FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

HOTS New Units
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

HOTS New Units

Anyone have any good ideas for new units that are coming in the new expansion?

Personally, I find the game right now is pretty balanced so I don't think it's really a question of 'what do the races need' but more of 'what would make them all equally better by adding/replacing units that already exist.

Units that I could see replaced:
Overseer (I think blizz has already stated they're getting axed)
Roaches (I don't like the role they currently play)
Banelings (I like this unit but I think they could be changed/axed for zvz matchups mainly)

I think for zerg , they need to keep the staples of lings/hydras/ultras but as far as I'm concerned everything else is on the chopping block.

Don't really have very insightful opinions on p and t but.

For terran, I just really want them to get rid of thors and bring in goliaths or something that's less all-in. I don't really like how terran are usually so bio-heavy. I'd like them to tinker with factory units and make them more positional.
Also get rid of mules and replace this mechanic with something that makes them less threatening/unkillable. I could see a bunker speed build upgrade after factory or something so terran can really use them more effectively later in the game to solidy positions.

For Toss, I think they should get rid of motherships and make carriers more viable. Also maybe give them some more meaningful upgrades for zealots.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:49 pm 
Allstar

carriers need some kinda upgrade or ability that makes them take less damage if say X(maybe 5?) interceptors are alive, or maybe dmg is divided between interceptors and the ship. The problem with carriers is they are easily focus fired down, for such an expensive, late game, slow unit, its very underwhelming.

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:33 pm 
Sparkz102

Re: HOTS New Units

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can

Personally, I find the game right now is pretty balanced so I don't think it's really a question of 'what do the races need' but more of 'what would make them all equally better by adding/replacing units that already exist.

Banelings (I like this unit but I think they could be changed/axed for zvz matchups mainly)

I think for zerg , they need to keep the staples of lings/hydras/ultras but as far as I'm concerned everything else is on the chopping block.

For terran, I just really want them to get rid of thors and bring in goliaths or something that's less all-in. I don't really like how terran are usually so bio-heavy. I'd like them to tinker with factory units and make them more positional.
Also get rid of mules and replace this mechanic with something that makes them less threatening/unkillable. I could see a bunker speed build upgrade after factory or something so terran can really use them more effectively later in the game to solidy positions.

For Toss, I think they should get rid of motherships and make carriers more viable. Also maybe give them some more meaningful upgrades for zealots.

what if they start adding units that were in the campaign and slowly introduce them throught the xpos, like maybe terran will have firebats this time around and 3rd sequal get medics n predators

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:55 pm 
SuperSly

quote:
Originally posted by Allstar
carriers need some kinda upgrade or ability that makes them take less damage if say X(maybe 5?) interceptors are alive, or maybe dmg is divided between interceptors and the ship. The problem with carriers is they are easily focus fired down, for such an expensive, late game, slow unit, its very underwhelming.

Agreed, and mothership should do more damage. Like Coli damage x2

Post Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

I think once blizzard realized that Void Rays' whole charge up ray idea didn't really translate into being a good/fair RTS unit and turned them into just a really solid air DPS to air/ground unit - the carrier lost it's place as far as being useful. In Bw they didn't really have a role either but they had a niche use as being a 'oh shit my base is dead time to throw up 5 stargates and a fleatbeacon at my expansion' comeback unit. Now they don't even have that going for them.

They're more like motherships - cool powerful units that don't really translate into being useful in higher level play.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:20 am 
Picka_materina

Should watch some whitera stream and see how carriers can be useful Smile

But yea, they basically take too long to build and are slow as shit

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:27 am 
x

Re: HOTS New Units

quote:

Last edited by x on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:20 am 
Picka_materina

Can't believe you said teran doesnt have a good early push rofl. Bronze league?

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:50 am 
Sypher

cloaked meat wagons.

Post Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:21 pm 
turtleman@can

It's going to be interesting to see what they do decide to do.
I really hope they just give overlords detection. I fucking can't stand ghosts/DTs as a zerg player. It's SO fucking hard to deal with cloaked units when you have to have overseers/spore colonies all over the map. It pretty much makes zerg too defensive.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 pm 
kublikhan

haha fuck that. Then zerg would just be immune to cloak. Cloak can catch terran and toss with their pants down too. I know it's happened to me a few times.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:08 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah the difference is that zerg have to go out of their way to deal with detection. overseers are a pain in the ass to produce and keep alive. And spore colonies are very expensive when their only purpose is to detect something that might wander into your mineral line.

toss and terran have much easier/cheaper/better methods of detection.

Either way, in bw zerg had detection with overlords - so overlord speed was always a necessity. DTs and Ghosts were still used - but just not as game breaking.

I find that late game vs toss and terran - ghosts and DTs are a fucking nightmare. They cause a zerg player to shoulder 10k lbs of pressure as soon as a nuke launches or a DTs starts slapping around your drones. And in particular DTs are so easy to produce. I think DTs are the worst issue with this. It takes a toss player like .5 seconds of time/effort to spit out a few of them and send them across the map. Meanwhile the zerg player from that point forward has to constantly fear the possibility of them and usually overcompensate for their existence.

Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:24 pm 
Picka_materina

Go back to drawing boards. Can't believe what people complain about.
Teran has 4 ways to detect invis units
Zerg 3
Tos 2.

Yet you complain. Spore and spine are the best defensive structures in the game. Not to mention you can move them around as you wish. The issues people complain about are really mind blowing.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:23 am 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by Picka_materina
Zerg 3
Tos 2.

Yet you complain. Spore and spine are the best defensive structures in the game. Not to mention you can move them around as you wish. The issues people complain about are really mind blowing.

who cares about the number. the toss obs is invis so its obviously a million times better than an overseer that gets snipped all game. zerg easily have the most difficulty dealing with stealth.

quote:

i didn't actually think they'd remove or change units at first, just add like all the other previous blizz rts's, but I saw somewhere that they actually will remove and change shit. that's just like admitting they got shit wrong the first time around and it's gonna take them 1 or 2 more tries to make things right. huge cop out and money grab since the two other games will likely cost 60 dollars apiece.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:25 pm 
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
i didn't actually think they'd remove or change units at first, just add like all the other previous blizz rts's, but I saw somewhere that they actually will remove and change shit. that's just like admitting they got shit wrong the first time around and it's gonna take them 1 or 2 more tries to make things right. huge cop out and money grab since the two other games will likely cost 60 dollars apiece.
Blizzard said HOTS will be priced as an expansion set, not standalone game.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:16 pm 
turtleman@can

honestly I played SC2 single player for weeks. I beat every mission on normal/hard and brutal. I beat all the challenges. I got all the achievements. Hell, I even played that stupid viking arcade game for a few hours. I'd say that SC2 was worth 60 bucks without the multiplayer. If they release the expansions with close to the same amount of single player content, I'll happily pay 60 bucks a pop. Although yeah, like kub said they are going to be expansion priced.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:38 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
quote:
Zerg 3
Tos 2.

who cares about the number. the toss obs is invis so its obviously a million times better than an overseer that gets snipped all game. zerg easily have the most difficulty dealing with stealth.

Yeah pretty much this. toss and terran detection pretty much is offered by units/skills/structures that they already build anyway - Zerg go out of their way to get detection. Not sure how you can't see the difference.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:52 pm 
Picka_materina

Yea, you're pretty much irrational and subjective.

Im not sure how you can whine about anything since when you compare numbers with anything, tos loses each time. Compared spellcasters recently, it's insane how bad templar is compared to ghost/infestor.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:31 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Yea, you're pretty much irrational and subjective.

Im not sure how you can whine about anything since when you compare numbers with anything, tos loses each time. Compared spellcasters recently, it's insane how bad templar is compared to ghost/infestor.

you're a bitch with an attitude and you're opinions are stupid as fuck. who the hell compares numbers anyway.

DT harass is way more devastating against zerg than terran. it's only effective against T if they're caught completely off guard, but once you're in mid game terran almost always has energy for scans. DTs for zerg are annoying and frustrating to deal with all game. your overseers get snipped pretty easily by stalkers in battles and its very annoying to deal with roaming DTs raping expansions and your base. without lurkers, protoss doesn't even need detection against zerg. i haven't really seen burrowed banelings used to much extent against toss and with most armies rolling out with an obs, I can see why.

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan
quote:
Blizzard said HOTS will be priced as an expansion set, not standalone game.

I didn't realize that. I really thought they'd just charge the price for a full game again.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:04 pm 
turtleman@can

What numbers are you talking about? I don't know how you can compare spell casters anyway.

Go play zerg for a while and see how you feel after a 45 minute zvt where you're being nuked every 15 seconds. Or go play a zvp where your opponent warps in DTs all over the map and you have to go out of your way to hunt them down/defend vs them while your opponent gets a huge macro advantage on you. The issue is that once you hit late game - macroing is king and if you have to spend 10 seconds countering something that your opponent spends 2 seconds doing, you're fucked.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:18 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
What numbers are you talking about? I don't know how you can compare spell casters anyway.

Easy.
Hp per hp, range per range, spell per spell, cost per cost. Go compare and come back with results, i did.

quote:
Go play zerg

I play all races, how else would i know where they are the weakest. I'm pretty sure i'd beat ur tos as zerg as i beat european masters as zerg. I can't play zvt properly however.

quote:
for a while and see how you feel after a 45 minute zvt where you're being nuked every 15 seconds.

Lol, yea, you guys seem to have a completely strange style of play. Nukes are rarely used on eu, i don't see how they are a problem.

quote:
Or go play a zvp where your opponent warps in DTs all over the map and you have to go out of your way to hunt them down/defend vs them while your opponent gets a huge macro advantage on you.

No doubt that can be a pain, but when you see the dt tech, just put a spore and spine on each base. And dont mention macro as zerg. You have lings, theres no possible way tos outmacros you. If he does, you fail hard.

quote:
The issue is that once you hit late game - macroing is king and if you have to spend 10 seconds countering something that your opponent spends 2 seconds doing, you're fucked.

Spore+spine, try it.
quote:
you're a bitch with an attitude and you're opinions are stupid as fuck. who the hell compares numbers anyway.

Truth hurts, but you should try to get some facts before crying imbalance.

quote:
DT harass is way more devastating against zerg than terran.

It's similar. It's annoying yes, but its one of the few edges tos has over other races. Let's remove that shall we?

quote:
your overseers get snipped pretty easily by stalkers in battles

If this happens, you're doing it wrong. There's no way an overseer can get sniped unless you fail hard. Your units are most likely always more in numbers then toses, if he has more, you failed. If you move the overseer in front, you fail. If you keep him at back, and he blinks inside to snipe it, you'll just decimate all those stalkers that blinked, so it's not a fair investment. Also, if you notice he does the blink+dt build, just bring 4 overlords with you and tell me what happend.

quote:
protoss doesn't even need detection against zerg. i haven't really seen burrowed banelings used to much extent against toss and with most armies rolling out with an obs, I can see why.

Yea, not surprising you fail there as well. Burrowed roaches, you should youtube it. Burrowed infestors, u should youtube that as well.

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 pm 
Aerasal

for fucks sake, I never said anything about balance or removing DT harass. some people on these boards have no common sense thinking whatsoever. all I ever did was reply to your "toss have the least amount of options for detection" by saying zerg easily have the most difficulty dealing with stealth because it sure isn't protoss lol.

and in response to the rest of your blah blah, I see overseers getting sniped quite a bit in pro games so yeah but you're the real pro here, right? burrowed infestors and roaches Rolling Eyes

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 pm 
turtleman@can

Nukes are brutal vs zerg. They wipe out your larvae which in a late game situation when you're maxed and you've got 75 idle larvae to restock once you clash armies, it's game changing. Not to mention the fact that a nuke forces a zerg player to essentially stop playing the game and observe the entire map.

Also those criteria of your comparison don't mean anything. Infestors might have more mana than a templar but feedback one shots an infestor. Same with EMP - wipes it out. They all serve multiple purposes and in the right hands will decimate your opponent. It's not like comparing a zergling to a zealot. Their stats only speak to 1/10th of the issue.

I think the thing you're overlooking is that DTs existed in BW - and Zerg did not require lair detection - and they were still used vs zerg regularly and in deadly fashion. The argument here is that it takes 2 seconds to make a DT and 10 seconds to counter it (just throwing out arbitrary timeframes but you get my drift)

I'm not saying get rid of DTs. I'm just saying make it less strenuous on zerg to deal with them. It's not easy to have Overlords posted everywhere either - they're fodder.

I think all you're seeing here is "ZERG QQ" because that's been the kind of vibe that zerg players have given since beta. If you think zerg are OP fine, but just because you think that they are doesn't mean that they shouldn't tweak other issues. If it takes an exploitable gameplay weakness for toss to compete with zerg, then maybe they need to change that?

Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:52 pm 
Shynko

DT rushes are most effective vs Terran and Protoss. Just an FYI.

Also, you can always use the previous overlords you HAVE BUILT THROUGHOUT THE ENITIRE GAME to turn them into overseers once you're tier2; so downtime between one being sniped and another is literally 5 seconds.

p.s any strat you use that catches your opponent completely off-guard is devastating.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:27 am 
Picka_materina

quote:
all I ever did was reply to your "toss have the least amount of options for detection" by saying zerg easily have the most difficulty dealing with stealth because it sure isn't protoss lol.

Rofl, you're quite new then. I guess you did not see what a cloacked banshee or DT does to tos if he did not scout it, or "sense" it's coming. Keep the QQ coming.

quote:
and in response to the rest of your blah blah, I see overseers getting sniped quite a bit in pro games so yeah but you're the real pro here, right? burrowed infestors and roaches Rolling Eyes

Yea, i guess we figured by now you're quite new.
quote:
Also those criteria of your comparison don't mean anything.

They mean a lot. And in the gameplay sense, they mean even more. And it's not like comparing zergling to zealot because they're different units made with different intentions. Spellcasters are made all for the same reason. Compare them and you'll see.

quote:
The argument here is that it takes 2 seconds to make a DT and 10 seconds to counter it (just throwing out arbitrary timeframes but you get my drift)

I'm not saying get rid of DTs. I'm just saying make it less strenuous on zerg to deal with them. It's not easy to have Overlords posted everywhere either - they're fodder.

It doesn't take 2 seconds and 10 seconds. If you see dt tech, just spawn spore+spine on each hatch. It's late game, zerg always has the minerals. And you obvioulsy dont need overseers everywhere sicne you have spore. And comparing bw to sc2 is like apples and oranges. 2 different games.

quote:
I think all you're seeing here is "ZERG QQ" because that's been the kind of vibe that zerg players have given since beta. If you think zerg are OP fine, but just because you think that they are doesn't mean that they shouldn't tweak other issues. If it takes an exploitable gameplay weakness for toss to compete with zerg, then maybe they need to change that?

Well zerg does whine the most, that's true. And there's major balance issues that need to be addressed, but i dont see that happening with their terran loving. Dt's can be exploitable, but i hardly think of them as imbalance or nerf needing. Your initial suggestions make them useless. That's not how u balance things, and thats why i responded. U have more then enough in zerg arsenal to deal with dts, you just forget it sometimes as there's a lot tos can hit you with. But the same is for other races also. Terran again has the least problems with unexpected things happening.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:36 am 
turtleman@can

They've stated that they're not going to address any more balance issues until the expansion pack hits - although I don't think there are any glaring problems right now.

Which is the point of this thread and my suggestion to get rid of lair detection. Blizzard has already stated that overseers are getting the axe which can only lead me to believe that overlords will gain detection.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:39 pm 
Picka_materina

There's serious balance issues. Check latest gsl - zvz final. Check gsl before that, 4terans. Current mlg, top 8 from groups have 1 tos. More issues gona arise once more abuse becomes apparent. Terans have not even scratched the surface.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:07 pm 
Aerasal

you're way too stupid to have any sort of real discussion with as you continue to contort everything I say.

quote:

Rofl, you're quite new then. I guess you did not see what a cloacked banshee or DT does to tos if he did not scout it, or "sense" it's coming. Keep the QQ coming.

what does this even have to do with what I said? did I ever imply a cloaked banshee or DT rush doesn't outright kill an unprepared protoss or terran? how can you conclude from me saying zerg has the most difficulty dealing with stealth throughout an entire game that I somehow think a cloaked banshee or DT doesn't kill an unprepared opponent?

and QQ? wait, what? *scratches head* since when does an observation equate to crying? what are you even talking about? anyway, last time I played sc2 (last year), I played protoss.
Rolling Eyes

seriously though, I'm not going to read any response to this. I feel like I'm arguing with my 10 year old nephew and it's just way too frustrating.

quote:
Originally posted by Shynko

Also, you can always use the previous overlords you HAVE BUILT THROUGHOUT THE ENITIRE GAME to turn them into overseers once you're tier2; so downtime between one being sniped and another is literally 5 seconds.

p.s any strat you use that catches your opponent completely off-guard is devastating.

this is all very new information to me and I appreciate your insight and contribution to the thread.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:06 pm 
Picka_materina

quote:
how can you conclude from me saying zerg has the most difficulty dealing with stealth throughout an entire game that I somehow think a cloaked banshee or DT doesn't kill an unprepared opponent?

I did not make that conclusion. You have difficulties understanding in general i see. I made a conclusion that zerg in fact does not have the most difficulties with cloaked units as it has more then enough ways to detect them.

quote:
last time I played sc2 (last year)

Should have just mentioned this at start so i'd ignore you. Your opinion or take on anything is as relevant as me talking about quantum physics. My apologies also for calling you stupid as it's clear now why you're so ignorant about anything sc2 related. I liked the 10 year old nephew reference, it's children who often argue about things they don't understand.

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:54 pm 
Picka_materina

MLG
top 12
2 tos, 4 zerg, 6 teran.
top 6
1 zerg, 5 teran.

ballanced Smile

Post Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:06 pm