20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
aesop rocks

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
http://dotabuff.com/matches/240743564

I can post brag games too.

Bragging doesn't work when your most played hero (by far I might add) is Drow Ranger

http://dotabuff.com/players/5845849

Post Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by aesop rocks
quote:
http://dotabuff.com/matches/240743564

I can post brag games too.

Bragging doesn't work when your most played hero (by far I might add) is Drow Ranger

http://dotabuff.com/players/5845849

I solo queue tons, which means I pick agi carrys since they snowball a lot better even if you have shit teammates. Also Drow sucks as of like 4 months ago.

If drow is raping you on 7/29/13, you're playing the game wrong.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

how can your carry snowball if your teammates are shit though

i guess if the other team is even shittier and doesnt stop you from farming, but if thats the case you could probably pick anyone and win

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:30 am 
Andrzej

There are some heroes which might give you a chance to win if you are defenitely the best in game and your team is way worse. Furion, Sven, Destroyer, Magnus can carry the game even if you got complete tards in team. In pub game of course. When I see at the beginning that i got some suspicious team, I automatically pick furion to carry the game just in case.

quote:
Originally posted by Swift
blid wasn't caught using hacks, he admitted that he was testing hacks to learn about them for administrative purposes

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:07 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

if the other team isnt incompetent though they shouldnt have a problem shutting down a carry who doesnt have good support, including any of those guys. if you get the right carry farmed up enough then yeah you can maybe take their whole team, but if your team sucks the reason you win is because the other team was too stupid to do anything about your unsupported carry, not because you're pro or you made the proest hero pick

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:09 am 
Andrzej

I agree but I'm talkign abotu the situation when enemy team isn't pro but just better than yours and when you obviously dominate the game. You cant dominate the game in such situation with chen or rhasta for example, even if you got 20-0 stats. Late game is late game.

quote:
blid wasn't caught using hacks, he admitted that he was testing hacks to learn about them for administrative purposes

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Andrzej
I agree but I'm talkign abotu the situation when enemy team isn't pro but just better than yours and when you obviously dominate the game. You cant dominate the game in such situation with chen or rhasta example, even if you got 20-0 stats. Late game is late game.

if the other team is better than yours then they should probably be able to stop you from farming though is my point

yeah carries are better late game, everyone knows that. my point is if you're picking carries because you think your team sucks and you're counting on snowballing then what you're really counting on is the other team not being good enough to shut down an unsupported carry, i.e. you're counting on the other team being totally incompetent and not knowing how to play dota. which to be fair is a pretty good bet at a certain level of play heh

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am 
BanMe

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah

if the other team is better than yours then they should probably be able to stop you from farming though is my point

my point is if you're picking carries because you think your team sucks and you're counting on snowballing then what you're really counting on is the other team not being good enough to shut down an unsupported carry, i.e. you're counting on the other team being totally incompetent and not knowing how to play dota. which to be fair is a pretty good bet at a certain level of play heh

Nah that's just an extreme. There are games where your team gets owned, games where you lose by 1 or 2 plays, games that could go either way, and again to the other end of the spectrum where you own. When you're at a certain place on that spectrum, you can dominate early game with an intel but you're team sucks too much to close the deal until the enemy carries catch up and surpass you. But if you're team is just losing, while you continuously farm up / snipe kills, you can get to a position to dominate late game. Doesn't work every time but the concept is pretty common sense. I.e. you can be an amazing support but that doesn't stop noob carries from doing dumb shit. Vice versa isn't ideal but not as bad.

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i dont disagree that carries are going to be in the long run if you can stay alive/not get owned and that they're the best type of hero to pick if the rest of your team sucks. i guess my main problem is going into games with the assumption that you're the only good player on the team so you HAVE to pick a carry in order to win. its an attitude that encourages bad habits and chances are theres at least 1-2 other people on your team with the same attitude and then you get 4 carries and people fighting over mid and shit

obviously if you know someone on your team isnt that good or you have a really good feeling (not because "omg br noobs") then it can make sense to pick your hero around that but we're talking about the average pub game

quote:

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:33 pm 
Sypher

quote:
how can your carry snowball if your teammates are shit though

i guess if the other team is even shittier and doesnt stop you from farming, but if thats the case you could probably pick anyone and win

Luna in particular is extremely powerful in pubs, imo. I can confidently mid with her vs most heros. Once I am lvl 7, I get pretty easy ganks and start to be able to solo farm jungle/ancients/lanes with constant tping only taking team fights which are beneficial to me. It sounds selfish, but im in a bad bracket where both teams make terrible decisions.

I have had games where I am lvl 25 and the next highest lvl on my team is 18. Luna is just such a good mid-late game farmer.

Whenever I play support in solo queue, i just constantly see my lane partner miss lhs and not taking advantage of my harassment of enemy heros.. or watch them dive tier 2 at lvl 4

Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:00 pm 
BanMe

quote:
i dont disagree that carries are going to be in the long run if you can stay alive/not get owned and that they're the best type of hero to pick if the rest of your team sucks. i guess my main problem is going into games with the assumption that you're the only good player on the team so you HAVE to pick a carry in order to win. its an attitude that encourages bad habits and chances are theres at least 1-2 other people on your team with the same attitude and then you get 4 carries and people fighting over mid and shit

obviously if you know someone on your team isnt that good or you have a really good feeling (not because "omg br noobs") then it can make sense to pick your hero around that but we're talking about the average pub game

I actually think it's one of the flaws in the game's design. Ideally you shouldn't have to play a role or hero that you don't think is fun or don't want to play. Insisting on carry is only a bad habit if it doesn't work - in the games it does work, it's a good habit. But because of the way the game is designed and how matchmaking is freeform, you don't have a really good feedback mechanism or expectation on what you should pick. You might say "oh well if all my team does their job I can just pick X", but that's never a safe assumption to make if you are solo queuing. And because of the high investment of time for 1 game, it is really frustrating when you lose because of your team. It's much easier to forget when you lose because of you.

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Luna in particular is extremely powerful in pubs, imo.

well i was talking more about drow type heroes since that was the first example used. luna is different from an agi carry like drow or anti-mage or something where they're total dead weight until they get their farm up, shes a lot more versatile

quote:
Originally posted by BanMe
But because of the way the game is designed and how matchmaking is freeform, you don't have a really good feedback mechanism or expectation on what you should pick. You might say "oh well if all my team does their job I can just pick X", but that's never a safe assumption to make if you are solo queuing

i agree that's never a safe assumption but at the same time, if your assumption that everyone on the team doesnt know how to play their hero/role is right, you're probably screwed anyway heh. in terms of feedback/expectation in pub games i will usually wait to see who the insta-locker types pick and who gets picked on the other team and shape my pick around that, though that's far from foolproof

quote:
And because of the high investment of time for 1 game, it is really frustrating when you lose because of your team. It's much easier to forget when you lose because of you.

i think i was coming more from the psychological angle you're touching on here, it seems like that sort of attitude encourages you to blame your team more and hold yourself accountable less. i just kinda bristle any time i read dota talk where it sounds like its being assumed the person talking is the only good player on their team so i probably overreacted/read stuff into the post that wasnt there. i almost always queue with at least one other person so maybe i don't have the best vantage point here

i agree with you about the whole thing being a fundamental design issue, though i think its more a fundamental issue with solo queueing than the game itself, since the problem stops being a problem if you know your teammates and can communicate with them. of course you can't really get rid of solo queue without completely crippling most people's ability to play the game in the first place

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
BanMe

quote:
quote:
Luna in particular is extremely powerful in pubs, imo.

well i was talking more about drow type heroes since that was the first example used. luna is different from an agi carry like drow or anti-mage or something where they're total dead weight until they get their farm up, shes a lot more versatile

quote:
But because of the way the game is designed and how matchmaking is freeform, you don't have a really good feedback mechanism or expectation on what you should pick. You might say "oh well if all my team does their job I can just pick X", but that's never a safe assumption to make if you are solo queuing

i agree that's never a safe assumption but at the same time, if your assumption that everyone on the team doesnt know how to play their hero/role is right, you're probably screwed anyway heh. in terms of feedback/expectation in pub games i will usually wait to see who the insta-locker types pick and who gets picked on the other team and shape my pick around that, though that's far from foolproof

quote:
And because of the high investment of time for 1 game, it is really frustrating when you lose because of your team. It's much easier to forget when you lose because of you.

i think i was coming more from the psychological angle you're touching on here, it seems like that sort of attitude encourages you to blame your team more and hold yourself accountable less. i just kinda bristle any time i read dota talk where it sounds like its being assumed the person talking is the only good player on their team so i probably overreacted/read stuff into the post that wasnt there. i almost always queue with at least one other person so maybe i don't have the best vantage point here

i agree with you about the whole thing being a fundamental design issue, though i think its more a fundamental issue with solo queueing than the game itself, since the problem stops being a problem if you know your teammates and can communicate with them. of course you can't really get rid of solo queue without completely crippling most people's ability to play the game in the first place

I just wonder if this really has evolved into a class based game where you need certain comps to win, why allow people to fuck that up by spamming carries. Might as well just force the meta if it's necessary anyway.

I.e. you all roll for what meta spot you want, if you dont get it you get relegated to support. Whatever you roll / get, you have a select group of champions to choose from. I think the freedom of choice isn't helping when it mostly only screws your team over when you don't pick a certain way.

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

well thats why people dont play solo queue or all pick competitively, heh. its definitely not a mode conductive to great game balance, i agree

quote:

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:52 pm 
aesop rocks

joining solo is almost asking to rage.

Post Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Andrzej

BTW: Did anyone watch Internationals? Thought someone will mention it. Alliance beat Navi 3-2.

quote:

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:57 pm 
GaNzTheLegend

is dota2 gonna surpass lol?

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 pm 
Andrzej

It never was behind LoL as I remember. At least in amount of players. I heard the last tournament had the biggest amount of viewers on twitch ever.

quote:

Post Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 am 
SoCxEcLiPzE

Im Eclipze01 on dota2. Trying to switch over from HoN. My play is decent but i'm having to remember heroes and items and i'm slow... if anyone feels like bearing with me while I try to stop sucking add me lol

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:45 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

gj quitting heroes of failerth

id play with you but i havent felt like playing in months ~_~

quote:

Post Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:48 pm 
aesop rocks

sypher i sent you an add on steam

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 am 
TYRYTY

didn't see this thread before
i will go pro soon in this!!

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:56 pm 
turtleman@can

what do you guys enjoy about Dota 2 over LoL

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:54 pm 
aesop rocks

never played LoL but im sure its just a matter of opinion. i started on dota 1 so naturally continued on to dota 2. plus im sure LoL doesnt have a hero that is like Invoker

here turtleman, to sum it up...is there a hero like this on LoL?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy5iUEC7P6g

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:42 pm 
turtleman@can

there's heroes with crowd control and AoE nukes but graphically nothing like that.. animations are a lot less extravagant and visually the game seems a lot more 2 dimensional but imo the gameplay is WAY better than Dota 2, you should try it out

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:43 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can

people just spent the last 3 pages talking about this

quote:
there's heroes with crowd control and AoE nukes but graphically nothing like that.. animations are a lot less extravagant and visually the game seems a lot more 2 dimensional but imo the gameplay is WAY better than Dota 2, you should try it out

good lord you are such a fucking noob lol...you have no clue what hes talking about wrt invoker

Post Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:07 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
quote:

people just spent the last 3 pages talking about this

quote:

good lord you are such a fucking noob lol...you have no clue what hes talking about wrt invoker

what aren't I getting, i watched the video and he has crowd control and aoe nukes?

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:13 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

ok to be fair i watched the video and it doesn't really illustrate what sexican is talking about unless you already know how invoker works

quote:

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:25 am 
aesop rocks

crowd control and aoe nukes is the most general way of putting it....he has 11 spells at his disposal (all that require different key inputs to "invoke" a spell) and is an extremely fast paced hero. ive never played LoL so i have no idea if you have a hero that comes even close to him

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:06 pm 
aesop rocks

a think a huge reason poeople pick one or the other is because the thought of learning 100+ new heroes doesnt sound fun. not only do you have the learn 4+ skills per hero but also the model and mechanics of a new game. id rather do really well on a game ive been playing a few years than start over and be total noob. we arent all 13 like with warcraft 2 and had unlimited hours per day to game Razz

Post Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:12 pm