16%
 16%  [ 5 ]
alot of poll options here
20%
 20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

LoL cut the fat so you're spending all of your time doing what's fun about the genre - team fights, strong mechanics, strategic play with a very clear, discernible and bright visuals. Now they've got free wards for all players and a limit of how many each player can place so instead of one guy being the bitch - map awareness becomes a team concept where everybody contributes

Most heroes in LoL are pretty much the same as DOTA 2s from what I've seen and read although there's more similarities between heroes in LoL - like there's 100 heroes but most of them share mechanics with other heroes so if you play enough you can pick up any hero and have a decent idea of what you're doing.

I don't think there's any heroes like the invoker that i've seen - the closest one is a mage that turns into a spider and has 6 abilities but at the same time there's a lot of heroes that require a lot of skill.

I can see why you wouldn't switch games though , I just started playing MOBAs so i've been trying to figure out the best one to play and LoL is hands-down a better game. But I can say that with no experience playing MOBAs, I played the shit out of LoL for about 2 weeks and feel pretty comfortable with it now although I've still got a lot to learn.

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:08 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
Now they've got free wards for all players and a limit of how many each player can place so instead of one guy being the bitch

free wards might not be bad if the game is balanced around it but the way you wrote this sounds like you both have a fundamental lack of understanding of what a support does in dota (if you think support is "bitch" you are a bad player, and i don't just mean bad in terms of skill) and also just don't like having to spend money on wards, which is the sort of attitude a game like lol caters to (flattening and "streamlining" the experience at the cost of much of the game's variety and dynamism)

quote:
so instead of one guy being the bitch - map awareness becomes a team concept where everybody contributes

its no wonder you don't like dota if you think map awareness is something only the support is responsible for

quote:
Most heroes in LoL are pretty much the same as DOTA 2s from what I've seen and read although there's more similarities between heroes in LoL - like there's 100 heroes but most of them share mechanics with other heroes so if you play enough you can pick up any hero and have a decent idea of what you're doing.

its interesting that you think lol heroes being more similar and interchangeable with each other is a good thing rather than a bad one, but ok, no accounting for taste i suppose. personally i think having a variety of heroes that are more distinct from each other and have more unique abilities and play styles makes for a much more interesting game than every match being ryu and guile vs. ken and chun-li
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:29 am 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah

free wards might not be bad if the game is balanced around it but the way you wrote this sounds like you both have a fundamental lack of understanding of what a support does in dota (if you think support is "bitch" you are a bad player, and i don't just mean bad in terms of skill) and also just don't like having to spend money on wards, which is the sort of attitude a game like lol caters to (flattening and "streamlining" the experience at the cost of much of the game's variety and dynamism)

its no wonder you don't like dota if you think map awareness is something only the support is responsible for

its interesting that you think lol heroes being more similar and interchangeable with each other is a good thing rather than a bad one, but ok, no accounting for taste i suppose. personally i think having a variety of heroes that are more distinct from each other and have more unique abilities and play styles makes for a much more interesting game than every match being ryu and guile vs. ken and chun-li

support is a bitch role by definition. and making ward placement a team concept is MUCH better than just having one person mainly responsible for it. Explain how variety and dynamism is impacted by having better game design.

i haven't played all of the heroes in lol or dota 2, that's just what i read but really this argument of which has better heroes to me is pointless as i doubt you'd ever get bored of the variety of play in either game. It's like asking how many hot blonde chics does sweden have vs norway.. who cares you're never going to bang them all and be like 'I wish i decided to live in the other country. i'm out of hot blonde chics to bang' I don't think 'i've run out of interesting heroes to play' has ever been an argument made by a player in either game.

IMO the real problems with DOTA 2 are:
Map too big and dark, which makes the game shittier on many levels that i won't bother going into.
horrible inventory system - donkeys and having a 2nd store across the map are archaic stupid decisions that add nothing but grief to the experience.
the game feels clunky and unresponsive compared to LoL
the ui is bloated and poorly designed - as are the default hotkeys layed out in a stupid fashion - I am guessing u can change it but why wouldn't they just make them right to begin with
no intuitive communication system. LoL incorporates pings in a way that's perfect - you can communicate anything without typing and it becomes another game mechanic.
no recall - keeps players out of the action too long.
listening to the announcers in dota 2 makes me feel like i'm playing a game mod that a 15 year old made.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:28 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
support is a bitch role by definition.

well like i said if you think this you are probably a bad player, and you yourself admit you don't really know much about dota or have not played it much, so...i mean this is just wrong, its like saying some random position in basketball is a "bitch" position, its just idiotic, they're team games, every position is important. why do you think certain heroes are often expected to play support and spend more money on support items? do you think its because the heroes are weak or something?

quote:
s Explain how variety and dynamism is impacted by having better game design.

i didn't say it was, i said it was negatively impacted by having heroes that are more similar to each other than different, something you pointed out about lol and praised as a strength

quote:
si haven't played all of the heroes in lol or dota 2, that's just what i read but really this argument of which has better heroes to me is pointless as i doubt you'd ever get bored of the variety of play in either game. It's like asking how many hot blonde chics does sweden have vs norway.. who cares you're never going to bang them all and be like 'I wish i decided to live in the other country. i'm out of hot blonde chics to bang' I don't think 'i've run out of interesting heroes to play' has ever been an argument made by a player in either game.

"there's a lot of heroes so who cares if a lot are copies of each other?" is a pretty poor defense

quote:
sIMO the real problems with DOTA 2 are:
Map too big and dark, which makes the game shittier on many levels that i won't bother going into.

fix your gamma/get a better monitor? its not "dark". if you think a smaller, simpler map is better than a larger, more complex map, then again that's just something i disagree on, no accounting for taste. i do also think its kind of a stupid criticism though, like if someone said football isn't that good because the field is too big. its kind of the nature of the game

quote:
horrible inventory system - donkeys and having a 2nd store across the map are archaic stupid decisions that add nothing but grief to the experience.

this just sounds like you're a noob tbh. its fine if you prefer how lol handles it but saying it "adds nothing but grief to the experience" just shows you don't really "get" a lot of things about the game

quote:
the game feels clunky and unresponsive compared to LoL

can't argue with that, just personal preference really, i prefer how dota controls (probably at least partially because i'm used to it), but if you prefer lol whatever

quote:
the ui is bloated and poorly designed - as are the default hotkeys layed out in a stupid fashion - I am guessing u can change it but why wouldn't they just make them right to begin with

i actually agree with this (except the whining about hotkeys which you can easily customize), the hud is dated and i think it could be improved by being smaller/taking up less of the screen. i'm not sure how practical changing it would be though considering dota is a 10+ year game and lots of people are pretty set in their ways, but i think this could be improved without impacting the game too much

quote:
no intuitive communication system. LoL incorporates pings in a way that's perfect - you can communicate anything without typing and it becomes another game mechanic.

this makes me wonder if you've ever even actually played dota. you can ping all kinds of things in dota, map locations, enemy heroes, you can call your allies when you're about to cast a heal or buff (though hardly anyone uses it), there's a customizable quick chat wheel

quote:
no recall - keeps players out of the action too long.

why dont you have a tp noob?
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:51 pm 
-667-

This shit is apparently bigger than I thought. Not that I've been an avid gamer for ages, but there's actually a big betting market for this stuff. People are strange.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:51 pm 
turtleman@can

lol has recall u can use with no cooldown - and a teleport ability u can choose to equip as a summoner skill, combined with the map being smaller/easier to navigate and only one store location - it makes a needlessly complex system of inventory very simple and straightforward.

Key thing is that dicking around at different stores/having to keep an inventory slot open for a teleport scroll/buying and sharing couriers are mechanisms that make the game 'dynamic' but they're all tedious and cumbersome mechanics that simply make the game less fun. There's no real strategy involved with this that gives players any satisfaction. It's just 'oh i gotta go to the secret store, maybe i can help top lane out a bit since i'm there and do some jungling' - it creates consequential actions and maybe gives players more reason to navigate the map but if you break down the actual concepts of what players enjoy doing in these games, these mechanisms add nothing and detract from the enjoyment.

I actually like DOTA 2 but compared to LoL it's a lesser experience. I'm sure eventually if they keep patching it and making meaningful changes it could surpass it but right now they just seem like they're hung up on some bad design decisions.

As far as the map I think the best analogy I can use would be LoL is like war2 and DOTA2 is like BW - structurally LoL map is confined with a manageable amount of pre-determined paths that allow control of mechanics. For example, on bot/top lanes there's a jungle creep along the side of the treeline, with certain heroes u can gain sight of this, kill it while staying in your lane and maximize efficiency. The whole map is designed to allow for fluid gameplay decisions by the player that keep them using mechanics and snowballing their enjoyment of the gameplay. DOTA 2 doesn't really have this to near the same degree. The people developing LoL are better game designers, simply put.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:06 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
lol has recall u can use with no cooldown - and a teleport ability u can choose to equip as a summoner skill, combined with the map being smaller/easier to navigate and only one store location - it makes a needlessly complex system of inventory very simple and straightforward.

at the cost of losing the risk/reward mechanic of having to buy tp scrolls, reducing hero variety, and, imo, making for a less interesting game

its funny you say "needlessly complex" system but at the same time bitch about the courier. the courier is retarded and too complex, and also the side shops that are there so you can buy common lane items without having to use the courier or go back to base are also retarded and too complex. this is what i mean when i say you just don't seem to understand the game, these things are not "needlessly complex," they exist for a reason

quote:
Key thing is that dicking around at different stores/having to keep an inventory slot open for a teleport scroll/buying and sharing couriers are mechanisms that make the game 'dynamic' but they're all tedious and cumbersome mechanics that simply make the game less fun. There's no real strategy involved with this that gives players any satisfaction.

this is all your opinion, many people enjoy these mechanics as shown by how many people like playing dota 2. saying "there's no real strategy" is not an opinion though, that's just false, because the decision of whether or not to buy a tp scroll or spend the gold on other items is a clearly strategic decision. you may not like it and you may prefer that decision not be there, but that doesn't mean there's no strategy

quote:
It's just 'oh i gotta go to the secret store, maybe i can help top lane out a bit since i'm there and do some jungling' - it creates consequential actions and maybe gives players more reason to navigate the map but if you break down the actual concepts of what players enjoy doing in these games, these mechanisms add nothing and detract from the enjoyment.

yeah again that's just your opinion, you're projecting your inability to enjoy these mechanics (to be honest, probably because you found them too difficult to learn and gave up) on everyone who plays the game

quote:
As far as the map I think the best analogy I can use would be LoL is like war2 and DOTA2 is like BW...The people developing LoL are better game designers, simply put.

the latter doesn't follow from the former at all. most people on this forum might like war2 but brood war was clearly deeper from a strategic and tactical perspective than war2 ever was. comparing dota 2 to bw compared to war2 is a compliment, brood war is a better designed game than war2 in almost every conceivable way

its also funny how in general a lot of the things you say are good about lol like smaller map size with less paths, free tp's, similar heroes, etc. boil down to "its better because its less complicated and there's less to do and the players and teams have less choices and flexibility"

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:11 pm 
turtleman@can

I meant strictly in terms of maps - People who prefer war2 to bw because of the map structure and mechanics of how you can lay out buildings and impact the environment.

the side shops are wasted space, as is the secret shop, as well as having these huge areas in the forest to hide. the courier sounds like a fun idea in principle but in reality it's stupid. Most people need it at the same time because of how the mechanics of the game work (everyone hits 1000 gold at roughly the same time for example) which means you've got to jockey for position to even use it.

i'm not projecting anything, just sharing my thoughts on the design differences that I see. I don't have much experience in DOTA 2 but i've got enough in LoL that I can play DOTA2 now and see what it offers from a broad perspective. they're both really good games but there's a reason LoL has like 10x the playerbase. before playing either of them I was given the impression from a lot of people that DOTA 2 was the more advanced version but I just don't see it.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:02 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
the side shops are wasted space, as is the secret shop, as well as having these huge areas in the forest to hide.

they're not wasted space if they serve a purpose, and they do. just because you don't understand that purpose (despite me explaining it to you in plain english in the previous post) doesn't mean it doesn't exist

quote:
the courier sounds like a fun idea in principle but in reality it's stupid. Most people need it at the same time because of how the mechanics of the game work (everyone hits 1000 gold at roughly the same time for example) which means you've got to jockey for position to even use it.

uh, no. you dont know how to play the game...players aren't going to have the same farm at roughly the same time, why would a roaming support have as much farm as a farming carry or a jungler for example? and players in the side lanes can get a lot of the early items from the side shops, freeing up the courier. a lot of early and mid game items can be assembled just from stuff in the side and secret shops. why are you talking about these things when you have no clue how to play

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:41 pm 
turtleman@can

anyway my point is LoL is better , if you play it for 30 games or so you'll see what im saying about the mechanics

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

well yeah, you don't even understand how to play dota so i'm not surprised you don't like it that much. "i don't know how to play this game and don't want to take the time to learn" isn't really the most damning criticism though

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:29 pm 
turtleman@can

i don't understand how to play dota at a high level but i understand all of the basic shit you keep trying to tell me i don't understand

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:23 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
i don't understand how to play dota at a high level but i understand all of the basic shit you keep trying to tell me i don't understand

you said "all players get 1000 gold at roughly the same time" and you said the side shops were wasted space and a lot of other stuff that no one who understands the basics of the game would say...

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:44 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

the deciding PLAY of the deciding game 5 in this years International (winners get 1.4m, 2nd place got like 800k) was one of the players from Alliance (the winners) cancelling 2 crucial teleports so that his teammates could wreck havoc on the other teams base.

its called "Million Dollar Dream Coil" look it up

the fact that the map is big and you must have a TP scroll (or boots of teleport) to quickly defend or quickly attack adds a serious, serious serious depth to the gameplay. Mobility is as important to a heroes repertoire as damage or HP .

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zE8DcxpT4
the player s4 actually uses his "Dream Coil" abilitiy to cancel TPs twice in this video...both times were crucial as fuuuh

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:49 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah and that plays into the hero variety shit too. mobility skills aren't at as high a premium if every character can blink and tp

quote:

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:59 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
quote:

you said "all players get 1000 gold at roughly the same time" and you said the side shops were wasted space and a lot of other stuff that no one who understands the basics of the game would say...

yeah you're right i don't understand the basics thanks for clearing that up Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:04 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
the deciding PLAY of the deciding game 5 in this years International (winners get 1.4m, 2nd place got like 800k) was one of the players from Alliance (the winners) cancelling 2 crucial teleports so that his teammates could wreck havoc on the other teams base.

its called "Million Dollar Dream Coil" look it up

the fact that the map is big and you must have a TP scroll (or boots of teleport) to quickly defend or quickly attack adds a serious, serious serious depth to the gameplay. Mobility is as important to a heroes repertoire as damage or HP .

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zE8DcxpT4
the player s4 actually uses his "Dream Coil" abilitiy to cancel TPs twice in this video...both times were crucial as fuuuh

yeah this is the same thing in LoL - u can cancel a TP by hitting them while they're casting it. it was a cool play tho

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
quote:
quote:

yeah you're right i don't understand the basics thanks for clearing that up Rolling Eyes

you're literally making statements about the game that are 100% wrong on a basic fundamental level. so you either don't understand or you've been intentionally posting like the biggest clueless noob ever for some reason

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:09 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

"its impossible to earn 3 points in a single shot in a game of basketball"

"actually its not, any shots made from beyond the three point line are worth three points. i think maybe you don't know what you're talking about"

"oh yeah, right, i don't know what i'm talking about, thanks for clearing that up smart guy Rolling Eyes"

quote:

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:11 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

you're literally making statements about the game that are 100% wrong on a basic fundamental level. so you either don't understand or you've been intentionally posting like the biggest clueless noob ever for some reason

explain to me how players in a dota2 game don't accumulate gold at roughly the same pace and give me times on when it happens and how that blows the concept of a courier log-jam of requests out the window. there's never courier log jams right? okay fine you win?

stores are required in the current game - oh really? haven't i been shitting on the inventory system as a whole ? do you think there's some context to consider in what i've said? no? guess not then.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:14 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
explain to me how players in a dota2 game don't accumulate gold at roughly the same pace

different players will farm and accumulate gold at different rates. this is often done intentionally, i.e. a support in a lane with a carry is going to let the carry take most of the farm. its also often simply a natural result of lane setups and hero roles--a mid nightstalker that aggressively ganks at first night or a jungle furion is going to accumulate gold much faster than a roaming support vengeful spirit

you're welcome for me explaining this very basic game concept to you, noob

quote:
how that blows the concept of a courier log-jam of requests out the window. there's never courier log jams right?

no not really with a well coordinated team because, as i explained earlier, many of the early and even mid game items can be purchased at the side shops, which is an intentional design feature. i guess it can happen every now and then but it rarely happens to me in hundreds of games, and when it does i'm playing with pubbie idiots. never had the problem on a team that can communicate

quote:
stores are required in the current game - oh really? haven't i been shitting on the inventory system as a whole ? do you think there's some context to consider in what i've said? no? guess not then.

you called the stores wasted space and pointless. they're not in the actual game they're in. they might be wasted space and pointless in the turtleman fantasy moba where you can buy items without going to the store, and also buy level ups, and also they're all free and all heroes can get the same ones, but they're not in dota 2

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:25 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

in dota, generally teams will have 1 player "farming" each lane. this is usually the player whose hero scales better into the late game--the late game heroes are allotted as much farm as they can manage to earn whilst still attempting to help the team in other areas.

there are only 3 lanes though, so in most games both teams will have 2 supporting heroes who ARE NOT FARMING LANES FOR INCOME AT ALL. These supporting heroes do earn income from kill/assist bounty as well as the passive gold tick that happens every .6 seconds--but that income is only a fraction of what the farming heroes will earn.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:26 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah it's the same concept as lol
u got top, mid, adc and support on bot and a jungler and sometimes u end up with another construct of a team - im just saying that between the gold ticker u have 4 players earning gold at roughly the same pace and usually the first thing people go for are survivability items, and rely on the courier for teleports after their inventory space is reduced and they need to go back as they're down and out of potions. overall there's a pretty consistent gold flow coming in from various players where lets say between the 8 and 13 minute mark all 5 players will want a courier and the potential for a jam is high.

the whole point isn't that it happens all at once every game but that it happens which isn't a big deal but would u rather that happen or not happen?

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:48 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
im just saying that between the gold ticker u have 4 players earning gold at roughly the same pace

lol...no you really don't. this is just flat out false and anyone who has played dota for any length of time will tell you this. why are you trying to tell people who play this game a lot how it works when you admit you've barely played it?

quote:
rely on the courier for teleports

oh my god you are such a noob i cant even believe it

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:52 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
quote:
im just saying that between the gold ticker u have 4 players earning gold at roughly the same pace

lol...no you really don't. this is just flat out false and anyone who has played dota for any length of time will tell you this. why are you trying to tell people who play this game a lot how it works when you admit you've barely played it?

quote:
rely on the courier for teleports

oh my god you are such a noob i cant even believe it

it's basic math, you've got 3 lanes and apparently you play the game like a bitch if you don't play aggressively enough to need teleports.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:02 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i wonder how long it will take him to figure out why hes such a noob about the courier/tp thing specifically

quote:

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

turtleman you should try dota for an extended period of time man, its really the greatest video game ever made. I am not exaggerating or being hyperbolic in anyway--I love this game more than I loved war2, brood war, pokemon, baldurs gate, ff7, halo 2..anything, anything I have ever played I've never loved as much as dota.

you should give it a chance and give yourself a chance to get over the daunting learning curve, its similar enough to LoL that you'll be fine.

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:08 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

like fuck dude you never need a courier for tp's because you can get tp's at the side shop. i dont even care if you like lol better, i was able to have a discussion with ash despite disagreeing, you just keep claiming you know all this shit when you know absolutely nothing about the game

quote:

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:12 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i felt like ash's arguments for lol were some of the most misguided i'd ever seen. like riot's greed was an applaudable nurturing of newer players or something

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:16 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

well yeah i agree but that's an opinion at the end of the day, if one i think is pretty stupid (or maybe just really cynical i'm not sure). its different than being like "dota sucks because [thing about the game that's not true]" and then arguing with people who actually play the game and telling them they're wrong when they point out that the game doesnt actually work that way

quote:

Post Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 pm