FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

patch 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
turtleman@can

patch 9

General

The StarCraft II Editor is now available!
Players will now be able to begin creating trigger maps in preparation for map publishing which will be made available in an upcoming beta patch.
Achievements & Decals are now live!
Players will now be able to earn achievements, browse the list of available achievements, and view achievements earned by friends.
Players will be able to highlight favorite achievements in their Showcase.
Earning certain achievements will unlock portrait and decal rewards.
The updated Homepage now includes a Recent Broadcasts panel and a News & Community panel.
A new Match History page is now available which will allow players to browse and filter their last 1,000 games played.
A new Community page is now available which features an in-game version of RSS news feeds.
A new Friends-of-Friends feature has been added, which allows players to easily find and connect with more real life friends on Battle.net through existing friends.
Additional friends’ presence details are now available from the Friends’ list.
Improvements have been made on the Voice Chat system in game.
Please use the new voice chat and provide feedback via the StarCraft II beta forums.
The score screen now features a new graph tab.
The art for many parts of the user interface has been updated.
Hotkey templates have been added.
In the gameplay options menu select from standard name based hotkeys for right and left-handed players, grid based hotkeys for right, and left-handed players, and classic StarCraft keys.
Several hotkeys have been changed to avoid conflicts with the "Select All Warpgates" UI button:
The Set Worker Rally Point has been changed from W to R.
Build Sensor Tower has been changed from W to N.
Terran Infantry Weapons have been changed from W to E.
Terran Vehicle Weapons have been changed from W to E.
Weapon Refit has been changed from W to R.
Burrow has been changed from W to R.
Spawn Larva has been changed from R to V.
Neural Parasite has been changed from R to E.

Balance Changes

TERRAN
Marauder
Concussive Shells research cost decreased from 100/100 80 seconds to 50/50 60 seconds.

PROTOSS
Immortal
Build time increased from 40 to 55.

ZERG
Infested Terran
Damage increased from 5 to 8.
Speed decreased from 1.5 to 0.9375.
Queen
Speed off creep decreased from 1.5 to 0.938. (Speed on creep unchanged.)
Spine Crawler
Attack period decreased from 1.6 to 1.85.
Infestor
Neural Parasite range increased from 7 to 9.
Fungal Growth projectile removed; Units in the target area are now instantly hit.

Maps

We've made a change to the (2)ScrapStation map to make the natural expansion easier to defend.
New maps have been added to the ladder rotation while others have been removed as follows:
1v1
Added (2)IncinerationZone
2v2
Removed (4)LostTemple
Removed (4)Metalopolis
Added (4)AridWastes
Added (4)Coalition
Added (4)Decena
Added (4)ScorchedHaven
1v1(Novice)
Removed (4)NoviceKulasRavine
2v2(Novice)
Removed (4)NoviceKulasRavine
Removed (4)NoviceShakurasPlateau
Added (4)NoviceDecena
Added (4)NoviceScorchedHaven
Added (4)NoviceTwilightFortress

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm 
turtleman@can

damn this is a huge patch
finally get to play around with the map editor

I don't really like the queen nerf on speed. It's going to ruin my favorite zvz tactic

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

the marauder buff is so unbelievably retarded, i have no idea what they were thinking

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm 
turtleman@can

IDK but I know personally once they forced it as an upgrade I basically stopped using it until mid-late game anyway. They probably found a lot of others doing the same thing so they made it a bit less painful to get. I don't think they probably gave it enough time to simmer with people because I mean if you take something away from somebody they're probably going to adapt to playing the same way without it until they realize it's importance..

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:32 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

the problem with it is, at least from a toss player point of view, is that the slow coming by default so early made it so early marauders could totally wreck toss armies through endless kiting. stalkers already get raped by marauders without the upgrade, zealots should be the natural counter but they get kited so badly they're useless, and sentries cost too much gas to have a decent number that early

last patch fixed this but made terran really vulnerable to early immortal pushes from toss. so, in that respect i think the immortal nerf is not that big of a deal, it evens the playing field a little when it comes to that early immortal push. however, now that the conc grenades only cost as much gas as a reaper and take less time to research, marauders very well might be overpowered over early toss armies again, because the conc is going to come earlier and cheaper (especially now that the decreased cost lessens the stim vs. conc grenade tension of the early game) and the immortal is going to take longer to buiild, and early toss army without immortals has absolutely no counter to marauders with slow whatsoever

this is theorycraft since i haven't played it yet but i'm pretty concerned. the slow is a really fucking good ability, and its available at tier 1 for just 50/50. this already on a ranged unit with 125 (i think?) hit points and 10 damage (20 to armored). tier 1 toss units don't get any upgrades until the expensive ones at the twilight council (toss units are already pretty good admittedly) and speedlings, another really good tier 1 upgrade, costs 100/100. so why the hell is conc so cheap????

quote:
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:54 pm 
chaoslod

what retard? did u say something?

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:23 pm 
turtleman@can

well I haven't played much sc2 lately but I can see this moving the matchup closer to the bw version where protoss generally open with quick dragoon range and zealot speed along with robo bay strictly for observers which I don't really think is a bad idea since it makes the game more fun. IMO Immortals are newbie units that look cool and are powerful but I mean they're boring as hell to control. They're basically walking tanks with no special abilities.

I can see them being fun as a kind of focal point to micro your army around but I don't think toss should be stomping up the battlefield with 4 of them and a few other units 5 minutes into the game.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:28 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
well I haven't played much sc2 lately but I can see this moving the matchup closer to the bw version where protoss generally open with quick dragoon range and zealot speed along with robo bay strictly for observers which I don't really think is a bad idea since it makes the game more fun.

sc2 isn't brood war

there's no terran unit in bw comparable to the marauder

while you're spending 350 gas researching charge (research + council cost) (550 with observer in your version) you're going to get owned. thats enough gas for 20 marauders with slow upgrade

there are no dragoons in sc2, there are stalkers. stalkers don't get a range upgrade and they get completely slaughtered by marauders, who have the same range and do bonus damage against them

no offense bro but you don't really know what you're talking about

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:32 pm 
turtleman@can

well blink is basically the same thing as a range upgrade in this context. You get slowed and you blink right up in their face. Anyway I'm making the bw comparison just because I think the developers want to keep the same 'feel' of the races as in bw in the end product. If you're countering a straight up marauder rush you're probably going to get charge which might seem expensive on gas but considering mass zealots cost 0 gas while mass marauders cost tons of gas it evens out. I think you'll see blink as a counter to mech terran which isn't really an early game build right now.

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

that makes more sense but blink still isn't a great counter since blink takes actual micro and slowing marauders just takes a+right click

immortals are a good counter to marauders and they should stay that way, and in fact they will stay that way in the long run. its just the early game timing sounds like it might be fucked up now. in the timing window where early marauders with slow will fuck your shit up you're not going to be able to have blink or charge if you don't have enough immortals to deal with it either, both of those upgrades take longer to finish than an immortal

quote:

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 pm 
turtleman@can

next time you play terran try opening with charge/mass zealots and see what happens. I'm pretty sure that you'll have enough time to get charge with chrono boost before he's able to push out with conc shells and i'm pretty sure that your zealots will rape the shit out of his marauders

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i have a lot of games played, and i'm high gold and get matched regularly against mid and upper-mid level plat players, and i can tell you there's absolutely no way in hell

immortals are pretty vital to the pvt game, there's lots of games where my immortals will get out just barely in time to defend against his marauder push with the patch 8 conc shell cost and time. charge is good but it's not as good as a couple immortals and it takes longer

i'm not trying to be condescending but if this worked so well, good people would have been doing it in patch 8, when it would have been even better. did you see them doing this? no, they made immortals

quote:

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm 
turtleman@can

well I'm just guessing but it seems to make sense. I'm going to try it out of curiosity anyway although my patch is bugging out in an endless loop right now

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:07 pm 
Sypher

quote:
patch is bugging out in an endless loop right now

I am having same problem.

http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?topicId=24401903745&sid=5000

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:43 pm 
Aerasal

you guys still having this prob?

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:46 pm 
Kyr.Luoson

I had that problem, closed everything and retried and it worked

But bnet is down for maintence, just lookin at the map edtior atm

Disapointing balance patch though

Protoss alrdy have a probless with Maurders, esp when it gets to late game

I was hopin for a maybe +10 gas increase because there too cheap for there strength

Was hopin the phoneix wuld get a buff to counter mutas better as well

Forcefield needs to be increased mana to 65

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:15 pm 
Sypher

blizzard broke their game!

12 lings in 2:30? LAWLALWLWL

first placement match, i lose to what i thought was just a cheesy 6pool. i didnt scout and saw lings come in so i insta quit.

Game 5 placement match, it happened again. This time i realized that there were more htan 6 lings in my base.

How is ti done?

10 lord
10 pool
build drone. When new larva spawns, cancel drone
build 2x drone
when new larva spawns, cancel 2 drones
build 3 drones
when new larva spawns, cancel drones

when pool finishes, you will have 6 larva read to go.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:43 am 
turtleman@can

I wonder if that was an issue before the patch. It seems kind of funny that multiple people would discover this trick which basically involves doing something that hurts you to figure out an exploit within hours of the patch being released.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:07 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

lollll thats ridiculous

and no it wasn't in there before the patch, if it was people would have been doing it. there's some kind of bug (i'm assuming its a bug, because if its intentional then blizzard must be staffed by literal retarded babies. but then again they thought marauder needed to be buffed, so maybe they are this dumb) where if you start hatching from a larva and then cancel the egg, you don't lose the larva like you used to. so if you have 3 larva and hatch one into a drone and then cancel that drone hatch, instead of the larva going away and you having to wait for it to spawn again the larva is still there. once people figured out that you don't lose a larva from cancelling it was only a matter of time (like probably minutes) before someone figured out how this could be exploited

between this, the completely unnecessary and retarded marauder buff, and the fact that they fucked up the UI so you can't chronoboost/spawn larva by clicking on the portraits makes this a contender for worst patch ever despite all the interface improvements. w2g blizz

quote:

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:50 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

btw are you really switching to terran? lawl

quote:

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:32 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
blizzard broke their game!

12 lings in 2:30? LAWLALWLWL

first placement match, i lose to what i thought was just a cheesy 6pool. i didnt scout and saw lings come in so i insta quit.

Game 5 placement match, it happened again. This time i realized that there were more htan 6 lings in my base.

How is ti done?

10 lord
10 pool
build drone. When new larva spawns, cancel drone
build 2x drone
when new larva spawns, cancel 2 drones
build 3 drones
when new larva spawns, cancel drones

when pool finishes, you will have 6 larva read to go.

Yeah I'm just 2v2ing until they fix that. You can beat it apparently, but the problem is if you build to try and beat it, and they don't do it, then you're fucked.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:50 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

if you scout after first depot/pylon (which you should be doing anyway if you're any good) you can catch them doing it and you can wall up/get a cannon, and if you hold it off and they don't kill you they're totally fucked just like a 6 pool. its still really horribly broken though obviously

quote:

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 am 
Fast Luck

patch 9 sucks but im good at sc2

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:18 pm 
Aerasal

i play zerg and i hate the new spawn larva. it's difficult to tell how many non spawning larva i have now. I know you can cancel and change them but you generally don't unless you're getting attacked or something.

not being able to click hatchery icon is also a mega pain in the ass after playing ~100 games and getting so used to doing it. at least the terran and protoss macro mechanics don't have you going back to base (or mini map clicking also extremel tedious) every 40 secs the entire game regardless of everything. i already disliked the zerg macro mechanic because apart from a single creep tumor here or there you're basically spawning additional larva every 40 secs the entire game. at least the other races macro required some decision making.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:29 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

it kinda sucks for toss too since a lot of toss players will have a control group with nexuses and buildings and then chrono the building portraits so they don't have to go back to their base. but yeah, it definitely hurts zerg the most, they're way more reliant on spawn larva and the opportunity cost of missing a spawn is higher than missing a mule or a chrono

so basically its an indirect terran buff the race didn't need at all to go alongside the hilariously retarded marauder buff. i'm liking this "buff units that don't need it" policy, maybe next they'll make force field cost 25 mana and last twice as long or increase muta splash damage

quote:

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:33 pm 
turtleman@can

some ideas :
send your first zealot and attack his supply depot wallin until it's shield energy is gone. he will lose resources repairing and using up an svc that could be gathering. once you get a few stalkers up there u can try an early break. Terran are very vulnerable within the first few minutes of the game when they're marauder rushing.

If that doesn't work then send in sentries and cockblock his choke to stall his push or better yet cut half of his units out and rape the other half then go in for the kill. He'll probably give up getting out either way and wait for dropships. Make phoenix and pick them off. Terran don't make any anti air when they are marauder rushing.

If they're coming at you with marauders and you're worried just pull off 10 probes and use them as fodder in the fight.

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
some ideas :
send your first zealot and attack his supply depot wallin until it's shield energy is gone. he will lose resources repairing and using up an svc that could be gathering. once you get a few stalkers up there u can try an early break. Terran are very vulnerable within the first few minutes of the game when they're marauder rushing.

they're not really. stalkers build slow and are slow to get, by the time you have an appreciable number of stalkers he's going to have marauders

quote:
If that doesn't work then send in sentries and cockblock his choke to stall his push or better yet cut half of his units out and rape the other half then go in for the kill.

go in for the kill with what? kited zealots? stalkers?

quote:
He'll probably give up getting out either way and wait for dropships. Make phoenix and pick them off. Terran don't make any anti air when they are marauder rushing.

yes they do, and even if they didn't that money you just spent on a stargate and phoenixs is money you could have spent on ground units (like immortals) and now you're going to get even more raped by his marauders. even with immortals that now take 40% longer to build, immortal will deal damage to marauders way faster than a medivac would heal them and the robo facility is a much more useful building than a stargate

phoenix vs terran lol (actually, phoenix vs anything lol)

quote:
If they're coming at you with marauders and you're worried just pull off 10 probes and use them as fodder in the fight.

if you have to pull 10 workers off to help you in a fight then you're in pretty big trouble even if you win?

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:49 pm 
turtleman@can

you don't need an appreciable number of stalkers.. that's what you're missing here. You're attacking him early before he gets upgrades and before he has been able to produce an 'appreciable' number of marauders. you attack him with 1 zealot right at the start send another one as it completes by then u should be making a stalker and researching warp gate and getting another gateway then proxy him and keep him choked up in his base then u bust out sentries to keep him contained while u get phoenix.

You're mindset seems to be 'build a ball of units and attack'
what i'm getting at is terran are weak in the early game so you need to exploit it. If you don't then you're basically letting them exploit your race's weakness (mid game)

and no terran dont get air defense early in the game when they're marauder rushing because that completely eliminates the point of doing a rush. They get medivacs first not valkries and they dont make many marines which aren't going to help a few loaded up medivacs going in for a drop (which is the point of doing the early harass)

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:58 pm 
turtleman@can

if you have to pull 10 workers because as i said you are worried about losing the fight then i don't understand how u can't see a significance in that. You must be one of those players like jon that leaves as soon as they lose a unit.

edit: also the phoenix thing is just given one circumstance of many that might play out. if u have him cockblocked with sentries at his choke he has no choice but to dropship right? or he'll get siege tanks which takes forever but your main concern with marauders is that they rape you early correct?

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:00 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
you don't need an appreciable number of stalkers.. that's what you're missing here. You're attacking him early before he gets upgrades and before he has been able to produce an 'appreciable' number of marauders. you attack him with 1 zealot right at the start send another one as it completes by then u should be making a stalker and researching warp gate and getting another gateway then proxy him and keep him choked up in his base then u bust out sentries to keep him contained while u get phoenix.

you're forgetting that terrans almost always wall and pretty much always have marines behind that wall. those marines are going to shoot at you. yes you can run away and let shields recharge but you're losing more time investing in an early push that's not doing much but making him repair a little bit when you could be investing in tech that's actually useful against terran. as soon as he gets a marauder, even without upgrade (and again he's going to have slow fast with new patch) your stalkers are useless. almost as useless as phoenix, which i honestly can't believe someone is saying with a straight face is a viable unit against terran. seriously, if hes going marauders why in the world would you get phoenix instead of immortal?

this isn't even getting into the fact that with your strategy here, if he switches up with marauders and makes some reapers (which is easy to do since he already has a tech lab) your base is completely empty and you can say goodbye to your probes

quote:
You're mindset seems to be 'build a ball of units and attack'

no its "what's the best way to win" and phoenix is not the best way to do so against terran

quote:
and no terran dont get air defense early in the game when they're marauder rushing because that completely eliminates the point of doing a rush. They get medivacs first not valkries and they dont make many marines which aren't going to help a few loaded up medivacs going in for a drop (which is the point of doing the early harass)

terran pretty much always gets marines now vs toss even with marauders. even if they don't, if you have phoenix to snipe his medivacs (which as i already said, even without air defense phoenix is totally not worth it for this) they can switch to marines really quick. the problem isn't pure marauder rushes, its a mix with the marauders slowing down your early game army

if this strategy of yours is so good i'd honestly like to see a replay of it working

Post Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:11 pm