FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Digital Version
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
baRa

Digital Version

Has anyone bought the Digital version online? Wondering if it works the exact same way as the Hard copy?

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
KingHillBilly

It does

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

but what happens when u reformat?

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm 
KingHillBilly

redownload

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Sypher

It is tied to your Bnet account, so you can download it as many times as you want.

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 pm 
turtleman@can

you don't get a cool box and you have to download the game every time you want to re-install it, which unless you're running some super high speed connection means it will take you like 2 hours vs 20 minutes on a dvd

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 pm 
Frostbitten

you can just download it once and make a back up of the install file...

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:09 am 
turtleman@can

that is true, but is it cheaper to buy it online? I would think that offering it online would cost them pennies compared to selling it through retail stores which probably accounts for 25% of the price

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:13 pm 
Capook

the box is not at all cool, I'm sorry to say. Maybe if you get collector's edition ;o

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:46 pm 
The_G0D

People buy boxed computer games just to get the actual box? For real?? Deary me...

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 pm 
turtleman@can

I think that if you have the choice of having an official DVD with a cool box or just a setup.exe file for the same price, you should take the former

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:46 pm 
The_G0D

meh, latter = less clutter.

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:48 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah i usually end up throwing my pc game boxes in the trash anyway but I just don't like this trend with blizzard and steam of charging pretty much the same price for a digital download as a retail boxed copy when it should be 50% cheaper just because of the cost of distribution but instead of rewarding people for doing the legwork for them, they just pretend it's the same price and soak up all of that profit.

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:05 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
yeah i usually end up throwing my pc game boxes in the trash anyway but I just don't like this trend with blizzard and steam of charging pretty much the same price for a digital download as a retail boxed copy when it should be 50% cheaper just because of the cost of distribution but instead of rewarding people for doing the legwork for them, they just pretend it's the same price and soak up all of that profit.

packaging is cheap as fuck in mass quantities. It's not like 30$ of the game goes to packaging. You also have to think of bandwidth needed for the game download.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:42 am 
Shotgun_

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
quote:

packaging is cheap as fuck in mass quantities. It's not like 30$ of the game goes to packaging. You also have to think of bandwidth needed for the game download.

30% goes to markup of retail stores and distribution.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:09 am 
Sypher

blizzard online store functions the same way(bandwidth usage, etc). No way should a digital download be half the price. That is all I am sayin'.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:55 am 
Frostbitten

Looks like the digital copy is the same price as the packaged copy. I got the digital because it was sold out at most of the stores around me and I didn't even think I wanted to buy it until the last minute.

http://YouTube.com/war2combat | http://YouTube.com/FrostbittenWarcraft | http://www.denverchess.com | http://www.BureauA.com

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 am 
turtleman@can

not only does the retailer get a cut, but remember they have to pay people to work with retailers, they have to mass produce the cds, boxes and manuals, pay people to do the artwork/create them, have them shipped all over the world which also entails dealing with different tax systems and laws (again they need lawyers/accountants, more people on the payroll), deal with retailer contracts where they basically buy unsold copies back, deal with legal issues of lost/stolen/damaged products, etc

blizzards' store has none of these issues. To think it costs them this much money to offer a pipeline for someone to download the game off the internet for 2 hours (which if they're using torrent technology, would cost them absolutely nothing) and offer an e-commerce solution - which plenty of third party companies would offer to do for pennies - is completely wrong

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:55 am 
BanMe

quote:
not only does the retailer get a cut, but remember they have to pay people to work with retailers, they have to mass produce the cds, boxes and manuals, pay people to do the artwork/create them, have them shipped all over the world which also entails dealing with different tax systems and laws (again they need lawyers/accountants, more people on the payroll), deal with retailer contracts where they basically buy unsold copies back, deal with legal issues of lost/stolen/damaged products, etc

blizzards' store has none of these issues. To think it costs them this much money to offer a pipeline for someone to download the game off the internet for 2 hours (which if they're using torrent technology, would cost them absolutely nothing) and offer an e-commerce solution - which plenty of third party companies would offer to do for pennies - is completely wrong

Why are gamers so spoiled? Yeah SC2 downloaded is such a bad value at $60. If you don't want to pay for it don't play it or don't cry when they stop making Starcrafts because they don't rake in monthly subscriptions like WoW or have shallow gameplay to cater to the lowest common denominator. Seriously lucky to even have a game like SC2 in today's videogame climate. You should be happy the full price is going to the developer to fund their staff and make more games without having to sell quite so many copies.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:07 pm 
foonat

blizzard has made $600 million in profit after taxes so far this year, i don't think video gamers should be grateful

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:16 pm 
turtleman@can

I don't think it's a spoiled gamers' opinion that they shouldn't be charging the same price for digital distribution as retail. I have the same issue with xbox live, steam and other platforms that do the same thing. Maybe it is an agreement with retailers that is forcing them to do this, but either way it's called price gouging and it's unethical. It would be like charging some guy on ebay from Australia that bought a cd from me in Canada 30 bucks for shipping and handling and then giving him a link to download the cd from.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:08 pm 
7VlesSiah

While Blizzard makes more profit from the digital copy, they cannot undersell the retail price in stores. It is important to keep that distribution system healthy. They get a lot of free publicity and advertising from the stores. What motive do the retailers have to push the sales of SC2 if Blizzard is just going to undercut their selling price? On any company website that distributes to store chains, the best deal you can get is the retail price.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:49 pm 
turtleman@can

It doesn't matter how you slice it. It might be a great business idea for blizzard and retailers, as it is mutually beneficial to have lineups of people at midnight on the news outside of a particular chain for a blizzard game. But it would also be beneficial for me to just take 10 dollars out of everybody's pocket for absolutely nothing. I would be rich. That would be awesome.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:11 pm 
7VlesSiah

If you set aside greed, the system they are using now is more logical than underselling the retailer.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:37 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i love how people like turtleman only care about corporations fucking people over and social injustice when it means he has to pay $60 for a digital download of a computer game

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:58 pm 
turtleman@can

Well it makes sense that they wouldn't want to undersell their competition but at the same time, they aren't offering the same product. You go to a retail store and you get all of the bells and whistles. You buy it online and you have nothing tangible to show for it. Couple this difference with the demographics of people savvy and willing enough to buy it online who have high speed connections and that market shrinks in size, which still leaves retailers making their payday, getting publicity, yet those online buyers still getting ripped off.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:08 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
i love how people like turtleman only care about corporations fucking people over and social injustice when it means he has to pay $60 for a digital download of a computer game

why am i supposed to care about things that don't impact my life.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:09 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i guess since you're a fat lizard brained sociopath you're not supposed to

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:13 pm 
turtleman@can

How do you have the time to care about other peoples' problems when you have so many of your own

also what would jesus say

Post Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:26 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
also what would jesus say

jesus would probably say you're an entitled sinner asshole and you should repent and take better care of your fellow man

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:50 am