20%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 30

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sparkz102

dota 2

downloading it - stay tuned.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:30 pm 
_Ataxia_

they need to make a MMORPG based on old school descent, and mechwarrior.

reetrooooooooooo ftw,.

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:35 pm 
Winchester

alot of poll options here i voted!

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:05 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

voted mid or i feed

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:40 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

srsly tho yeah its pretty fun

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:42 am 
TheDRAX

"Mid or I feed" lawwl

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 am 
~Dakine..HeX

its the best game ever

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:02 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

itd be cool to play this with war2 ppl instead of pubs all the time but i doubt theres 10 ppl on this site that regularly play the game : |

quote:

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:38 pm 
Sparkz102

i still need to give it a couple games - I feel im actually at a disadvantage, because my brain is been dota-hardwired for the lat 7yrs and now I gotta adapt to slight changes. everything visual is different, but obviously and I gotta fix the hotkeys because I tried t for sunstrike sooo many times instead of "w".. hardwired son

that said - the game is very similar, even with how they tried to mimic war3's 'clunky' hero stutter-step and close click trips.

and considered it was gifted to me - i'm grateful for the results after 3yrs of waiting and glad others can enjoy it too who didn't have war3tft

the only real problem might be the grahpics, no matter what resolution I got it at, no minor adjustments - but then again - it's still a work in process

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

there's an option somewhere in the config to use legacy keys i think if you dont like qwer. personally i think if you stick with qwer and learn it its easier but its up to you. its probably hard to relearn invoker hotkeys especially

after you get used to the visuals you'll probably like them more, they're way "cleaner" and easier to digest than war3 dota, its a lot easier to tell whats going on in teamfights and such

quote:

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:24 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
itd be cool to play this with war2 ppl instead of pubs all the time but i doubt theres 10 ppl on this site that regularly play the game : |

I have it, but I am god awful. PM me your steam id.

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:34 pm 
Aerasal

I play sometimes but people tell me I suck and to stop playing

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:37 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
quote:

I have it, but I am god awful. PM me your steam id.

im DJScrewRIP

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
I play sometimes but people tell me I suck and to stop playing

yeah maybe but whoever said that is probably worse than you. p much every dota player is trash (especially me lol) so it doesnt matter

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 pm 
Sparkz102

sparkz102 Is main name - LOLSAUCE in game name

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:24 pm 
Sparkz102

quote:
there's an option somewhere in the config to use legacy keys i think if you dont like qwer. personally i think if you stick with qwer and learn it its easier but its up to you. its probably hard to relearn invoker hotkeys especially

after you get used to the visuals you'll probably like them more, they're way "cleaner" and easier to digest than war3 dota, its a lot easier to tell whats going on in teamfights and such

thanks man ~ defly gonna help Mr. Green

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:41 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

huge disappointment. sticking with hon

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by SoCxEcLiPzE

youll be forced to switch soon enough when s2 eventually stops working on their crappy game/everyone leaves it for dota and lol

Post Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:15 am 
_Ataxia_

had to quit LoL after season 2 cause i didn't get platinum and had to get a real job to make money instead of playing LoL professionally.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:41 am 
SoCxEcLiPzE

quote:
quote:

youll be forced to switch soon enough when s2 eventually stops working on their crappy game/everyone leaves it for dota and lol

Nah. I just honestly like HoN better. I like the fast pace and the feel of it. I'm not a huge s2 fan though.

I did try Smite and it was pretty cool.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

i can barely tell whats going on in hon teamfights....besides gameplay though i can't see hon competing longer term with steam and valve's general online framework for the game. hon community is several times worse than the dota 2 community (which is saying A LOT) and i feel like shit like casual mode and mid wars really balkanizes the game's community unnecessarily

quote:

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:08 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i think heroes of newerth does offer a sort of "faster-paced" style dota, because the game certainly is a bit quicker paced. the faster paced style though, turns the game into a more twitch-reflex style of game and the team fights are less "elegant" (i couldnt think of a better word to use) than dota2 team fights.

to me its kind of like gow/EF vs gow/F, the map and units may be identical but due to game speed, different strategies are viable.
so i could see why people would like HoN better in a vaccuum--but take it out of the vaccuum and its easy to see that s2 has some of the worst hero design ever. They had a couple good ones originally, like chipper and puppetmaster were pretty good. But it seems like every hon hero after like 6 months has a blink or psuedo blink mechanism and carry potential.

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:11 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

hon has a few cool hero designs like martyr and empath and stuff. but for every one of those there's a gunblade, a fayde and an emerald warden

quote:

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:15 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

i fail to see the validity to the arguments you guys are making... to each their own i guess

Post Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:46 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
i fail to see the validity to the arguments you guys are making... to each their own i guess

whatever you prefer i dont think it can really be argued that hon breaks up the player base with the noob modes and that, compared to dota, which also isn't perfect, hon has some really silly hero designs...i dare you to show me a dota hero who has as few weaknesses as some guy like EW. and i havent played it in months but when i was playing back at the beginning of the year the early release heroes were always really derivative and boring and obvious cash grabs, though i heard they went full f2p so i dont really know how much the last part applies

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

and on that note i was looking at hon wiki to refresh my memory about the heroes and i got reminded that artillery exists. jesus

quote:

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:00 am 
~Dakine..HeX

when i stopped playing hon i remember the following string of hereoes come out (not necessarily in order)

emerald warden
monkey king
nomad
silhouette
midas
monkey king

so like every 2 weeks s2 would release the next name on the list, and that hero would be sure to be overpowered as hell. games turned into 5v5s with the 10 most recent heroes being picked it seemed like. also I know some heroes are exact ports from dota, but the ones that arent direct ports, like aluna to windrunner--the s2 versions just seem like cheesy imitators. Which could be just my own bias because i played dota first, but meh, i played a lot of heroes of newerth too and its just not as good.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am 
SoCxEcLiPzE

I agree with the F2P/OP cash generation scheme... and the mode thing...but I don't really see the problems with their overall hero designs. I like most of them. Beyond that... EW is far from "op" now. There are almost no "OP" heroes in HoN unless you count the actual F2P ones. The only people who actually think there are "too many OP heroes" are lower tier players.

You can argue this is my opinion. That is all any of us can really give here anyway.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:17 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

the main problem with the hero designs is they keep releasing new heroes that are generally way overpowered and imbalanced upon first release and then have to beat them hard with the nerf stick. given the fact that there's already over 100 heroes (i think? a lot anyway) in the base game and balancing that is hard enough, constantly bringing in new heroes, particularly really OP ones, it leads to some really wonky balance. dota balance changes usually feel kinda incremental whereas with hon i get the feeling they're constantly seesawing back and forth

i dont think all the designs are bad in and of themselves, but they're often not balanced well in the context of the larger game. silhouette would be an example of that, from what i understand she is or was pretty OP (never played with or against her that much myself) but i think a lot of her abilities are cool in concept. a lot of the newer heroes though aren't even as creative as her, their abilities are just retreads of existing ones

i havent played hon in months, but when i was playing it EW had a nuke with silence, a double nuke a la tinker's rockets, except you dont need vision to hit and they also have a slow so they're way better than tinker's spell, and an invisible area denial/vision giving root trap. and on top of all of that hes an agi with a strong right-click whos ult gives him better damage output and gives him flying vision which only exacerbates the map control hes getting from overgrowth. he might not be as strong now and i might be remembering some of this wrong but its just the clearest example i can remember from when i played, heroes that good at everything like that are very boring to play and especially to play against in team games like this

btw for the record i just like talking about the mechanics and shit in these games, i'm not trying to be all "dota is better and its only for pros" or anything

quote:

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:33 pm 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
when i stopped playing hon i remember the following string of hereoes come out (not necessarily in order)

emerald warden
monkey king
nomad
silhouette
midas
monkey king

so like every 2 weeks s2 would release the next name on the list, and that hero would be sure to be overpowered as hell. games turned into 5v5s with the 10 most recent heroes being picked it seemed like. also I know some heroes are exact ports from dota, but the ones that arent direct ports, like aluna to windrunner--the s2 versions just seem like cheesy imitators. Which could be just my own bias because i played dota first, but meh, i played a lot of heroes of newerth too and its just not as good.
ya that whole release-hero-every-week thing was terrible and made me stop playing. i did DL LOL recently and have been messing around on it some

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:31 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

my "favorite" early release hero was artillery and his skill that lets him shit damage on you from 1500 range at level 1 for 80 mana on a 12s cooldown

not that that can't be countered or anything but its just such an unbelievably stupid and annoying ability

quote:

Post Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:40 pm