FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

No plans for chat, segregation of the communities as well
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
well I just logged on and I added friends by facebook and there were 5 people on my facebook to add as friends. Once the game is actually released and it's not just people that are playing the beta, I would imagine that this number would probably be greater. So it's an easy way to just mass-add people to your list without having to add them individually by referencing their e-mail.

Anyway once you start clicking battle net and facebook together, with all the facebook app/groups and inter connectivity the sky is the limit.
yeah and why are there no chatrooms

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:35 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
That really isnt blizzard. That is more activision.

*points to ash*

fix it.

cite?
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:39 am 
turtleman@can

quote:
Starting with the release of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty your Facebook friends can easily become your Battle.net buddies as well, as Blizzard unveils integration with the world's most popular social networking website.

Odds are your Facebook and Battle.net friends list don't coincide much, but that's about to change, as Blizzard reveals Facebook integration features coming to Battle.net with the release of the first game in the StarCraft II trilogy. The initial integration will give Battle.net users the ability to add Facebook friends to their Battle.net friend list. That's the sort of unobtrusive Facebook integration I can appreciate. The moment I start getting group invites for World of Warcraft instances in my Facebook feed however, I'm out.

"We're pleased to be working with Facebook to integrate their platform with Battle.net to enhance the social-entertainment experience for our players," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "This new functionality will make it easier than ever to connect with friends on Battle.net and play StarCraft II and future Blizzard Entertainment games together."

Facebook functionality will be introduced into the StarCraft II beta in the coming weeks, leading up to the game's July 27 release.

And this is only the beginning. Look for more details on further Battle.net/Facebook integration from Blizzard in the coming months.
source;
http://kotaku.com/5531740/starcraft-ii-hooks-up-with-facebook

I'm pretty sure there's no chat rooms to push people away from the old way they would interact with people playing games which is mutually beneficial to facebook and blizzard.

If you look at facebook's chat interface, it's essentially the same as blizzards' friends interface. facebook is the biggest advertising tool on the planet.

anyway that's the most compelling argument I can think of ,

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i noticed that too and i think its obvious they're all about that "web 2.0" shit

its just incredibly stupid. i like the facebook feature ok, but it shouldn't supplant chat rooms. 99% of my facebook friends are just my real life friends who have no interest in starcraft, i'm not going to be playing with them and no chat rooms means it's going to be much harder to make friends on battle.net just for gaming

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:55 pm 
Sypher

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
quote:

*points to ash*

fix it.

cite?

If you dig around on TL.net, you will see that Activision stakeholders are more interested with blizzard keeping deadlines than releasing a finished product which satisfied long term fans.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:00 pm 
Sypher

quote:
yeah i noticed that too and i think its obvious they're all about that "web 2.0" shit

its just incredibly stupid. i like the facebook feature ok, but it shouldn't supplant chat rooms. 99% of my facebook friends are just my real life friends who have no interest in starcraft, i'm not going to be playing with them and no chat rooms means it's going to be much harder to make friends on battle.net just for gaming

Ghostnuke is proxy 2gating in a solo ladder match. Click here to help!

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:01 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
If you dig around on TL.net, you will see that Activision stakeholders are more interested with blizzard keeping deadlines than releasing a finished product which satisfied long term fans.

i don't think anyone doubts that, but blizzard isn't some little podunk studio, it's not even infinity ward. blizzard is a two decades old developer with an incredibly loyal and incredibly large fan base, anything the put out is going to sell a million units in a week or more. that's huge for PC. i feel like they have some leeway here, i really doubt blizzard execs are begging activision for more time to implement chat rooms, they're probably also mostly interested in the profits

quote:
Ghostnuke is proxy 2gating in a solo ladder match. Click here to help!

lawl

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:13 pm 
Sypher

Obviously blizzard is interested in profits, they always have been.

The difference now is that they share stakeholders with a bunch of evil fuckheads who could care less about quality. While blizzard isn't activisions little bitch, they still have to answer to the powers that be.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:29 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i just think they could be more persuasive if they really feel that strongly. i think the honest truth is that they don't really care about chat rooms and all that other shit very much at the high levels. they're a giant amoral company too

quote:

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:31 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:

yes I am in the same boat and I am a little hesitant about crossing my online pc gaming life with my real life. Although I have my facebook features set up so that I don't have people talking to my entire friends' list. Imagine if jon was posting shit on your wall. That would be a nightmare

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:01 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

burnt already spams everybody on this board through facebook somehow (though somehow i've avoided it), imagine how bad that shit would get when you're posting links to your facebook on here so people can add you as a b.net friend

quote:

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:04 pm 
foonat

yeah i'm f-book friends with a few select war2ers (including burnt, he's never bothered me) and don't plan on expanding that group to include everyone i have an interest in playing sc2 with. i guess it's going to be a single player game for me Sad

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm 
GreenHorn

I'm not going to get a facebook account. So I guess I'll have few sc2 buddies. '=[

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:07 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:

The difference now is that they share stakeholders with a bunch of evil fuckheads who could care less about quality.

I don't agree with this statement at all. I think the interface quality is amazing, and SC2 gameplay quality is amazing as well.

I think overall the quality of SC2 is 1000x better than most other studios produce.

I think some of the "features" though, or lack thereof... suck.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:

The difference now is that they share stakeholders with a bunch of evil fuckheads who could care less about quality.

I don't agree with this statement at all. I think the interface quality is amazing, and SC2 gameplay quality is amazing as well.

I think overall the quality of SC2 is 1000x better than most other studios produce.

I think some of the "features" though, or lack thereof... suck.
My thoughts on the matter:
SC2 rox. BNet2 blowz.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:34 pm 
Scrubbolator

quote:
Originally posted by kublikhan

SC2 rox. BNet2 blowz.

yep

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:57 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
BanMe

quote:

*points to ash*

fix it.

Hehe its definitely blizzard's decision. They love good games but once they made a good game that also made a shit ton of money, that's bound to cause some greed. So they are just doing whatever they can to make SC2 even comparably profitable to WOW, which in the end is to our benefit so that games we like can be justifiably made from a financial perspective.

I have nothing to do with activision "overwatch" or blizzard, all I do at the moment is single player gameplay design on Black Ops.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

rofl so games can be justified from a financial standpoint, fuck you ash if you believe that noise, sellout.

ATVI is big business, not "mom-and-pop-struggling-to-survive-will-our-next-game-bankrupt-us? games, inc"

they are in the exact position to really assert that quality and customer service are staples of their organization. But instead they show only greed.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
rofl so games can be justified from a financial standpoint, fuck you ash if you believe that noise, sellout.

ATVI is big business, not "mom-and-pop-struggling-to-survive-will-our-next-game-bankrupt-us? games, inc"

they are in the exact position to really assert that quality and customer service are staples of their organization. But instead they show only greed.

But you may as well just complain about capitalism then?

Of course money is going to be their goal.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
quote:

But you may as well just complain about capitalism then?

Of course money is going to be their goal.

capitalism does bring out the greed in many, and those are individuals/entities that I would rather not support. Companies like old Blizzard made games to make the best games .

now blizzard appears to be a company that makes games to make money ...a subtle difference

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:31 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

blizzard's always been about making money. the difference is now it's much easier to make a shitty game and have it sell millions of copies than it used to be (see modern warfare 2)

quote:

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

the most successful companies don't make "getting money" the primary concern.

of course, they do end up getting money, or else they wouldn't be successful.

good example is Zappos, great company

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:39 pm 
foonat

all "the most successful companies" make maximizing shareholder return their primary concern, and if they didn't, they wouldn't have any shareholders and therefore wouldn't exist

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
all "the most successful companies" make maximizing shareholder return their primary concern, and if they didn't, they wouldn't have any shareholders and therefore wouldn't exist

i should've said "best" not "most successful" because there are a lot of really devious companies that are "successful"

a lot of companies make a lot of money by exploiting people, making devious backroom decisions, and just generally cheating and lying. But I don't really consider that a success. making money is the easy part man...

and the value of a company's stock CAN be an indicator of success...but stocks can just as easily be absolutely no indicator of a company's fortitude

remember the internet bubble? subprime mortgage bubble? this idea is the whole reason that the term "bubble" exists actually...

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:06 pm 
foonat

yeah that's all nice and cute but in the end every company exists to make money

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:09 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
yeah that's all nice and cute but in the end every company exists to make money

you are so, so wrong.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:11 pm 
foonat

you should dig a hole in the ground and stick your head in it

edit: i don't really know how you're arguing this when corporate management's objective, in any corporation, is maximizing stockholder wealth i.e. making money

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:16 pm 
Fast Luck

I could see some idealistic developers making quality their #1 priority but in general everyone just wants money

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:32 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

meh the point i was trying to make is blizz sold out, and im sure they are maximizing stockholder wealth i.e making money but they seem less innovative of a company now, and more like The Man. The Man has a lot of money i guess, but he sucks :/

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:36 pm 
BanMe

quote:

Games do have to be justified, from a financial standpoint, in order to have the millions of dollars it takes to develop invested into them.

I still REALLY want chat rooms, but I realize that I am still part of a minority and that it is ignorant to believe that only my cares matter. I could wine all day, but in the end I'm still lucky Blizzard is around and lucky they are making the sick game of SC2 they are making.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:46 pm