price structure.

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 am 
TheDRAX

That is one old ass walmart picture

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:22 am 
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by terror-kahn
ANY QUESTIONS?
Your numbers seem off. First off, Wallmart doesn't have 2 million employees. It only has 1.3 million employees. Of those, only about 1 million employees are store associates. Of those 1 million, about half earn over 25,000 a year. That leaves about half a million employees who earn less than that.

quote:
Originally posted by article
the workforce of 1.3 million includes Walmart employees of all stripes, including truck drivers throughout the country and executives at corporate headquarters in Bentonville, Ark. The more relevant number would be Walmart's roughly one million store workers. more than 475,000 Walmart associates earned a salary over $25,000 last year.
Most Walmart Store Workers Didn't Earn $25,000 Last Year

Secondly, the new proposed minimum wage was $10.10, not $15. That would be a raise of $1.29 if we use your $8.81 figure. Which would amount to $677,250 an hour for all half a million employees. An additional 1.3 billion per year. Which could easily be absorbed by Walmart. Even if we used your higher $15 figure it would still fall under Walmart's profits.

Third, as others have pointed out, the entire raise would not simply be absorbed by Walmart. Some of the cost would be passed along to customers in the form of higher prices.

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:09 am