FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

some guy goes off on battle.net 2.0

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Axolotl

some guy goes off on battle.net 2.0

http://www.the-ghetto.org/content/battle-net-2-0-the-antithesis-of-consumer-confidence

I hate that god damn POS, also.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Aerasal

skimmed through but i agree with pretty much everything

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:31 pm 
Fast Luck

Battle.net 2.0 reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Bart goes to Kamp Krusty. The warning signs were there. Bart trudged through sweatshops, imitation gruel, and death marches on the premise that Krusty would come. And then he did. But it was Barney Gumble in a clown suit. And Kamp Krusty burned.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 pm 
BanMe

word, activision is patenting the "Guitar Hero effect". Probably literally, too.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:17 pm 
kublikhan

He was right. That one picture with the stone summed up the situation much better than his long rant.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:00 pm 
turtleman@can

LAN Support would be nice but I mean, what's the difference ? It's not like there's a group of starving children somewhere huddled around 6 - $1000 PCs capable of running SC2 that don't have internet access.

Also I don't recall blizzard stating that they are not going to include tournament features, in fact I remember reading the opposite.

As far as fully customizable games, I don't really see this either. You can't pick your game name? Big deal, people on bw create game names that crash your game when you click on them or just create retarded game names and stay logged on for weeks on end.

And then chat channels, again; who really cares. I'm sure that somebody will create an app that solves this problem within weeks of the game being released anyway. Since when were chat rooms hard to create? All somebody needs to do is create a separate chat program that will run in the same window as SC2 and then minimize when games are launched

The inconvenience of having to add people to your party to play with them, which is a pain in the ass but then again, when do you ever want to play with people that aren't your friends (in some form) or people that you don't want to continually play with? This does come up in war2 but ideally, everyone wants to play with only their friends.

And the lack of cross regional play is another minor issue, but honestly I'd say that 1% of the people that play this game will care about this. I've got european friends that I like to play with, and I will probably buy a european version to do that, but I'm a very small minority. And I would gladly buy a 2nd copy of the game to avoid dealing with language barriers and koreans that log on our servers simply to dick us around with their 18 hour a day honed skills.

oh yeah and the whole 1 account/smurfing thing I think is pretty good in that it will hold people accountable for their actions. I mean, let's face it. even in a community as small as war2, I guarantee that 99% of the bullshit you put up with has come from a smurf. There's 99 cowardly assholes out there for every 1 brazen asshole.

So I guess my whole point is that you can look at a lot of these lack of features in two ways. Most people seem to be taking the angle of "this is going to ruin my life" but personally I'm glad for some of the changes and view the others as minor inconveniences.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:44 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
LAN Support would be nice but I mean, what's the difference ? It's not like there's a group of starving children somewhere huddled around 6 - $1000 PCs capable of running SC2 that don't have internet access.

Also I don't recall blizzard stating that they are not going to include tournament features, in fact I remember reading the opposite.

As far as fully customizable games, I don't really see this either. You can't pick your game name? Big deal, people on bw create game names that crash your game when you click on them or just create retarded game names and stay logged on for weeks on end.

And then chat channels, again; who really cares. I'm sure that somebody will create an app that solves this problem within weeks of the game being released anyway. Since when were chat rooms hard to create? All somebody needs to do is create a separate chat program that will run in the same window as SC2 and then minimize when games are launched

The inconvenience of having to add people to your party to play with them, which is a pain in the ass but then again, when do you ever want to play with people that aren't your friends (in some form) or people that you don't want to continually play with? This does come up in war2 but ideally, everyone wants to play with only their friends.

And the lack of cross regional play is another minor issue, but honestly I'd say that 1% of the people that play this game will care about this. I've got european friends that I like to play with, and I will probably buy a european version to do that, but I'm a very small minority. And I would gladly buy a 2nd copy of the game to avoid dealing with language barriers and koreans that log on our servers simply to dick us around with their 18 hour a day honed skills.

oh yeah and the whole 1 account/smurfing thing I think is pretty good in that it will hold people accountable for their actions. I mean, let's face it. even in a community as small as war2, I guarantee that 99% of the bullshit you put up with has come from a smurf. There's 99 cowardly assholes out there for every 1 brazen asshole.

So I guess my whole point is that you can look at a lot of these lack of features in two ways. Most people seem to be taking the angle of "this is going to ruin my life" but personally I'm glad for some of the changes and view the others as minor inconveniences.

i don't think it's any specific thing that has people peeved about bnet 2.0 the most, but the general douchebag direction of control and kittyfying its taking with all that shit combined. that's also the gist i got from the article. the author explains how he actually defended blizz's no lan stuff originally, but in retrospect thinks it has more to do with bnet 2.0's direction.

Post Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
And then chat channels, again; who really cares.

a whole lot of people apparently?
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:42 am 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:

a whole lot of people apparently?

fixed

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:58 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

that's not fixed, i read your stupid question and i answered it. it was a really stupid question

and yes someone can make an outside chat program, what's your point? it should be part of the actual game. if i'm playing a fps and they didn't let you customize your keys its not an ok decision just because someone will come out with an app that lets you do it

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:06 pm 
Sypher

chat overlay wouldn't work. It would most likely result in a warden ban since it would have to be hooked to the SC2 screen.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
chat overlay wouldn't work. It would most likely result in a warden ban since it would have to be hooked to the SC2 screen.

i'm turtleman and i say just use irc!!! lack of chat is a feature

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:17 pm 
7VlesSiah

I don't have a problem with 3rd party chat. They just need to give us the tools to easily form games. Like the old name/pass system.
The stuff the community sets up usually functions better than blizzard's.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:20 pm 
turtleman@can

I actually am responsible for the decision to not include chat rooms, when I explained to the CEO of activision that we could watch ghostnuke cry like a wounded hyena , he swiftly made the call.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:39 pm 
turtleman@can

also I dunno if chat overlay would be detectable, but I doubt blizzard would ban accounts for using it. It would just become a nuisance. I've told official blizzard representatives that I was banned from battle net because I was using iccup (an illegal server/copy of the game) because it had hack protection, and they reinstated my account.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:45 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
I actually am responsible for the decision to not include chat rooms, when I explained to the CEO of activision that we could watch ghostnuke cry like a wounded hyena , he swiftly made the call.

i don't really feel that strongly about it, i haven't played sc2 for weeks because b.net 2.0 has horrible latency problems. you're the one who typed a giant rant defending your pet mega corporation screwing their user base over. step yo posting game up nigga

Post Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:11 pm 
Beau

yeah its going to be a disaster, esp in korea

Post Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 pm