FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

DT Rush
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Kith-Kanin

DT Rush

I'm really surprised at how many people lose to a fast DT rush. Like I'm hardly master league or anything, but my last 10 games all I did was dt rushes and I won them all.

One zerg came close because he had sunkens at his entrance, but I warped in behind and raped his base.

Even Terran I was able to beat with a proxy rush and then into DT's/stalkers/zeals.

They're so strong and you can get them so fast. The poor zergs I've been playing I've been rocking their main before they even get to tier 2, and the toss are just folding like crazy.

Fun cheese for newbie me.

Post Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

I was watching KHB's stream one game where the other guy DT rushed. He saw it coming and threw down a bunch of spores and sunkens. So the guy merged his DT into archons. Then warped in a few support units and raped him that way instead. Don't forget that little trick if they managed to stop your initial DT rush.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:28 am 
Sypher

is KHB streaming again?

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:41 am 
kublikhan

Dunno, that game I mentioned was awhile ago.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 am 
$paCe

I woulda pegged kith for a dt rusher. Probably has a big ass smile on his face every time he warps them in. Concentrates on cheese instead of getting good at the game, and finds that entertaining.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:26 am 
Picka_materina

Dt is good all the way to high master since everyone else fails to deal with it properly. If you play a high master teran and go dt/proxy dt, just by scanning your base he knows you're doing it, sets up a turret at 6 min mark and waits, once he confirms you went dt, saves 2 scans and just runs you over (since you don't have the proper units to stop it with investing into dt). Zerg just puts a spore and gets huge and runs you over few minutes later.

Otherwise, dt into expo is a really good build that gives you map control and allows you to expand at the same time. Something tos has trouble with.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:54 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by $paCe
I woulda pegged kith for a dt rusher. Probably has a big ass smile on his face every time he warps them in. Concentrates on cheese instead of getting good at the game, and finds that entertaining.

Naw. I was tired of doign the same 'ol shit. 4 gateway push vs toss, 3 gateway mass sentries into robo vs terran, 3 gateway robo push vs zerg OR forge/cannons/FE and push.

The game was becoming boring and nearly the same all the time. I haven't played a single person I can't outmacro yet, but when I lose it's usually the micro.

So I'm focusing more on early pushes, proxies, dt rushes, to gain the map control and then outmacro the fuck out of them. The one zerg I played I dt warped (with the flying warp thingy) into his main because he had sunkens at his XP. I took out his main, and a lot of buildings, which enabled me to expand all over and then when I did my final push it was a cake walk.

Same with Terran. I did a proxy, and built second pylon at his entrance so he can't wall properly, leave one space between everything, then pumped zealots and take out their depot, force them to lift the rax, and fall back to their bunker. Harass scv's, all the while I expand and went DT's which gave me massive map control (3 expansions to his 1). Then I just rolfstomped him with shear numbers.

It'll fail I'm sure, but for me it's about changing the game up, and gaining some map control. If I mix in zealots, stalkers, and 4-5 DT's, I rape the shit out of a terran force that I was normally losing to by trying to do the same thing with sentries, zeals, and stalkers.

PLUS! It forces the Terran to waste his energy on scans, rather than warping in the OP mules to outfarm every race.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Kith-Kanin

Also, I don't make the dark temple at my base. I build a proxy pylon in the middle of nowhere and make the temple there along with the other building (I forget it's name but you need it before buildign a temple).

So really, even if they do scan me they won't necessarily know it's coming unless they're a better player and can figure out something is up.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 pm 
foonat

quote:
I woulda pegged kith for a dt rusher. Probably has a big ass smile on his face every time he warps them in.
LOL

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:46 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
So really, even if they do scan me they won't necessarily know it's coming unless they're a better player and can figure out something is up.

Just by scanning your base seeing your buildings he knows what you're doing. Same as you can know what he's doing by just probe scouting and getting in in time and then later stalker poking.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:04 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Picka_materina
quote:

Just by scanning your base seeing your buildings he knows what you're doing. Same as you can know what he's doing by just probe scouting and getting in in time and then later stalker poking.

He might be suspicious, but he won't know for sure unless he finds the proxy pylon with the Dark Temple and Twilight Council. It's the same as doing a hidden rax rush in war2. You might think somethings up but until you find them you won't know for sure.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm 
Picka_materina

No, he will 100% set up a turret at around 6, 6.30. Ask in teamliquid channel some high master/gm teran to play and dt rush him.

When you go dt, you usually have 3 gates at home and 2 gas. Well, 2 gass gives it away. Since you can't push the scv out before the stalker, and if you are dt rushing you have to take the second gas while cycore is building, even if you delay it, you have to take it before the stalker is out otherwise your dt hits at 9 minutes. Once he sees you take 2 gasses, he's already suspicious. Once he scans, or pokes with another scv, unless you have 5-6 sentries, or you didn't even mask it with a nexus, he's 100% sure its either a dt or void. In both cases, he needs the engineering bay and a turret.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:16 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
No, he will 100% set up a turret at around 6, 6.30. Ask in teamliquid channel some high master/gm teran to play and dt rush him.

When you go dt, you usually have 3 gates at home and 2 gas. Well, 2 gass gives it away. Since you can't push the scv out before the stalker, and if you are dt rushing you have to take the second gas while cycore is building, even if you delay it, you have to take it before the stalker is out otherwise your dt hits at 9 minutes. Once he sees you take 2 gasses, he's already suspicious. Once he scans, or pokes with another scv, unless you have 5-6 sentries, or you didn't even mask it with a nexus, he's 100% sure its either a dt or void. In both cases, he needs the engineering bay and a turret.

I think you're missing what I'm getting at.

DT rush will never work against Master/GM. I don't care if it does. I'm in platinum lol. If it works against my level and some diamonds, then I'm content. Which is why I'm saying that if they scan me, most don't pick up on it.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm 
Picka_materina

Ah ok, yea.

But it does work in master as well.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:21 pm 
Shynko

Cheese works at every level, including GM. Please don't listen to him. Even in GSL, people dt rush, 6pool, proxy, cannon. The way you're doing it is proper, hiding the buildings and such. 2 gas won't give it away either because every toss build requires 2 early gas except 4gate.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 pm 
turtleman@can

Yeah, I could see that working. I used to die to them occasionally because you're usually left just having to guess that it's coming and sacrificing your build order to stop it. I feel like it's a terrible game mechanic, reminds me of all the other insta-win strategies that they've slowly nerfed or moved away from with map size over time.

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:20 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by Shynko
2 gas won't give it away either because every toss build requires 2 early gas except 4gate.

quote:
Once he sees you take 2 gasses, he's already suspicious. Once he scans, or pokes with another scv, unless you have 5-6 sentries,

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:34 pm 
Winchester

When I scout people I like randomly building assimilators on peoples gas whenever im protoss just to be annoying just incase they ever tryed DT rushing me lol, then again im terrible at the game so dont try this at home

Post Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:56 pm 
eS[MaGe]

I have to agree with Picka. I'm a terran and when I scout double gas I already know it's more then likely either DT's or a void ray all-in. Which both require the same response as Picka mentioned. As you advance through the leagues and learn the game you start to pick up on other races openings/timings and what you are actually looking for as you are scouting. You check things such as how much gas has been mined, how many pylons are inside the base, building placement, timing on the cybercore, see if the gateway is spinning, etc.

Anyways~
pz

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm 
Lightbringer-

Is SC2 actually worth it for a casual 30mins - 1hour gamer per day (max) except weekends or not worth it as too much time to learn and train for execution?

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:42 pm 
Kith-Kanin

Watched a ton of replays today. Seems like the most games that are being won at the pro level the toss are using dt's, then going into robo.

The dt's are forcing the terran to use their energy on scans rather than OP mules. Other thing I noticed is the medivac is fucking very OP. They should change the heal rate on it. It's like the majority of games, as soon as medivacs are on the field, the game is over within 2-3 minutes. If terrans don't get medivacs, then it's actually a fair game and lasts for awhile.

I think 2 minor changes would greatly increase balance. Mules last for 70 seconds instead of 90, and medivacs heal 3 health per 2 energy instead of 3 health per 1 energy.

I'm hardly in a position to be calling out for balance changes, but I think those 2 units are the biggest imbalances that Terran have right now and minor fixes would really balance things out imo.

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:58 pm 
eS[MaGe]

quote:
Watched a ton of replays today. Seems like the most games that are being won at the pro level the toss are using dt's, then going into robo.

The dt's are forcing the terran to use their energy on scans rather than OP mules. Other thing I noticed is the medivac is fucking very OP. They should change the heal rate on it. It's like the majority of games, as soon as medivacs are on the field, the game is over within 2-3 minutes. If terrans don't get medivacs, then it's actually a fair game and lasts for awhile.

I think 2 minor changes would greatly increase balance. Mules last for 70 seconds instead of 90, and medivacs heal 3 health per 2 energy instead of 3 health per 1 energy.

I'm hardly in a position to be calling out for balance changes, but I think those 2 units are the biggest imbalances that Terran have right now and minor fixes would really balance things out imo.

I have to disagree with you here. I'm pretty current with scene and watch quite a few games myself. Most pro players and protoss in general rarely even get a dark shrine. The current meta for PvT is "1Gate FE" vs "1Rax Gasless FE". Normally from there you typically see a transition into the ever so popular HT/Archon/Chargelot composition with an eventual tech switch into Colossi when the terran starts ghost production. However there are often times when the protoss will go for colossi first, followed up by HT/Archons. There are still some folks that enjoy executing various 2 base mass gateway(6+) timing-pushes as well. Upgrades play a very significant role in this match up with both terran and protoss favoring double engineering bays or dual forges.

You don't have to actually even make DT's to force a terran to burn scans if that's your goal. You can force scans by denying scouting and giving the terran lack of information. The terran has to know the composition of the army he is facing in order to know if he needs to stop medivac production for vikings or get ghosts first or go marine heavy or marauder heavy, and will need to burn scans later to distinguish when the tech switch will happen.

As for mules themselves, I feel they are balanced till late game when terran are able to drop multiple cc's and sacrifice SCV's for a higher army supply. However; the recent nerfs to the mule have made it slightly less of an impact. As for the early-mid game I find that they are more in tune and serve their purpose. Terran do not make harvesters as quickly as protoss or zerg due to the chronoboost and inject larva mechanics. Therefore terran typically have a lower SCV count then Probe/Drone count.

In PvT, there are phases of the game where each race has their timings and can take control of the map and force the other into a defensive posture. Early on protoss tend to have map control besides the odd random tug of wars around the watch tower. Which forces the terran to make bunkers and play defensive because stalkers out-range and out-run anything until you either finish stimpack or finish concussive shells and are able to clip a stalker. When Medivacs hit the field, the tables turn because the terran can now use stimpack more liberally and can exert map control and force the protoss into a defensive posture. As medivacs hit the field drops become a likely possibility which force the protoss to split his army in half and keep the stalkers in the main and zealot sentry in the natural to avoid damage. However this only lasts until the protoss get some AoE on the map. Either storm or colossi, storm being the more common of the two because of feedbacking medivacs and the potential archon while your waiting for storm to research. At this point in the game it becomes all about positioning the army and trying to force the opponent into an unfavorable one by Ghost/HT dances all the while trying to secure your 4th and prevent the opponents.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:08 am 
$paCe

I agree with what mage said

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:14 am 
eS[MaGe]

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
Is SC2 actually worth it for a casual 30mins - 1hour gamer per day (max) except weekends or not worth it as too much time to learn and train for execution?

Even playing that little just your experience with RTS games in general puts you at an advantage. It doesn't take long to learn, especially with available information. You can find VOD's anywhere, and you can learn a lot from certain casters really quickly. If you do pick it up and choose a race, just stick with a simple strategy until your able to execute it to the best of your ability. You will learn the game faster this way.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 am 
Lightbringer-

How much play does the sc2 freeware allows?? Is it worth it using the free version?

edit:
Did a couple of reading...The free version might do it for me...What race is given free?
As long as its terrans or toss im good!

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:18 am 
$paCe

going from mastering war2, to learning sc2.. so easy. With sc2, pathing works, rally points, queuing.. very noob friendly. Protoss early game is the most like war2 out of all the races with microing zealots and having stalkers that are like high powered archers.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:28 am 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
How much play does the sc2 freeware allows?? Is it worth it using the free version?

edit:
Did a couple of reading...The free version might do it for me...What race is given free?
As long as its terrans or toss im good!

I've seen it on sale for 30 bucks - might as well just buy the game. The demo doesn't give u multiplayer.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:23 am 
turtleman@can

quote:
going from mastering war2, to learning sc2.. so easy. With sc2, pathing works, rally points, queuing.. very noob friendly. Protoss early game is the most like war2 out of all the races with microing zealots and having stalkers that are like high powered archers.

yeah sc2 is pretty similar to war2 so it's not hard to learn although the level of competition is on another level

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:24 am 
Lightbringer-

Im way too casual gamer to justify spending even $30 bucks on it. The game will most probably gather dust Smile

Can we watch replays at least on the free version? This might help me decide tho I am still leaning to the upcoming D3 release if I can up my graphics card.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:46 am 
Kith-Kanin

I dunno. I just watched 20 games from MLG less than a month ago, and nearly every single one as soon as medivacs were on the field, the protoss lost within 2 minutes.

The only games that were somewhat close were when the protoss teched to DT's and used them to harass and keep the terran back until he could get Collosus out.

Post Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:15 am