FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Just played a few games of sc2

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
$paCe

Just played a few games of sc2

Why is it not fun? Graphics look great, controls are superb, races are all unique and interesting in their own way, yet there remains this great void, an emptiness that I can't put my finger in.

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:32 pm 
foonat

community

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:18 pm 
Tupac

Re: Just played a few games of sc2

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
Why is it not fun? Graphics look great, controls are superb, races are all unique and interesting in their own way, yet there remains this great void, an emptiness that I can't put my finger in.

I kinda find fun on it my name is tupac on sc2. try desert strike, or obv!!!

Post Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:12 pm 
Swift

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
community

^this

and maybe age too.

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:01 am 
smurf_king

a few?

youve been massively playing it i would connect to vent and u were playing sc2 24/7

but yeah SC2 BLOWS HARD

Brood War is way better.

Post Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:28 am 
passwillworkeasycompany

the original sc1 i find best. no bs units like ...LURKERS!

on other news in my junk store buying sprees,i got 10 brand new boxes of sc1 for reasons unknown they was just a 1$ each as i cant help but buy my original games over and over...but i have never seen warcraft2bnet ever. i even got a brand new war1 and war2dos.

back to sc1 what server do you play on smurf? as bnet seemed really dwindled last year.

Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:37 am 
turtleman@can

i think icccup is the only alternative to bnet for bw but good luck finding somewhere to play the original sc without the expansion

also $pace what rank are you

Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 am 
$paCe

I dunno, I think I'm in gold right now, haven't played that much. But they keep putting me up against masters for whatever reason. I try to talk in some main channel sometimes but everyone thinks it's more interesting to talk to men on womens names or to argue about who their favorite gosu korean players are. There are just too many people to keep track of.

Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:30 pm 
turtleman@can

You need to join a community - try joining some of the other channels or looking for friends/allies also add war2 players , there's a thread in this forum with most of our IDs although AFAIK there's not many of us that still play regularly.

I used to be in a team with some other people i knew from war2 + others and we all kinda just stopped playing - but there's plenty of those types of teams out there. Just a bunch of guys that are all relatively near each other in skill level hanging out in private channels playing in-house tournaments. I think there's a "LF Team" type of channel to find them

But you probably want to at least get into diamond league before you bother because if you're still in gold league, that means you're still a god damn newbie and should join some custom newbie games perhaps bejeweled or nexus wars would better suite your skill level.

Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:18 pm 
smurf_king

I, dont have key for sc1 but even if i had i would get fucked up with war2 gameplay while re-learning starcraft Razz
and i dont have time for playing another game Razz

starcraft1 was good, i played it for quite some time

Post Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:20 pm 
$paCe

Yeah I'm in gold but that's only because I started learning protoss in my placement phase. With zerg I was high level diamond without trying, and it will be even more so with protoss once I actually sit down and put some hours into the race. I'm fucking amazing, you have no idea, I just have to learn my hotkeys and some basic strats. My apm is easily over 700 before I even build my first pylon. What's yours?

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:21 am 
turtleman@can

I don't know, my APM hovers between 80-100 on average in longer games.. I don't play it that often, especially lately but i've been in the master league for like 9 consecutive seasons or something

strats/build orders are laid out for you in sc2. just watch a few high level protoss replays on youtube and you should have a pretty good idea of what you need to do. people generally do the same 1 or 2 build orders in each matchup. personally i usually play with my own strategies which involves a lot of cheesing.

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:50 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Yeah I'm in gold but that's only because I started learning protoss in my placement phase. With zerg I was high level diamond without trying, and it will be even more so with protoss once I actually sit down and put some hours into the race. I'm fucking amazing, you have no idea, I just have to learn my hotkeys and some basic strats. My apm is easily over 700 before I even build my first pylon. What's yours?

Spam clicking APM doesn't mean you would be good at the game bro. =/

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
smurf_king

even if u spammed your hand and pressing all keys blindly you could not get 800 apm

i think space is exagerrating pretty much Razz

look at this korean dude video at sc1.. (you can see his hand on keyb and mouse)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q

then on the interview he says to be champion you need 300+ apm...

and thats some fucking insane

of course is sc1 and not sc2

i youtubed and could only find 300ish apm videos of diamond players at sc2 Razz

800 apm is really not human i wanna see pic

or is this
$pace ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyyuWbkEJZA

??????????????? Razz

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:13 pm 
$paCe

My serious in game no nonsense spam apm is around 200 average. I feel like I'm pretty decent, the few games I played against computers and people, but I don't always know how to react against certain builds. I'm sure I can be grandmaster material without too much effort, it's just a matter of finding the time or motivation to put in the effort for sc2. Like right now, I'm sitting here exhausted after a long day of truck driving and raping hookers, and I only have the energy to drink my beer and type up this little shin dig for the forum. I've seen whitera replays, and it's nothing I couldn't do with some practice. Most people don't know that my left hand is just as deadly as my right, you should see how I dominate the keyboard, it's glorious, no ctrl group is left unattended to.

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:14 am 
Frostbitten

quote:
yet there remains this great void, an emptiness that I can't put my finger in.

Vagina jokes aside, I find SC2 unenjoyable because it is difficult to do much of anything without your whole army. Yes you can do some minor harrassments and that can win the game, but the game play is vastly different from war2.

In war2 it is constantly just hit squads of units running across the map. It is easy to defend with towers and/or mages. In SC2 the game play focuses much more on building up to a climax rather than a push and pull struggle.

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:20 pm 
Sparkz102

quote:
Originally posted by Frostbitten
quote:

Vagina jokes aside, I find SC2 unenjoyable because it is difficult to do much of anything without your whole army. Yes you can do some minor harrassments and that can win the game, but the game play is vastly different from war2.

In war2 it is constantly just hit squads of units running across the map. It is easy to defend with towers and/or mages. In SC2 the game play focuses much more on building up to a climax rather than a push and pull struggle.

thoroughly agree, its even hard to watch sc2 replays because its all newbie shit of "no rush 20mins" then attack with deathball composition

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:46 pm 
smurf_king

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbitten
quote:

thoroughly agree, its even hard to watch sc2 replays because its all newbie shit of "no rush 20mins" then attack with deathball composition

thats what 99% of sc2 games are?

at sc2, its all about getting big, seize terrain (and be alert that your enemy doesn't overcome u with more seizing), and you dont get attacked until 20mins in game, or you attack only after 20mins game
(
cept for the the reaper rush or sometimes zergling rush)
... i find that gameplay really boring

regular sc2 games range from 20 to 35mins

not to mention, 1v1 and 2v2 are the only worth playing... 3v3 and 4v4 are plain garbage and a waste of time.

war2 is anything but boring, anything can happen, a single peon can make a difference between lose and win...
regular war2 games range from 8 to 20 mins... i like this better Razz

anyway i dont think we can compare 2 games its simply a matter of what everyone enjoys most

p.s. i wasnt a pro at it but neither was a bronze newb...i was gold and fought vs gold and sometimes diamonds... i got gold immeditalely after the 5th game-test (and stayed gold in top10)

Post Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:15 pm 
x

In SC2 the maps are more balanced. When you think about the default War2 map selection, it's often highly imbalanced. But fun--you really had to improvise and compensate for big differences in start positions. In SC2 it's basically identical start position, ramp, natural expansion, symmetric map. Sure, sometimes the worse player won, but it was at the same time very fun.

Post Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm