FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Starcraft II General Discussion

sc2 beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah you want charge but colossus is more essential, i'd take regular zealots with two colossi over charged zealots and some templars. if this is late-mid game that's different and that's usually when i'd use templars against a bioball, but if i'm pushing kind of early (around ~40-50 supply) vs a terran medic/marauder you're not going to be able to get templars with storm fast enough

i dont think a templar will completely decimate either, at least not more than a colossus. again if you're not in the late game and you're trying to push on him as soon as you have one or two templars your temps aren't going to have enough energy for more than two psi storms

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:06 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by ~Dakine..HeX
stalkers arent useless because they WILL have medivacs, you dont need to mass stalkers but you are going to need to take out those medivacs asap.

i guess it depends on what part of the game you're doing this in, if you go in with colossi kinda early hes not going to have enough medivacs to keep up. i guess after that you want some stalkers but i've never needed them that badly when i have 2 colossi in the early-mid game (again around 40-50 supply). marines have 45 hp, two colossus attacks and you have a huge pile of dead marines, throw a medivac in and it might take like 3?
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:10 am 
~Dakine..HeX

i dont think having 2 colossi at 40-45 units is usually feasible against someone that knows what they are doing (i.e.: scouts you), if you are teching that fast (2 colossi is 400 gas and 12 units) you are probably going to get hosed by a rush

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

maybe its more like 60, i dunno, i dont watch my supply that close other than to see when i need more of it. but its pretty easy to get colossi pretty fast if you go straight robo and then bay, boost your robo facility, don't waste gas on anything but a sentry for defense and pump zealots. from what i've gathered its a pretty standard toss counter to medic/marauder, i didn't just make this up

quote:

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:23 am 
turtleman@can

I'd also like to point out that ghostnuke is playing in copper league with players that probably kill their own units to watch the explosions

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:25 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

i'm not in copper league tho? ask some good toss players about the viability of early templars vs colossi against marine/marauder plz, this isn't bw

quote:

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:26 am 
~Dakine..HeX

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
maybe its more like 60, i dunno, i dont watch my supply that close other than to see when i need more of it. but its pretty easy to get colossi pretty fast if you go straight robo and then bay, boost your robo facility, don't waste gas on anything but a sentry for defense and pump zealots. from what i've gathered its a pretty standard toss counter to medic/marauder, i didn't just make this up

ill try it out, im a newb @ this shit so its not like what I say means anything, but ive found immortals to be the most cost effective units out of my robo against m/m

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

well if hes heavy on the marauders then yeah, you definitely want immortals over colossus

quote:

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:27 am 
turtleman@can

hhahahah damnit you moved up, and are no longer the laughing stock of my friends list

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

ya i haven't played any rts games in 2-3 years and then jumped right into 1v1 basically so i lost a lot

at any rate the leagues aren't that great at determining skill (not that i'm really good or anything), and you don't have to be a pro to figure out some strats just aren't as viable as others, especially if you actually read what people who are good at the game say

quote:

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:31 am 
Scrubbolator

high templar with storm and colossi are both very good counters to terran bio.

the problem is if you're teching to ht and they find out they will hit you before you have it 100% and you're in trouble because you teched. it's important to hide your archives so their scan won't see it

just to give you some numbers in terms of gas:

it takes 650 gas to get a high templar out with storm researched and storm also takes a long time to research

it takes 500 gas to get a colossus out

it takes 800 gas for 2 ht's + storm

it takes 900 gas for 2 colossi + range upgrade

you're also gonna want a sentry or 2 at all times which are 100 gas a piece. the colossus will help you out against an early push because you can get it quicker but it will fall fairly quickly without the range upgrade, though a templar would be useless before you have storm researched

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:39 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
hassan-i-sabbah

thx for the numbers thats basically what i was thinking. templars imo just take too long with all the research you need. i forgot about the colossus range upgrade which is important, but two unupgraded colossi with a sentry guarding them is obviously a lot better than two templars that don't have storm researched

quote:

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:46 am 
Soilent Green

you absolutely need templars every game vs terran. there really isn't much of a counter to MMM+Ghost aside from feedback/psi storm. if you don't have templars, I'll just emp your army and shitstomp you.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah I think it depends on the map (how big it is) and what's going on in the game but I find that a lot of people overlook templars right now. I have yet to see anyone templar drop drones

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:07 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
Originally posted by Soilent Green
you absolutely need templars every game vs terran. there really isn't much of a counter to MMM+Ghost aside from feedback/psi storm. if you don't have templars, I'll just emp your army and shitstomp you.

i def. agree in the long term. all i'm saying is i don't think the best thing to do is rush straight to temps

i usually go robo and bay first, council when i have the spare gas for charge and then work towards temps from there

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:13 pm 
turtleman@can

i'm starting to get annoyed with zerg. They're fucking bad against terran in the early/mid game.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:00 pm 
BanMe

Yeah I'm still figuring out this matchup (now that terran players have figured it out). Again my biggest problem is not fighting their army pound for pound, but with marines / dropships / ghosts / vikings they have a mobile army and can keep a semi contain on, and then they can expand freely with planetary fortress allowing them the win in the long game. I have been using 1-2 immortal into colossus openings which lets me live for awhile but you do need feedback from high templar to really be able to get an edge on a good terran due to EMP. Colossus actually aren't that amazing vs shielded marines with dropships - you have to get weapons +3 to one shot them. And because it takes 2 shots, they heal in between shots, not to mention alot of the time u have to move colossus back from viking fire. I'm gonna start trying immortal into templar. Already tried going DT into templar but its too slow to stop a marauder rush and they will jsut micro around ur base and shoot shit while ur dt's chase them.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:10 pm 
Sypher

Don't know much about toss, but from looking at the tech trees, it seems like going templar isn't very cost effective. Collosus with range upgrade seems to be the best bet. Why?

-It is along the same tech tree as immortals, which is what you are getting anyways.
-They have sick range with upgrade
-They *are* the most mobile unit in the game. They can walk up and down cliffs, ffs! With decent micro, you can really do a lot of damage.

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can
i'm starting to get annoyed with zerg. They're fucking bad against terran in the early/mid game.

ZvT is pretty easy. Just open speedling/baneling. They pretty much can't do shit. Banelings are pretty OP right now vs MMM.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:35 pm 
turtleman@can

yeah I think I'll try that. Lately I've been doing a lot of roach openings cause I was catching a lot of players off guard early by raiding their depot wallins and micro raping them but this hasn't worked for like 5 games in a row

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:01 pm 
~Dakine..HeX

bnet down~

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 pm 
Soilent Green

quote:
Originally posted by Sypher
Don't know much about toss, but from looking at the tech trees, it seems like going templar isn't very cost effective. Collosus with range upgrade seems to be the best bet. Why?

-It is along the same tech tree as immortals, which is what you are getting anyways.
-They *are* the most mobile unit in the game. They can walk up and down cliffs, ffs! With decent micro, you can really do a lot of damage.

quote:

ZvT is pretty easy. Just open speedling/baneling. They pretty much can't do shit. Banelings are pretty OP right now vs MMM.

Even with the range upgrade I can still move my MMM away and harass the colossus with vikings. If I happen to get an EMP off while doing that, the colossus is owned, and so is your army. The most effective weapon against MMM, in my opinion, is to use your normal build, but also use templar psi storm. Although I'm getting better at moving out of the psi storm, or completely avoiding it all together before they cast it, when it catches me off guard I usually lose.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:02 pm 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Soilent Green
quote:
Originally posted by Sypher

quote:

Even with the range upgrade I can still move my MMM away and harass the colossus with vikings. If I happen to get an EMP off while doing that, the colossus is owned, and so is your army. The most effective weapon against MMM, in my opinion, is to use your normal build, but also use templar psi storm. Although I'm getting better at moving out of the psi storm, or completely avoiding it all together before they cast it, when it catches me off guard I usually lose.

Colossus is a better opening than templars hands down. Most terrans do a 3 barracks timing rush and hit you at just around 7 minutes. You can have a colossus by then, or 2 immortals. A collosus with range upgrade will decimate marines which are the meat shield, then zealots with charge and using sentry shields will mow down most marauders.

The only problem is the vikings that will be insta-gibbing your colossus, and in this case you're probably best to have 5-8 stalkers and keep them tight around the colossus.

But, a full zealot army at 3-3, with charge and sentry shield really beats the piss out of MMM late game. Get some high templers later for psi storm and you should be able to go even or win most battles.

Focus firing medivacs with stalkers is essential too as they are weak.

I still think EMP needs to be toned down or put on the raven. It's so strong right now with those stupid little ghosts.

Feedback does outrange it (100% sure), but it's still just so hard to feedback 1 unit. If they made feedback an AoE that would help.

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
turtleman@can

I haven't really found a use for ravens. They've got those deployable turrets but I don't think they're any good

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:36 pm 
BanMe

yeah against toss emp is an unavoidable instant psi storm that does more damage and removes energy from templar, toss's 1 of only 2 units that can actually do shit to light armored ranged units

Post Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

i hate mutas :\

quote:

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:13 am 
Shotgun_

TD/Scrubbo i will be playing on sat night big time. Hit me up and teach me some Sc2

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:43 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

so what do any of the good p players here do vs zerg? generally fast mutas and fast expand, that's where i have the most trouble. seems hard to react to mutas by the time you scout it and fast expand he can hold off early zealot rush and harass with queen-boosted speedlings (especially on a map with long walking distance like desert oasis). is it better to ignore the expo at first and just go to his main and take out his queen/drones?

quote:

Post Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:52 am 
Bash

on the off chance that any of the old eur0s check this bitch, Bash.Bash on EU is me.

top15~ gold

Last edited by Bash on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Shotgun_

quote:
I'd also like to point out that ghostnuke is playing in copper league with players that probably kill their own units to watch the explosions

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:07 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

im actually 14 on gold

quote:

Post Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:05 pm