FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

SC2 Leagues are flawed.

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sypher

SC2 Leagues are flawed.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=25026574005&sid=5000

Post I made. Clearly I am correct. Please post in support of my views and to bring awareness to the dev team.

KHB, your assistance in this would be greatly appreciated! Smile

Post Sun May 23, 2010 12:57 am 
~Dakine..HeX

i think im going to just move to HoN

bnet 2.0, and the asinine league system where you never play anyone in your division and you never know if you are good or new (since everyone I play seems to be new), basically ruined sc2

fuck blizzard, they have forsaken us

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:32 am 
turtleman@can

You played 5 placement matches right after a reset with huge game-crashing bugs and then got placed in the ballpark of where you should have been. Your opponent probably just got a few disc wins. There is no doubt going to be 10 placement matches once the game is released, and if not , people won't be crashing out of games and giving newbies free wins.

I like the idea of having the top league unattainable through placement matches. I think I had the most fun laddering when I was placed in silver and had to move my way up. Anyway having played around 200 ladder games I can say that it was very rare that I was in a lopsided fight so I don't really see any major problems with the way the system has been running.

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 am 
~Dakine..HeX

waiting for the launch for things to be less terribly awkward and desolate is getting grimmer and grimmer by the minute.

i mean they basically have to fix all these bugs as a first priority, and then somehow magically make BNET 2.0 not completely terrible in the span of 2 months?

they are appealing to people who want achievements and facebook integration, and disregarding people who want to foster a real competitive atmosphere.

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:51 am 
7VlesSiah

you can't even comment on the post patch 13 placements. Seiously, everyone was experiencing so much lag that even if you won the game legit(you for some reason didn't reach the final seconds of lag screen) you couldn't count it as a real win. Lag is horrible. My first game was total lag and was unplayable. 2nd game I won with more lag. 3rd game I lagged out. 4th game I'm not about to play until this shit is fixed.

Post patch 13 is a joke.

Post Sun May 23, 2010 2:56 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
Anyway having played around 200 ladder games I can say that it was very rare that I was in a lopsided fight so I don't really see any major problems with the way the system has been running.

yeah actually this is pretty much my point of view. i don't really care that much about what icon i have next to my name as long as i'm getting matched against the right people, and except for a few outliers the matchmaking system has been doing a good job of that, which is pretty good considering they're prioritizing speed over accuracy in the beta and there's a limited player base

i doubt there will be 5 placements at retail, and even if they are, you eventually end up where you belong. if you're a pro and you disc 3 games and end up in silver you'll eventually end up in diamond, if you're a scrub who beats 5 other scrubbier people you'll eventually get knocked back down to silver

like other people have said i'm more worried about all the technical issues right now. hope the lag isnt so bad that it kills the hdh finals today Sad
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun May 23, 2010 8:53 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
like other people have said i'm more worried about all the technical issues right now. hope the lag isnt so bad that it kills the hdh finals today Sad

hahahahaha, like immediately after i posted that i started watching the europe vs asia games going on and the game completely freezes like 2 minutes after i start the stream
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sun May 23, 2010 9:05 am 
Scrubbolator

some guy on teamliquid tanked his placement matches 0-5 last reset to be put in copper. as i recall it took him about 40 games to get put into platinum. i think the system works fairly well at putting people in the correct leagues.

i dislike the system as a whole though

Post Sun May 23, 2010 9:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

It's pretty clear that diamond is just the old platinum

So platinums not that great anymore but still sounds pretty good, and now gold is a pretty bad division but gold is first place in the olympics and a precious metal and so on. Silver and bronze are the dregs.

Obviously the titles are all inflated. Sypher do you think they should rename bronze to shit and silver to dirt or something like that so on and up to the top to make it more accurate, let the shit players know they're shit

Post Tue May 25, 2010 11:58 am 
7VlesSiah

The names before were just stupid. I don't know why everyone is arguing over a good name change. Maybe you guys think they should have split the gold league into 10 karat and 24 karat. Makes as much sense as splitting the bottom league to bronze and copper.

Post Tue May 25, 2010 12:38 pm 
kublikhan

Also, check out this post to blizzard about their ladder:
starcraftrankings

And the threads about in in the TLO and battle net forums:
teamliquid

Battle.Net

Post Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm 
kublikhan

Is blizzard going to permanently remove the ability to see another player's profile? I used to be able to check this in my match history but now it seems disabled. What kind of crap is this? How am I supposed to know the rank of the person I just played?

Post Thu May 27, 2010 4:11 pm 
Scrubbolator

they fuck that up every patch. i think you can view them in your history as long as you haven't logged out since the match. if you've logged out then you have to friend add to check it.

you also can't view the profiles of your offline realID friends but it works with the normal ones

Post Thu May 27, 2010 4:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

Ok, I see the problem now. I'm ranked 4 diamond yet I suck. The ceiling is too low. Once you get decent there is no where else to go.

Post Fri May 28, 2010 4:29 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
Ok, I see the problem now. I'm ranked 4 diamond yet I suck. The ceiling is too low. Once you get decent there is no where else to go.

thats basically why I don't play anymore. because im terrible and was beating platinum people easily

Post Fri May 28, 2010 5:36 pm 
foonat

yeah i wouldn't say i'm good by any means, i'm just fast due to playing war2 and have a general macro sense and i was able to get to 2 in my diamond league, i don't even know what half of the zerg units do. i've been playing some protoss lately and i want to play zerg in the next phase of beta possibly so i have a good idea of what's what before release

Post Fri May 28, 2010 6:29 pm 
Aerasal

you guys realize that almost no one is playing 1v1 ladder cuz of constant resets lagging and crashes, right?

Post Sat May 29, 2010 7:40 am 
foonat

i've only crashed once and have experienced no lag, so no

Post Sat May 29, 2010 7:59 am 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
you guys realize that almost no one is playing 1v1 ladder cuz of constant resets lagging and crashes, right?

i havent played any games on this patch, all my comments refer to patch 12 and prior

Post Sat May 29, 2010 9:02 am 
Aerasal

my point is ladder has a fraction of the players it did before the latest patch so its way easier to be ranked 1-10 diamond. i guarantee all of you guys complaining about the league system wouldn't have been 1-10 plat before the last reset.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 9:03 am 
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
quote:

i havent played any games on this patch, all my comments refer to patch 12 and prior

if you played more than 10 games you wouldn't be easily beating everyone Rolling Eyes

Post Sat May 29, 2010 9:06 am 
7VlesSiah

quote:

That doesn't address the problem. The problem will always be that the top 10% of players will have shit all to shoot for. It kills competitive play and sucks the fun out of the game.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 9:11 am 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
quote:

if you played more than 10 games you wouldn't be easily beating everyone Rolling Eyes

maybe, but when I look at the people's records who i do play and they are like 80-60 and at the top of some platinum (diamond) division, and they are a complete retard --where is the motivation? I'd rather play games with my little brother than mass 1v1s vs retards to be at the top of some pointless ladder division populated primarly by bads.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 9:19 am 
foonat

i was top 10 plat before the last reset, and i was #2 diamond this time around before i started dicking around with zerg/toss. i think the ladder system is bad in that it's too much like war3, where volume of games played = rank, like in the example dakine gave. but, i think the ladder is for the most part pretty competitive at higher ranks. also, it's hard for me (or anyone) to comment on whether or not less good people play than used to, since we've gotten better over time

Post Sat May 29, 2010 10:16 am 
Scrubbolator

quote:
my point is ladder has a fraction of the players it did before the latest patch so its way easier to be ranked 1-10 diamond. i guarantee all of you guys complaining about the league system wouldn't have been 1-10 plat before the last reset.

i've been #1 in plat/diamond every reset in both 1v1 and 2v2.
the system blows. i'd like to know my server wide rank

though i will admit when you get a very good internal rating, with a high rating and good win/loss ratio you do only play very good players as well. but the rankings are just ridiculous

Post Sat May 29, 2010 10:47 am 
7VlesSiah

It is majorly flawed when you are ranked #1 but still don't know where you stand in the big scheme of things. It is irrelevant if the current leagues are watered down. It is not even worth mentioning as the same problem will exist. There is no gauge for better players to see how good they are in the big picture. They have no goals. No more leagues to climb.

Aerasal, if you want to argue for the current system, give a good argument.

Post Sat May 29, 2010 11:49 am 
Beau

One of the dumbest parts of the league is that your rank in your league is irrelevant. It only becomes partially meaningful once you're in diamond. But then the rating system really only shows who plays the most. As long as you win around half of your games your rating will rise.

This last reset I lost most of my games on purpose so I could climb the ladder. I realized the ranking was pointless when you can get promoted while having a low rank and rating in your division. It's completely meaningless in all the lower divisions.

Post Mon May 31, 2010 8:06 am