No plans for chat, segregation of the communities as well
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Kith-Kanin

No plans for chat, segregation of the communities as well

Check this interview:

http://www.incgamers.com/Interviews/270/blizzards-frank-pearce-interview

It's really not very good.

Page two is just disappointing entirely.

A european player has to buy the american client in order to play. Talk about garbage.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 4:10 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Floy[d]

yeah thats bullshit

Post Sat May 29, 2010 4:35 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

Blizzard has gotten too greedy. They are fucking over Korean E-sport as well trying to grab royalties on the SC broadcasts. There is a lot I don't like about this game and most of it centers around Bnet 2.0 and blizzard's behind the scenes actions.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:01 pm 
7VlesSiah

Got to love their fake reasons. Like "yes you can play on different servers but you must pay for a different copy". Then he goes to say "You cannot play on different servers because the technology is not there". So what the fuck is it? Blizzard is just raping people for cash.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm 
Floy[d]

anyone else have blizzard/bestbuy try and fuck them? They tried to run the amount for the preorder twice on my debit card. Once the day i ordered, and once again this morning (two weeks difference)

Post Sun May 30, 2010 1:25 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

I don't like how they're basically creating these rules to make more money. We've been playing RTS games across the globe for years and all of a sudden, it's technically not possible and yet we have the option of purchasing another copy of the game to play on a different server? That's basically just saying "hey, we're going to make you buy the same game 2 or 3 times just because we can".

It doesn't really surprise me though, the charges they have on wow are ridiculous. They charge you like 30 bucks to transfer a character from one server to another, which is something that they could easily create an automated system to do for them, and probably already have. Then they charge you 20 bucks or something stupid if you want to change your characters' sex/race or whatever which again should just be a feature of the game. Meanwhile you're paying 50 bucks for every expansion pack they release and on top of that, you're paying 15 bucks a month just to play the game. Anyway with all of the ways they're making money off of wow, I guess it makes sense that they're going to try and create a comparable business model with sc2. I'm just waiting for them to start charging you 50 cents every time you lose a game so that they can bring your account back to life.

Post Sun May 30, 2010 1:43 pm 
TheSituation

what was that "PH expires in" crap hopefully they arent planning pay to play

Post Sun May 30, 2010 1:48 pm 
Scrubbolator

There are just so many things wrong with the direction that Blizzard is going with battlenet2 that it's incredibly worrying and disappointing. Up until recently I've had faith in them to end up making a great game because they are Blizzard after all, but I'm really starting to doubt that now.

Here's a list of the things wrong with bnet2:

-no chat rooms

-no LAN. even the idea for a pseudo lan where you'd have to connect to bnet first was completely scrapped

-no cross region play

-inadequate ladder/league system

-no clan support, though they promise to add it later on. this should be standard with the release

-not optimal latency. i've played games on garena and iccup and i could play with people around the world with incredibly good pings

-terrible friends system

-terrible custom game system. me and a friend were trying to play a custom and it was hell for us just to join the same game

-limitations on custom maps

-no in game tournament feature that could make setting up tournies much easier. add to the fact that with the lack of chat channels and the shitty friends system i imagine it would be incredibly hard to host any kind of tourney.

Post Sun May 30, 2010 2:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Kyr.Luoson

Fuck you guys got it better then me

There locking my country New Zealand into the SEA region, which means i cant play on the American server

I get to play with Aussies and dun dun dun, a whole bunch of Asian countries that don't speak English like the Philippines Crying or Very sad

Post Sun May 30, 2010 5:06 pm 
Kith-Kanin

Yeah I'm pretty disappointed with the new Bnet they're attempting. If I was a more serious gamer I'd be pissed right off, but considering that the "casual" atmosphere of the game kind of suits where I am in life... I'm only moderately annoyed.

Sucks we won't be able to play with our greek friend Scrubbo though, unless he buys an American client. Really stupid in fact. That's probably my largest complaint.

Post Sun May 30, 2010 5:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Floy[d]

the technology is not there yet to play around the world? Were playing War2 on a server that was made to run a kindergarten computer lab, around the world, wonder how many different country play on it.. (no offense, to the server owners, but in comparison, its true)

Post Sun May 30, 2010 6:11 pm 
kublikhan

goddamnit. I really like starcraft 2. I was planning on switching to playing this instead of warcraft 2. But how could they not even include something as basic as chat rooms? Screw their stupid reason "With our elite matchmaking skillz, you won't need chat rooms." Sometimes players just might want to talk to each other, ever think of that? And I am still annoyed at the crappy ladder system. Now it's going to be region locked as well? I think I read somewhere that you even have to login to bnet just for the single player campaign? This blows. This was going to be the one game I buy without reservation. Now I am not so sure anymore. Bnet 2.0 sounds like a reduction of functionality not an improvement. Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon I saw once:

"What new features does your latest software version have?"
"Our new version is actually a step backwards both in functionality and stability. But we are counting on your irrational need to have the latest version."

Does anyone know if 2 people in the same house on the same IP will be able to play in the same game of starcraft 2? We have 2 computers in the house with internet access, but we only have a single dynamic IP. I understand we would have to buy 2 copies of starcraft 2, but I am not sure even that is enough because of the IP problem. I know you could not do this in war2/starcraft, but I was hoping they put in support for this in bnet 2.0.

Post Sun May 30, 2010 11:49 pm 
Sypher

in warcraft 3, you could change the port needed in game. I am sure they will do same thing in SC2

Post Mon May 31, 2010 12:53 am 
kublikhan

Check out TeamLiquid response to this bnet 2.0 BS:

quote:
Originally posted by article
Poll: Do you like the direction BNET 2.0 is taking?
No: 6227(94%)
Yes: 370(6%)
Blizzard:"No plans for chatrooms, crossrealm play"

And Husky's response:
The State of Battle.Net 2.0

Both TeamLiquid and Husky hate these changes for BNet 2.0. It really sucks :/

Thanks for the info on the port Sypher.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 1:09 am 
Beau

Video about it from Husky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-r_uCaFxg8

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=128252

Post Mon May 31, 2010 7:50 am 
Fast Luck

What's their agenda w/r/t not having chat rooms? There must be something.

Stupid either way.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 am 
7VlesSiah

Were going back to War2 DOS days. You must use a 3rd party chat program to find games. Only problem is when you want to launch you must first get every player's personal email, add them to you SC2, create a chat party, create a game, invite them while kicking all your other friends who join, then launch. The moron who designed this should get fired. Seriously. What sort of idiot would think this is a good system? Dos War2 with a virtual ipx server was a far better system than this.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 9:59 am 
~Dakine..HeX

husky makes a good point about the xboxlive-ification of bnet 2.0

xboxes have controllers

PCs have keyboards

its a different atmosphere completely, if i wanted to play xbox live, i would. But I don't because it bores me. I also don't play SC2 anymore, because it bores me.

gameplay of sc2 is excellent, 9/10
everything else of sc2 is about 1/10

i'll buy the game hoping that the interface gets a complete overhaul, and basically just to have it, but I doubt I will play SC2 with any regularity.

i've thrown my hat in to support S2 Games, I like the way they do business and HoN is a fun game to play with friends. S2 took a good game (dota) and made it better by adding a _ton_ of the very same features that blizzard has neglected to include in sc2.

time to short ATVI, eh?

Post Mon May 31, 2010 12:01 pm 
Aerasal

what's more, they delayed the release of the beta for a year because of all this bnet 2.0 bullshit.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 12:49 pm 
Fast Luck

I mean it seems bad for business to make it impossible for people to form online communities and very hard to meet new gaming buddies. Won't those kinds of things keep people coming back and playing, and thus buying expansion packs, etc.? But they must have some idea that in some way not having chatrooms is going to make them more money... I just don't get what the reason may be.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:17 pm 
kublikhan

One reason being speculated on was to make bnet 2.0 the same on xbox and the pc. Since console's don't have a keyboard, no chatrooms. Not sure If I buy this though.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:49 pm 
Kith-Kanin

I've hardly touched SC2 since patch 13. It basically ruined everything I enjoyed about the "community" simply because I couldn't add friends without their email addresses.

If Bnet 2.0 isn't somewhat changed I won't be running out to buy SC2 tbh. I have other games I'd rather play anyways.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 6:53 pm 
Scrubbolator

just found this on the teamliquid thread

http://investor.activision.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=1047469-10-1649

quote:
Our results of operations or reputation may be harmed as a result of offensive consumer posted content.

We are subject to risks associated with the collaborative online features in our games, such as World of Warcraft 's online chat feature, which allows consumers to post narrative comment, in real time, that is visible to other players. Despite our efforts to restrict inappropriate consumer content, from time to time objectionable and offensive consumer content may be posted to a World of Warcraft gaming site or the sites of other games or game services, such as Battle.net, with online chat features or game forums which allow consumers to post comments. We may be subject to lawsuits, governmental regulation or restrictions, and consumer backlash (including decreased sales and harmed reputation), as a result of consumers posting offensive content, any of which could harm our operating results.

quote:
The future success of our business depends on our ability to release popular products in a timely manner.

The life of any one console or hand-held game product is relatively short and generally involves a relatively high level of sales during the first few months after introduction followed by a rapid decline in sales. Because revenues associated with an initial product launch generally constitute a high percentage of the total revenues associated with the life of a product, delays in product releases or disruptions following the commercial release of one or more new products could have an adverse effect on our operating results and cause our operating results to be materially different from expectations. It is therefore important for us to be able to continue to develop many high quality new products that are popularly received and to release those products in a timely manner. If we are unable to continue to do so, our business and financial results may be negatively affected.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 7:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

Perhaps they should have paid more attention to this section:

quote:
Originally posted by article
We compete for the leisure time and discretionary spending of consumers with other video game companies, as well as with other providers of different forms of entertainment, such as motion pictures, television, social networking, online casual entertainment and music.

The interactive entertainment industry is intensely competitive and new interactive entertainment software products and platforms are regularly introduced. Our competitors vary in size from small companies with limited resources to large corporations with greater financial, marketing, and product development resources than we have. We believe that the main competitive factors in the interactive entertainment industry include: product features and playability; brand name recognition; compatibility of products with popular platforms; access to distribution channels; quality of products; ease of use; price; marketing support; and quality of customer service.

If you give shitty features and customer service, people are going to go elsewhere.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 8:28 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

lol fuck blizzard

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 8:31 pm 
Sypher

That really isnt blizzard. That is more activision.

*points to ash*

fix it.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 9:07 pm 
turtleman@can

I read some of that teamliquid thread and somebody pointed out that facebook has 400 million active users which could be a reason that they're pushing people away from chat and towards using facebook, since it will be free advertising to most of the online world. If your 150 friends see that you're playing starcraft 2, they're going to wonder what the hell it is and why you're always playing it. If they have chat rooms, people aren't going to use facebook to get games and thus no advertising. It's actually a pretty great business idea.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 9:56 pm 
Fast Luck

That would make sense if that's how they wanted to force people to add friends, ... but that has little to do with chatrooms

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 pm 
Floy[d]

i wonder what they are paying facebook

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:03 pm 
turtleman@can

well I just logged on and I added friends by facebook and there were 5 people on my facebook to add as friends. Once the game is actually released and it's not just people that are playing the beta, I would imagine that this number would probably be greater. So it's an easy way to just mass-add people to your list without having to add them individually by referencing their e-mail.

Anyway once you start clicking battle net and facebook together, with all the facebook app/groups and inter connectivity the sky is the limit.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 10:22 pm