FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Rankings?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Scrub

Rankings?

Just curious who are the top dogs on SC2 that frequent this forum.

I'm guessing KHB and Scrubbo?

Post Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i dunno how much khb plays anymore. luoson is top 10 plat and beat idra so he gets my vote

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 12:50 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

im platinum for 1v1s, record of 8-1, but i mostly play custom games with my brother and irl local friends.

i can compete with good players, but I don't reckon I am that good. Getting better though, and after I get back from vacation there is a 1v1 tournament at a lan center here that I am going to play in. So I will probably mass up a bunch of 1v1s for practice, and then i will also have some idea whether i am a good player or just a meh player.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:18 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i'm mid 20's plat for the record, i like to think i'm competent but i wouldn't call myself really good or anything

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:21 pm 
Fast Luck

i dont know scrubbos account but i bet he's ranked pretty high

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:24 pm 
BanMe

wow nice i just downloaded the mac only 12.1 patch and now I can't connect to battle.net because of invalid version.

#4 plat 1v1 and #1 plat 2v2

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:27 pm 
Scrubbolator

yea ash i'm getting that too

wanna ally if it works soon?

i'm 42-22 1729 in 1on1 as random this reset

rank 2 but ranks themselves are pretty irrelevant and i really dislike the division system

Last edited by Scrubbolator on Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
7VlesSiah

They were talking about another server reset. I also cannot connect for the same reason only I have a PC. My guess is they released a new patch but the server hasn't caught up yet.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:30 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Scrubbolator

rank 2 but ranks themselves are pretty irrelevant and i really dislike the divions system

i also feel like the rank is not a great indicator of skill. In my division, for example, Day9 is top 5ish and has a good record of like 30-6 last time I looked--then there are other dudes in there like 80-65 with similar ratings. I know Day9 is good, but I really doubt that a lot of the higher guys in my division are actually good, more likely they are competent like me and play a shit ton of 1v1s, unlike me.

or maybe thats me rationalizing my lack of motivation to play 1v1

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:36 pm 
Scrubbolator

bnet is up

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Scrubbolator

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
quote:

rank 2 but ranks themselves are pretty irrelevant and i really dislike the divions system

i also feel like the rank is not a great indicator of skill. In my division, for example, Day9 is top 5ish and has a good record of like 30-6 last time I looked--then there are other dudes in there like 80-65 with similar ratings. I know Day9 is good, but I really doubt that a lot of the higher guys in my division are actually good, more likely they are competent like me and play a shit ton of 1v1s, unlike me.

or maybe thats me rationalizing my lack of motivation to play 1v1

it's partly that and also partly the fact that there are just sooo many divisions. you could be rank 10 in a division and be like rank 1000 overall. blizzard wants to keep people happy by making them think they're better than they are

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:47 pm 
TheSituation

Won't people like day9 be in the Pro Division when it comes out while those 80-60 guys will remain in plat .

Post Mon May 17, 2010 1:58 pm 
kublikhan

quote:
it's partly that and also partly the fact that there are just sooo many divisions. you could be rank 10 in a division and be like rank 1000 overall. blizzard wants to keep people happy by making them think they're better than they are

I don't like how they did the ladder in SC2. The different leagues is fine, but the divisions is crap. I want to see how good everyone really ranks, not some stupid feel good crap blizzard put in to appease casual players.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 2:35 pm 
Sypher

im 30something platinum.. haven't been laddering much lately.

I am probably one of the better war2 players. Ya'll are a bunch of noobs.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 pm 
BanMe

If they make a pro ladder that has no divisions that would suffice for me. Why relegate thousands of players to ranks of thousands they can't connect to or feel any pride for? The only people that should *really* care are the top people anyway, and if they do the pro ladder like that imo it takes care of it all. If you're not good enough for pro league, you're not good enough for an individual rank.

I think it's pretty brilliant, partly perhaps because I had similar ideas for our game earlier on in development Smile Hopefully they tie it in with communities and chat rooms more though, the system really lends itself to that.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 2:47 pm 
7VlesSiah

It is actually a brilliant system. The number one complaint you see see about RTS games is that you join a server online to play and you just get pwned. That unless you spend 100s of hours playing you will just get wrecked. The system now gives every player something they can work towards and see immediate improvement. I actually find it fun moving through the bronze, silver, gold. It would not be fun if it were just these categories though. So like you want to move up to silver so you eventually break that insignificant 100 rank on the bronze ladder, then they move up to silver. Real sense of accomplishment there.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 3:09 pm 
kublikhan

As I said, I like the leagues(Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc) for the same reasons you stated. Don't match platinum players with bronze and seeing them get owned, seeing your skill improve and advance to the next league, etc.

But divisions accomplish none of the above. As I understand it, their only purpose is something to the effect of:
"Say there are 200,000 Bronze league players. If a bronze league player sees that he is ranked dead last at 200,000, it is disheartening. So instead of having one giant bronze league, let's break in up into a thousand divisions of 200 players each. There is no moving to another division as you advance. No "climbing the division ladder" and feeling accomplishment with divisions. Divisions are lateral, not hierarchical. That way when a player sees he is ranked dead last at #200, he won't feel so bad. And when he wins a few games and jumps from 200 to 150, he gets an ego boost." I am saying looking at his rank of #200 or #150 is meaningless. We don't know how he actually compares to the other 200,000 bronze league players. I'd rather see a his real rank of #200,000 or #150,000.

From blizzard Q&A:

quote:
Originally posted by article
Q. How does a player move laterally from one division to an adjacent division in the same metallic league? (For Example, From Division 5 Silver League to Division 4 Silver League.)

A. In theory, they shouldn’t. There have been some select cases where this has happened, but this is a known issue in the current beta build and is being looked into.
Starcraft 2 Ladder Explained

Post Mon May 17, 2010 3:34 pm 
7VlesSiah

That is what people want. They dont' want to log on and see they are ranked #1000 of 3000 people. They don't want to get lost in the swarm of random people that is bnet. Like I said before, moving from one metal to another wouldn't mean much if you are on a large scale.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 pm 
Scrubbolator

i can understand perfectly why they made it like that and i still hate it personally

i would be happy with just being to see my overall ranking though even if i have to go through a website or something

the pro league is going to be pretty small and invite only i believe

Post Mon May 17, 2010 3:50 pm 
kublikhan

quote:
Originally posted by 7VlesSiah
That is what people want. They dont' want to log on and see they are ranked #1000 of 3000 people. They don't want to get lost in the swarm of random people that is bnet. Like I said before, moving from one metal to another wouldn't mean much if you are on a large scale.
And yet they still get lost in the swarm anyway. Good luck playing a match with anyone in your division. It's like winning the lottery. Where is the close community we had in war2?

quote:
i would be happy with just being to see my overall ranking though even if i have to go through a website or something
That's a good compromise. I too would be happy if I could find my real rank somewhere, even if it was hidden behind 5 sub menus or in tiny text and they continued to trumpet my division rank prominently.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 3:56 pm 
Aerasal

quote:
im platinum for 1v1s, record of 8-1

why would you bother to say this

Post Mon May 17, 2010 4:44 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
quote:
im platinum for 1v1s, record of 8-1

why would you bother to say this

because the thread is asking for rankings and 8-1 means more than "rank 50" or something, not that record means anything until like 1500+ rating though

Post Mon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm 
7VlesSiah

Number 2 in my gold league. I figure I'm about a 40-50 platinum atleast.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 4:52 pm 
foonat

im 3 in my gold league

Post Mon May 17, 2010 5:00 pm 
kublikhan

quote:
I suppose there is always starcraftrankings.com

Check out the #28 best sc2 player in the world. Win ratio of 9%. Somehow I think this ranking may be less than accurate.

28 8 Terran OneSmile.onesmile 2027 24 218 9.92%

Post Mon May 17, 2010 5:03 pm 
kublikhan

Oops. Missed number 6. An even more impressive 6% win ratio:
6 3 Terran nhqne.pharmer 2195 14 207 6.33%

Post Mon May 17, 2010 5:05 pm 
KingHillBilly

Day9 is bad.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by KingHillBilly
Day9 is bad.

i dont really think day9 is "good" compared to actually good players (huk, slush, etc), but I think day9 is superior to your run of the mill platinum newbies, is what i was saying.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
KingHillBilly

I definitely #1 as far as youtube video hits goes. SNAP

Ash and scrubbo are both very good, luoson I haven't played.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
KingHillBilly

Yeah rankings by "platinum" don't mean much.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:06 pm