FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

Rankings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
hassan-i-sabbah

day9 is a really good general rts player but he hasn't played sc2 enough to be competitive. he's been raped in every tourney he's played

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Mon May 17, 2010 7:08 pm 
foonat

so i got to #1 in my gold league and haven't been promoted yet, anyone know how long it takes? the forum faq is pretty vague

Post Mon May 17, 2010 10:38 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

no one really knows :\ best thing you can do is keep playing and beating people in plat and hope you actually get promoted

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 7:17 am 
kublikhan

That's the other thing I hate about the ladder. They keep the promotion mechanisms secret :/

They say it's not tied solely to wins/losses. You can loss a game and still get promoted or win a game and still get demoted. The other factors involved may involve average APM, average amount of unspent resources, etc.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am 
foonat

yeah i got promoted to gold when i hit like rank 7 in silver, and i started at like 15 in gold

Post Tue May 18, 2010 9:29 am 
TheSituation

add me comeatmebro.misc

whats your rating? im only 1380 and ranked 1

Post Tue May 18, 2010 9:32 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

i highly doubt average APM or average unspent resources is a criteria, that'd be really retarded. people would get penalized when they have to hunt down some retard terran's floating buildings and people would get boosted for spamming mindless bullshit even if they have a 30% win percentage in bronze

quote:

Post Tue May 18, 2010 9:33 am 
foonat

my rating is 1428. i think there's more of a "cooldown" involved between division jumps than different promotion criteria

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 am 
TheSituation

when you jump leagues do you keep your rating or reset to 1000.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:05 am 
Scrubbolator

you lose like 200 points or something

you get matched with people from a higher league when you're doing well in your own and if you do well vs them too you get moved up pretty quickly

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
kublikhan

Yeah I think you are right it is not about APM, unspent minerals, etc. I think that observation about losing a game and then getting promoted was because of the fact the your hidden MMR rating might not be calculated with your most recent game and that it is calculated relative to everyone else. I did some more digging and found this post. The full post goes into more detail but here is a snippet:

quote:
Originally posted by Excalibur_Z
The prevailing theory behind the matchmaking system is that each player is assigned a hidden "matchmaking rating", or MMR. This is the sole factor in determining everything within the system. MMR determines who your opponents are, as well as whether you are promoted or demoted. MMR is only affected by the end result of a match, not the means used to achieve those results. In-game details such as APM, unit composition, and tech path of either player are irrelevant.

The longer your win streak, the more your MMR increases until you are playing people that cause you to win 50% of the time. Once you start losing more games than you're winning at a certain level, your MMR starts falling until it can comfortably seat you. As you get closer to a 50% win rate, your volatility drops and therefore your MMR doesn't rise and fall as dramatically as it did at first.

The system periodically re-evaluates your placement every X games. X varies and nobody knows because Blizzard is explicitly not telling us. These are called "review checkpoints" and it is important to remember that the result of the promotion or demotion reflects your persistent MMR relative to other players, and may not be consistent with the result of your most recent game. If your eligibility for promotion remains unchanged at the time of checkpoint, you will be promoted.

quote:
Originally posted by ZapRoffo
Some more information:
With a matchmaking rating system, the way points are assigned is as follows. There is a default point assignment (was +/-12 for wow, seems similar in sc2) for an "equal match result". The amount won or lost in any given match, though, is determined by comparing your displayed rating to your opponent's matchmaking rating. This is why many people are experiencing huge gains for wins and small losses. It's because they haven't played enough to raise their displayed rating to their matchmaking rating. They may be matched as an 1800 matchmaking rating, but are at 1300, so if they win against an equal opponent (1800 matchmaking), they get the points of a 1300 beating an 1800, which may be +20 or something. The opponent compares his displayed rating to your matchmaking rating to calculate his point change, if he's displayed 1600 and you are also 1800 matchmaking, he will lose -10 or so (slightly less than -12 default).

One huge misconception people I feel like people need to learn the truth about:

The bonus pool WILL NOT cause inflation of ratings in the long run as long as it only modifies your displayed rating and not your matchmaking rating, which appears to be the case. In the long run, displayed ratings converge to matchmaking rating, so if matchmaking rating is unaffected there is no long term effect.

An example:
I start with a big bonus pool and win up to 1600, and my matchmaking rating is 1700. Alice wins the same amount against similar quality opponents but with no bonus pool and goes to only 1350 or so, but also with 1700 matchmaking rating, because matchmaking is totally unaffected. Now in my games I will only be looking at winning +13 or so from my opponents who are 1700 matchmaking, while Alice is looking at something like +16 or +17 from her 1700 matchmaking opponents. I'm looking at -10 or -11 from losses, while she's looking at -8 or so from those same people. Eventually the result over a long enough period is we both end up at 1700 if no change in skill happens.
Even if I got enough of a bonus pool to get to 1900 or something, once that runs out I'm going to lose more for losses than I get for wins against people who are my skill level until I get to the appropriate level. The bonus pool just functions to get people's displayed rating jump started so if they took a break they can jump to their rating more quickly.
SC2 Ladder Analysis: What YOU Need to Know

According to these posts, you could have a displayed rating of 1300, but a hidden MMR rating of 1800. That would explain why so many supposedly low rating people are playing much higher rated opponents. Eventually, as you play more games, these 2 ratings should converge. The system appears to be setup to try and get people to 50% win rates, playing opponents they lose about half of the time to.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:49 am 
Sypher

im like 1300 rating plat and get matched vs 1600+ plat players and am matched being even/they are slightly favored.

There is def a hidden rating.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 1:03 pm 
foonat

yeah like WoW arena

Post Tue May 18, 2010 1:17 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
im like 1300 rating plat and get matched vs 1600+ plat players and am matched being even/they are slightly favored.

There is def a hidden rating.

the even/favored system is completely bugged and meaningless

Post Tue May 18, 2010 1:31 pm 
kublikhan

This hidden MMR rating system does not seem like it would be an ego boost for the casual player. Take Sypher's example. His display rating is around 1300, while his MMR is perhaps around 1600. Would it not make sense to display to Sypher his real 1600 rating:
"Hey, we think your skill level is around 1600. We are giving you 1600 opponents because we know you can compete at their level."

Instead of saying: "you suck newb, your rating is only 1300. but secretly we are giving you tough opponents just to mess with you, NEWB!"

I don't think this secrecy is needed.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 2:13 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

presumably the reason for hiding the criteria behind promotions and matching is to keep people from trying to game the system

quote:

Post Tue May 18, 2010 2:14 pm 
7VlesSiah

Ganz proofing bnet.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm 
foonat

well, i'm 37-20 1500 rating still #1 gold wtf

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:29 pm 
TheSituation

youre probably beating golds and losing to plats noob

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 pm 
foonat

well when the opponent is "Favored" does that mean they are in a higher division? because i beat most of those. also my record is a bit misleading, since i sucked ass when i first picked the game back up in silver league, then i watched replays and have gotten much better...i'm probably like 23-7 in my last 30 games

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:34 pm 
TheSituation

play me ill own u

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:38 pm 
Aerasal

its weird how you can move up a division and already be high ranked in that division. foonat you could keep playing in gold and then one day get promoted to plat and be like rank 20.

Post Tue May 18, 2010 10:42 pm 
x-DW-x)BuRnt(

SC2 is a horrible game and anyone who plays it will be back on warcraft 2. You only play it because you are tired of the beatings todays warcraft 2 players give you when you jump on the game.

war2 4 life

come get some and prove you have any real skill.

http://www.facebook.com/burnt.dw
http://www.youtube.com/war2combat
http://www.server.war2.ru

Post Wed May 19, 2010 2:45 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

go away

quote:

Post Wed May 19, 2010 6:42 am 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
its weird how you can move up a division and already be high ranked in that division. foonat you could keep playing in gold and then one day get promoted to plat and be like rank 20.
ya when i went from silver to gold i was ranked like 15 in gold right off the bat

Post Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am 
foonat

rofl promoted me to plat #9

Post Wed May 19, 2010 7:06 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

whenever your promoted your always dumped into top 20

ranks mean shit. rating once in plat is a better gauge

Post Wed May 19, 2010 7:18 pm 
foonat

are ratings comparable across divisions? like if you're 1800 and i'm 1900, would i be considered "better"

Post Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i believe so

quote:

Post Wed May 19, 2010 7:53 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

not really because if u got say 1800 rating in gold then got premoted to plat urd be back to 1000, so r u better then someone in plat because they only made it to 1400 rating so far?

btw good job gettin into plat that fast foonat

Post Wed May 19, 2010 10:05 pm