FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Patch 13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
7VlesSiah

Terran have strong early attacks with units that tear down toss defenses. Collosi can deal with it but they take a while to get. I want to tech to templars but that tech tree is very expensive and time consuming. There is a huge window of attack here before toss can reap any rewards from the tech investment. EMP is brutal and super easy to get. Teching to templars I was having mild success by using the cheaper voids in place of collosi. The defense is fragile though.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:25 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
Overseer contaminate could be basically amazing. You get enough overseers and you can completely shutdown production. Almost seems like it could be borderline broken if used by a pro.

uh, what? how often did that happen when corruptors had the same ability and cost less gas? Rolling Eyes

Because overseers move fast as shit and come way earlier than corruptors, early enough that AA defense may not be in place and then your army production is fucked. 30 seconds with no production can cost you a game easy. Imagine 1 or 2 minutes. You're done for then. It would be worth it for them to suicide overseers to stop your production.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

i think you have no choice but to outmacro a terran in PvT, timing pushes are generally useless against a terran on 1 walled in base
timing pushes though, can be great against a terran that takes a fast expo. but terran is becoming the 1 base power race for sure

the other reason people havent mentioned that make terran difficult to beat as protoss is that you have to be wary of reaper harass every single game , because ur scout is going to see a tech lab going up pretty much every single game, whether hes going maruader or reaper you may not always be able to scout and if you dont have a stalker at least in production when the reaper comes, you lose.

i've been tinkering with turtle strat sitting on main+natural into carrier/mama against terran, since i dont have a ton of faith in the gateway units (exception being high temps in a ghost-free game) in PvT.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:39 pm 
Scrubbolator

the notion that you have to have colossi or ht's to defend before expanding is simply wrong and is probably why you're having trouble with the matchup

i was having this problem when i first started playing but with a little more experience i just make it happen

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

collosus are mad overrated, especially in PvT, because of vikings and stim allows their MMM ball to run away better (or run in range of the collosus to take it down)

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:46 pm 
Scrubbolator

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
collosus are mad overrated, especially in PvT, because of vikings and stim allows their MMM ball to run away better (or run in range of the collosus to take it down)

that's where micro comes in. vikings are the only big problem here and if he has a lot of vikings then ht's are better. i've been using colossi in pvt with great success

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
WarMaN_WH

patch is now downloading for me

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Scrubbolator
quote:

that's where micro comes in. vikings are the only big problem here and if he has a lot of vikings then ht's are better. i've been using colossi in pvt with great success

im pretty strong with my micro (thx dota and war3) but not every map has a lot of cliffs to abuse, and not every fight is going to be around some abusable cliffs.

terran probably is not "overpowered", but its so incredibly easy to play a really solid and hard to beat playstyle.

Zerg macro is very time/apm consuming, and protoss is a much more micro heavy race.

like, zerg *HAS* to keep up with macro to have any chance, and protoss *HAS* to micro intensively every single battle to win. Terran requires much less macro skill than zerg, and much less micro skill than toss it seems

that said, my games played have been about 60% P, 35% Z and 5% T, so i am definitely biased

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:59 pm 
Scrubbolator

you don't need cliffs, you have range 9 vs marauders range 6. if they try to target the colossi you pull back and all your units hit theirs while they're moving. plus you can move shoot with colossi while moving back as well

not to mention you should have a few sentries for forcefields

with all this your colossi will not get hit by infantry in large battles

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:02 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
you don't need cliffs, you have range 9 vs marauders range 6. if they try to target the colossi you pull back and all your units hit theirs while they're moving. plus you can move shoot with colossi while moving back as well

not to mention you should have a few sentries for forcefields

with all this your colossi will not get hit by infantry in large battles

so you need collosi with the range upgrade and some sentries to beat someone who goes "4dddddd" and in battles goes "t" ?

this is what im saying, its not impossible to beat by any means, but you have to be significantly better than your opponent

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:07 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah if bioball is killing your colossus on a regular basis work on your micro for real

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:11 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

generally toss i think is supposed to be the most micro-heavy race so i don't have a problem with that in and of itself. however terran is way too easy to just attack move and win with and blizzard keeps making it easier to win by just spamming "t"

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:12 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

i dont really make robotics units vs terran, i mostly stick to blink micro and psi storm

and maybe some various warp/drops

and i turtle on 2 bases and make carriers sometimes

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:15 pm 
Scrubbolator

d/l'ed the patch but b.net is still down it seems

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:15 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i usually prefer templar too but robotics can be good as well

carriers are bad idea dont do it

quote:

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:16 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

carriers have a nice inflection point though, 1-4 carriers aren't really that good, but somewhere in the 5-7 carrier range they get bananas.

its kind of a cheesy all-in move though to carrier rush, but meh im not above that

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:18 pm 
Scrubbolator

man i can't even remember the last time i made a carrier. something to note about them though if you like using them is that you no longer have to make interceptors manually like in sc1. you can right click the icon to set it to autocast

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:27 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

you should try carriers against marauder heavy builds, its pretty good. of course you have to hide the fleet beacon (and the stargates too). and the carrier upgrade is also very good (I would say it is as necessary as the thermal lance upgrade)

somewhere in between 5-7 carriers really, they go bananas and pop things instantly, especially marauders/marines

gotta hide that shit though, and also have to harass to keep them off the scent. blink harass is what I usually do, since blink is broken as fuck best skill in the game for sure.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:33 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
man i can't even remember the last time i made a carrier. something to note about them though if you like using them is that you no longer have to make interceptors manually like in sc1. you can right click the icon to set it to autocast

i never played sc1, and am pretty good. I appreciate the tips, but dont need the condescending tips thx~

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 pm 
7VlesSiah

You got to love the condescending tips. The meta game isn't anywhere near being understood. Yet there is no lack Swift comments(I am better therefore any idiotic thing I say is true).

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:52 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

what was so condescending about that? he just said he's never made carriers and you can auto build interceptors, which a lot of people probably don't know because no one builds carriers because they suck

quote:

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:54 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
what was so condescending about that? he just said he's never made carriers and you can auto build interceptors, which a lot of people probably don't know because no one builds carriers because they suck

coming from scrubbo, probably it was not condescending at all and I was just oversensitive.

but the "carriers sux never make them" is just silliness, game hasnt been out long enough to say something like that

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:13 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

*shrug* i'm just saying they don't seem effective from everything i've seen

quote:

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:16 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

the upgrade is crucial, and the critical mass inflection point is crucial. and hiding them for as long as you can is crucial.

get the upgrade and get like 6 carriers (along with a smattering of warpgate units) and move out, devastation ensues

also the fleet beacon has the bomb upgrades for void rays/obs/warp priz

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

obs and warp gate upgrades are robo bay

i mean i agree at 6-7 carriers you're going to rape, it just seems like if you can successfully make 6-7 carriers you've already won the game through macro anyway

quote:

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:22 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
obs and warp gate upgrades are robo bay

whoops, and by warp gate of course u mean warp priz

and to your other point, which has a lot of truth, i would counter by saying that 6 carriers is much more GG than 6 battle cruisers or 6 broodlords or 6 ultralisks or 6 whatever

Last edited by ~Dakine..HeX on Fri May 21, 2010 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
7VlesSiah

It is not clear to me that carriers suck or that no strategy involving them could work.
carriers can take a lot of damage and naturally fit in with a mother ship.

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

the best thing about carriers is that the micro is really easy, you have only a handful of them, and they can fly (though very slowly) so when one gets focused down you just tell him to run away a little bit. They have enough HP/shield that flying a little back is usually pretty effective, especially since you still have the interceptors from that guy (and the other carriers) raping faces

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:28 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:

and to your other point, which has a lot of truth, i would counter by saying that 6 carriers is much more GG than 6 battle cruisers or 6 broodlords or 6 ultralisks or 6 whatever

yeah i meant warp prism

and for the record the only time someone made carriers against me in a plat level game (and he had a lot) i beat them with blink stalkers, since the time he was turtling carriers i took the whole map. and i'd much rather than 6 broodlords than 6 carriers, brood lords are the most gg unit in the game imo

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:32 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
quote:

yeah i meant warp prism

and for the record the only time someone made carriers against me in a plat level game (and he had a lot) i beat them with blink stalkers, since the time he was turtling carriers i took the whole map. and i'd much rather than 6 broodlords than 6 carriers, brood lords are the most gg unit in the game imo

welp we were talking about PvT, a matchup that i do not prefer warpgate units. and terrans rarely are going to "take the whole map" when you turtle against them.

the other matchups are different entirely, most games PvP and PvT I just do big warpgate builds with some other units thrown in strictly to be harassing forces

blink is the best skill in the game, blink stalkers are what I tech to first in like 65% of my games, even if I branch off from there and do something else later, blink is broken as fuck i love it

Post Fri May 21, 2010 5:40 pm