FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

What race should i pick?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ilyich[as]

What race should i pick?

I need to start playing sc2 so i am good at it for when my brother returns from deployment. What race is the best and which should I choose? I have played the first Starcraft on iccup but I wasnt any good.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:49 am 
$paCe

night elf is the best if you're good at macro

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:38 am 
Rat

Orcs are the best race,

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 am 
-667-

play ud and buy mercs w/ creep moniez

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:27 pm 
kublikhan

Terran owns all. Pick Terran.

Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 pm 
ilyich[as]

to Space - I'm talking about sc2. I suck at macro and just rush every game.

to Rat - I'm talking about sc2. I hate orcs for no good reason.

to -667- I am talking about sc2. Undead is what i played. I ghoul rushed almost every time. I don't even use the heroes special abilities, just the auras. I play it like a zergling rush.

to kublikhan - why does terran own? I think i might pick them because i they seem like the best rushing race. In sc2 every base has a ramp, which pretty much makes a zergling rush worthless.

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:49 pm 
kublikhan

First off, terran is one of the easiest races to learn and most forgiving of mistakes. With Zerg or Toss, you make one big mistake and it could cost you the game. With terran, you often have a chance to recover. Did you just miss a bunch of larvae injects? Uh oh, you are going to be down on larvae for awhile. Did you forget to chrono your upgrades? Crap, now you lost your upgrade advantage. On the other hand what if a Terran misses dropping a few mules? No problem, drop them all down now and watch your income surge.

Second, I think Terran has better early game units than the other 2 races. Marines are just awesome. Combine them with stim and medivacs and you have a really powerful and cheap unit. Toss gateway units really need to get ahead on upgrades to take on a powerful Terran bio army. Or they need to go for higher tech units like collosus or psi storm. Terran also have more openings and it can be difficult for the enemy to predict/scout what the Terran is doing. Is it a 1 rax pressure? 2 Rax marine/scv all in? Or is he building a fast command center behind his wallin and I just wasted larvae on spines and zerlings? Or is he going for a 2 port banshee opening that is going to catch me with my pants down?

Third, if rushing is your goal I think Terran would be a good fit for you. It's too easy to shut down a zergling rush with a wallin/bunker. Zergling rushes seem pretty common in ZvZ, but less common in the other matchups. Zerglings are mainly used for early map control in those matchups. Marines on the other hand can dish out nasty damage all game. Try throwing up a bunker or 2 next to a zerg that tries to take an early expansion. Watch him get behind as he makes a buttoad of zerglins or spines trying to save himself. Meanwhile you can salvage your bunkers go home and get ahead economically. Or if he doesn't respond correctly to your pressure, he might just die right there. If you are really felling nasty, forget bunkers and just make 2 or 3 barracks at home. Then bring all of your marines and scvs with you as you attack. Your mules will let you keep making some reinforcing marines while your hold position scvs are forming a wall to protect your marines and the enemy dies in frustration.

Fourth, every Terran unit is ranged. That means with just a small investment in micro you can often engage those slow melee zerg/toss units with an inferior force. See the stutter step micro link below for an example. Works with ranged units of other races too. I just saw a PvP where both players lost their bases. One guy had 2 stalkers, the other had over half a dozen zealots. The 2 stalkers won in the end because they could shoot the zealots, then run away when the zealots got close.

Fifth, I think Terran just have more variety. Got bored with cheesy scv allins? No problem, Terran has many more strats in their bag. Try out the Carn Build(See link below). Or maybe just a standard TvT tank/viking game.

There is also a pretty nasty terran strategy that works really well against protoss. It is called the 1-1-1 build. it is called that because it involves making 1 barracks, 1 factory, and 1 starport. Then you make marines, a few tanks, a few banshees(or sometimes a raven instead), then go hit the toss. Bring some scv's as well to repair and/or build bunkers and a toss will have a very hard time dealing with it. Even grand masters often fall to this build.

You can find a few youtube videos that walk you through a few of the more common builds:
SC2 Terran Vs Zerg Marine SCV All In Rush

rine tank banshee, the notorious 1/1/1
the notorious 1/1/1 MTB part 2

TvP marine-banshee 1-1-2 push(Raven varient)

Stutter Step Micro

Carn Build TvZ
Carn Build TvT

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:11 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan
There is also a pretty nasty terran strategy that works really well against protoss. It is called the 1-1-1 build. it is called that because it involves making 1 barracks, 1 factory, and 1 starport. Then you make marines, a few tanks, a few banshees(or sometimes a raven instead), then go hit the toss. Bring some scv's as well to repair and/or build bunkers and a toss will have a very hard time dealing with it. Even grand masters often fall to this build.

1-1-1 has to involve a raven. Without raven, its really really easy to stop and not even worth doing. With raven, its very hard to stop unless you already teched to colos/storm, and even then you need to micro properly.
Otherwise, i agree with most of what you said.

Btw, how can you afford sc2 being homeless?

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:41 pm 
kublikhan

Thanx Picka, next time I do the 1-1-1 gonna go with the raven(last time I got raped without it). Although I have been doing FFA's lately so my 1v1 is rusty.

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:51 pm 
$paCe

lolz

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:52 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan
Thanx Picka, next time I do the 1-1-1 gonna go with the raven(last time I got raped without it). Although I have been doing FFA's lately so my 1v1 is rusty.

Raven's a really strong unit. I'm surprised more pro's are not using it in their lineup, especially lategame. I feel it's like the helion. They were totally underused untill someone figured out how freaking powerful they are, so in the end, they even got nerfed. (homeless part was to the ilych, it was kind of unclear from how i wrote it)

Post Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:12 pm 
Sypher

All races have their nuances. No specific race is easier than the others They all have their positives and negatives.

Protoss just feels more like war2. And if you like rushing/allins, you can warp rush. It is an easy build and will still get you pretty high on the ladder. You could probably get high diamond/low masters by only 4warping.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:41 am 
Picka_materina

If anything, teran is like war2.

You can wall, you can repair, has the strongest rush. I have no idea how you tied protos and warp to war2 Smile

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:29 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by Picka_materina
If anything, teran is like war2.

You can wall, you can repair, has the strongest rush. I have no idea how you tied protos and warp to war2 Smile

Because the protoss tech trees are very straight forward. Terran requires shit like add-on swapping, which can take time to get used to. Protoss tech progression is just more fluid. Terran, on the other hand, can become quite reactionary and require you to jump between several types of units.

Terran has best rush? Going 1-1-1 with raven? Life must be good in gold league. lolz.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:33 pm 
turtleman@can

kub pretty much summed up why terran are the best race to play. The way the game is balanced towards them is stupid. They're beatable but you never feel like it's a fair fight , they either curb stomp you or you have your finger on everything they do for 20+ minutes.

Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:05 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
Because the protoss tech trees are very straight forward. Terran requires shit like add-on swapping, which can take time to get used to. Protoss tech progression is just more fluid. Terran, on the other hand, can become quite reactionary and require you to jump between several types of units.

What does any of that have to do with war2? What does it mean "tech tree is straightforward" ? Do you play this game at all? Protos has the shittiest tech tree of them all and has 3 tech paths, while both teran and zerg, and teran especially have a single line tech tree, with a little difference while going mech.

Only race not similar to war2 is protos. Teran has things i mentioned above which war2 players might like, while if anything, tech tree of a zerg is similar to war2, since your hatchery "levels" up as you go by for higher tech tree, as opposed to other 2 races where it's only a building requirement for tech.

quote:

Terran has best rush? Going 1-1-1 with raven? Life must be good in gold league. lolz.

Rofl gold league Smile. From what you wrote above, that might be true for you. If my memory serves me well, you never moved out of diamond. Please don't mention leagues no more.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:26 am 
Sypher

quote:
quote:

What does any of that have to do with war2? What does it mean "tech tree is straightforward" ? Do you play this game at all? Protos has the shittiest tech tree of them all and has 3 tech paths, while both teran and zerg, and teran especially have a single line tech tree, with a little difference while going mech.

Only race not similar to war2 is protos. Teran has things i mentioned above which war2 players might like, while if anything, tech tree of a zerg is similar to war2, since your hatchery "levels" up as you go by for higher tech tree, as opposed to other 2 races where it's only a building requirement for tech.

quote:

Rofl gold league Smile. From what you wrote above, that might be true for you. If my memory serves me well, you never moved out of diamond. Please don't mention leagues no more.

FFS, just look at the mechanics of each race. Protoss resembles orc the most. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

I didn't play the game after season 1 until about 2 weeks ago. I did my 5 placements and have only played two ladder games since. So I guess you are right. I never moved out of diamond. Not sure where I belong, but the two post placement ladder matches were vs high masters players.

I haven't seen you play SC2; however, I assume you are terrible. Just like everyone else who has posted in this thread.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:31 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
FFS, just look at the mechanics of each race. Protoss resembles orc the most. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

Yea, i had instant warpins of grunts as orc, or mass forcefields, or i needed to build close to farms to "power" my other buildings. Oh wait, i didn't have to do any of that. I guess only thing resembling war2 in protos is the storm.

quote:
Not sure where I belong, but the two post placement ladder matches were vs high masters players.

Do you always lie like this or what? Or you don't even know how a master icon looks like, seeing you never played since season 1? If this is you, http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/278580/1/Siffer/
you haven't seen a master player other then while they stream.
lying only makes you look dumber if you're trying to troll it up.

quote:
I haven't seen you play SC2; however, I assume you are terrible. Just like everyone else who has posted in this thread.

Not that i came in here saying i'm good, but i'm certainly better then you are, seeing as you are diamond on NA. Not that it matters, since i played it way more then you did if you did not play since season 1, but still, should not go throwing insults at your betters and just discuss like every other normal person so far in the thread.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:35 pm 
turtleman@can

sypher didn't I curbstomp you the last time we played in one of my tournaments and then you pre-emptively forfeit because u were getting raped so hard.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:01 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
sypher didn't I curbstomp you the last time we played in one of my tournaments and then you pre-emptively forfeit because u were getting raped so hard.

yeah we are like 20-1. The one loss being a map that I had never played before and didn't notice you could backdoor me. Pretty sure I was offracing too.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:42 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Yea, i had instant warpins of grunts as orc, or mass forcefields, or i needed to build close to farms to "power" my other buildings. Oh wait, i didn't have to do any of that. I guess only thing resembling war2 in protos is the storm.

You are comparing spells between two different races(in different games on top of that), dummy. What I am saying is that they are similar mechanically.

quote:
Do you always lie like this or what? Or you don't even know how a master icon looks like, seeing you never played since season 1? If this is you, http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/278580/1/Siffer/
you haven't seen a master player other then while they stream.
lying only makes you look dumber if you're trying to troll it up.

Yes, that is me.

In season 1, I was high Diamond before I quit(Masters didnt exist back then). I quit until two weeks ago. I went 5-0 in placement. I played 2 games after that(was 1-1). Both were vs Master level players. I don't see what I am lying about? Just because I am diamond doesn't mean I play only diamond ranked players. The fact that it matched me vs masters players means the 'system' thinks I belong in masters league. That is why I said that.

quote:
Not that i came in here saying i'm good, but i'm certainly better then you are, seeing as you are diamond on NA. Not that it matters, since i played it way more then you did if you did not play since season 1, but still, should not go throwing insults at your betters and just discuss like every other normal person so far in the thread.

Give me a couple weeks to get back to where I was when I quit and I will curb stomp the living shit out of you.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:54 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
You are comparing spells between two different races(in different games on top of that), dummy. What I am saying is that they are similar mechanically.

Warp is a spell? I'm not getting it, show me one thing that is similar to war2 in protos outside storm. Like i said, other 2 races have way more similarities with war2 then protos.

quote:
I went 5-0 in placement. I played 2 games after that(was 1-1). Both were vs Master level players.

? They are masters? I'm sorry, but you played "disposition" game after placement, who is a mid level diamond. After which you played "spray" who is also a mid diamond, then you lost on taldarim against platinum teran yuis. Do you even know how master icons look like rofl?

quote:
I don't see what I am lying about? Just because I am diamond doesn't mean I play only diamond ranked players. The fact that it matched me vs masters players means the 'system' thinks I belong in masters league. That is why I said that.

Only, well, uhm, it did not match you vs masters...
You do realize it's quite easy to check this in your match history? This is not like war2 where you can fake records just like that

quote:
Give me a couple weeks to get back to where I was when I quit and I will curb stomp the living shit out of you.

yeh yeh, went through that with shotgun, never going to happen.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:24 pm 
Sypher

diposition musta got demoted because I remember when I beat him I was like "wow, wtf diamond bad now." then I looked and saw he was masters and was all sorts of wtf.

Doesn't change the fact that I will be raping you in a couple of weeks.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:15 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
diposition musta got demoted because I remember when I beat him I was like "wow, wtf diamond bad now." then I looked and saw he was masters and was all sorts of wtf.

Doesn't change the fact that I will be raping you in a couple of weeks.

Oh, he got demoted? Spray also got demoted? How about that platinum teran that raped you?

Really, should not have lied so blatantly, this is not war2 where you can fake your records.
quote:
Not sure where I belong, but the two post placement ladder matches were vs high masters players.

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 pm 
$paCe

lol picka did his homework and sypher is stuck looking stupid with his dick in his hand. Good job picka, you actually raped someone on the forum and your translation was decent.

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
quote:

yeah we are like 20-1. The one loss being a map that I had never played before and didn't notice you could backdoor me. Pretty sure I was offracing too.

lol 20-1 , dude i'm pretty sure it's like 6-5 in my favor and every one of those games were me playing random fucking around while u were giving yourself arthritis trying to APM spam your way to victory. Your skill level is leagues below mine

Post Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:57 pm 
Sypher

quote:
lol 20-1 , dude i'm pretty sure it's like 6-5 in my favor and every one of those games were me playing random fucking around while u were giving yourself arthritis trying to APM spam your way to victory. Your skill level is leagues below mine

Standard war2 player not admitting to recs.

All our games were in those stupid tourneys. Most of the time we had to pick eachothers race. I smashed you every game except once. We played every matchup and I only lost 1 game.

Deny more, newbie.

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:29 am 
Picka_materina

quote:
Standard war2 player not admitting to recs.

You mean you?
Seeing how you like blatantly lied just 2 posts above, i don't see how you think anyone would take your word over his on this one?
quote:
Deny more, newbie.

quote:

Your 3 opponents after placements
diposition = mid diamond
Spray = mid diamond
yuis = high platinum.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:51 am 
Sypher

2 weeks and I shit stomp u, ok? Accept challenge?

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 am 
smurf_king

at sc1 protoss zealots have very similar if not the same voice acting of a war2 orc Razz

wether if protoss gameplay ressembles war2 i can't comment on that since I have only played Terran @ SC2, haven't played one single game with any of the other 2 races Razz

not playing sc2 atm, got bored of it

Post Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:48 am