FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Strategy & Tactics

Level 14 human

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Rhym Laref

Level 14 human

Hi all,

I am getting my tail handed to me in level 14. There are three towers and a catapaultl and ogres and I can wipe them out, but lose several units and then dragons show up and wipe out the rest. Anyone got any tips here? Thanks!

Post Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:50 pm 
Nedok

I remember that level it was epic.

Just get archers and guard towers as fast as you can.

play online it's much more fun

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
GenOciDe-

Wow someone actually posting in the strategy and tactics forum with a question about the single player campaign.

That is epic.

Post Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:10 am 
Rhym Laref

Level 14

LOL - I stink at online gaming, I'd get schooled, but maybe some day. My problem is that I head over to the left where the 3 towers and two catapaults are and on my best attempt, I still lose a 3rd of my force and within moments, there are dragons and ogres which outnumber me, so I keep getting worked over really bad. Is there a particular approach to the landing I can use against the towers and catapaults. My 2 attack ships and one big destroyer thing don't match that well and keep getting wiped out, any advise would help.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:23 pm 
Nedok

my advice is to log on server.ru and we'll show you how to play warcraft 2

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Axolotl

From memory, but I've played that one alot.

1) slow the game speed down to less than half or slower. Every second counts with those dragons coming soon. For step 3 have the game on slowest speed.

2) start moving your attack boats to the enemy towers immediately, while they are moving load everything up on your transports.

3) Take out as many towers as you can with your battleship (I forget if you get 1 or 2, but I think it's just 1 Neutral ). On a slower speed you can use your destroyers to dodge the cannon fire while the battleship takes the rest of the towers out. If the catapult is giving you problems just let it fire at you once and back up and it will come the shore where you can easily take it out.

If you find the above paragraph too difficult, wait with your boats until your transports catch up. Unload all 3 transports at the same time, stick 1 grunt on the cannon tower and every other attack unit on the guard towers, including your battleship. Do this battle over until you do it as good as you possibly can. If you lose a peasant, start over. If you lose too many units or your battleship hits your own units, start over. This is probably the most important fight in the entire level. The more units you can save the easier it's going to be to do the rest of the steps.

4) Build a hall, farms and a lumber mill asap. Keep your 2 destroyers together in open water so they can help with the first couple dragons sent from the right. If you did really well with the big fight you can use your extra units to clear out the 2nd mine, and track down death knights later on.

The ogres up by that 2nd mine will actually just stand around if you don't get close so you can either wait until you get some guard towers up, or if you won that first battle with most of your units you can just go take them out immediately.

5) Once your mill is up start throwing guard towers up by the 2nd mine anywhere they fit (minus where you are going to stick the hall). Make sure you save enough gold to build the new hall.

6) Once your hall is up at the 2nd mine you have 3 things you need to worry about.

i) Dragons will be attacking from every conceivable direction. You need to repair your guard towers -- you cannot allow them to be destroyed by dragons. I usually have several up at the 2nd mine, and a couple in the bot left of the map where you are getting your lumber. Your towers should be the first building a dragon runs into (eg. on the perimeter of any other buildings you have). If there is a dragon that starts attacking a farm or your hall where a tower can't hit it...go attack it with many archers, or see if you can attack and run to get it to follow you to a guard tower.

ii) the AI will send a death knight from the right to D and D you anytime it has enough mana. He targets the first thing that comes into his range so it's a good idea to keep a farm out to the right (sometimes dragons will end up on this too so you'll need archers if you go the farm route). Or you need footman on patrol out to the right (keep it on a patrol of at least 7 steps so he's not a moving target). If a dragon comes, retreat until the dragon is taken care of. If the death knight kills your footman, send another out there to patrol.

iii) while defending all this you need to build a large enough army to take out the base on the right, before your gold and lumber runs out. I recommend getting stronghold and going mass knights and archers. Once you kill the city on the right you have already won. Build a few demo squads to get to the 4th gold mine, and now you have way more resources than you'll need to take over the top of the map.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Rhym Laref

Thanks for the advice. The destroyer gambit did not work, but I will try the others. I do intend to save the game after a moderately success opening as I can tell it is important. I've never thought much of towers, but will give it a shot. I do not know why I such so bad at RTS games, but maybe I'll try online sometime soon. I actually can't even finish level one on the human beyond the dark porrtal, and I haven't tried playing the game through as an orc, but will try next. I appreciate you taking the time to give me pointers, I will try more tomorrow.

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:09 pm 
Paper_Boy

hah awesome reply axo... Also really try to bump your stats!! kills , resources etc..... First time I beat it I got thunder god!! post what u get , when u beat it

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Nedok

the single player campaigns were pretty fun

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:13 pm 
Fast Luck

I can't believe he remembers all that, I don't remember a single thing

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:35 pm 
Lightbringer-

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
I can't believe he remembers all that, I don't remember a single thing

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:18 am 
Axolotl

I just tried the intro to see what was there again Smile.

So here are some edits. Forget wasting time with the battleship dodging... just load up your 3 transports with a mix of units but use all your knights, all your footman, both catapults and the rest with archers (make sure you have a mix of each in each transport). Leave your extra archers , mages, and peasants behind. Unload 1 transport each at each cannon tower so they unload at the exact same time. At that moment shoot each tower that you can with your battleship or boats. This is still the most important battle and you want to win with so many units that you can take out all of the units and builds on the left side of the map.

While this is going on go back and get your other units. Build a hall, a mill and 2 guard towers as soon as you can...pack everything tight so the dragons are forced to hit the guard towers first. If you get into trouble with dragons hitting non towers, use a fireball to suck them in.

Follow my other instructions except
1) you may need to use the lumber from the middle if you aren't that efficient with unit kill ratio.
2) you may need to demo to the mid left mine if you aren't efficient with unit kill ratio

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:44 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Fast Luck

haha I just skipped to this map with tigerlily and lost. I didn't read the tips or know what it looked like so I was just winging it, but still pretty sad.

I killed all the black units but didn't have much money, so I don't think I could have gone for that mine by their fortress (not enough to tower it up and protect it from drags). So I got the idea to sap into the 15k mine above my town, I had a lot of gts right under the rocks and it seemed pretty manageable. I got three saps, and while I was trying to figure out where to blow on the rocks, one of them got killed by a dragon. The other two came as close as possible to getting through without actually getting through and then I was broke. Confused

I was kind of wasteful with my money, I didn't realize there'd be a cash crunch. I'd gone castle and trained invisible (but not polymorph). I wasted a few extra knights and mages I hadn't needed to. At the end I had mages and peasants still left, but without polymorph my gold run to the far away mine didn't bring back enough for a 4th sapper as dragons picked off the returning peons. I'm sure I'll win it if I play it again but for now I am hanging my head in shame.

quote:
Originally posted by Rhym Laref
Thanks for the advice. The destroyer gambit did not work, but I will try the others. I do intend to save the game after a moderately success opening as I can tell it is important. I've never thought much of towers, but will give it a shot. I do not know why I such so bad at RTS games, but maybe I'll try online sometime soon. I actually can't even finish level one on the human beyond the dark porrtal, and I haven't tried playing the game through as an orc, but will try next. I appreciate you taking the time to give me pointers, I will try more tomorrow.
Towers are KEY, a lot of guard towers kill the dragons before they can do much damage and you can repair them so you don't lose anything. Although black death knights will be a pain against them, which happened to me and which I see Axo already wrote about.
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:35 am 
Rhym Laref

Well, the towers did not help too much, but perhaps I placed them wrong. I friggin hate those stupud tornado things!!!! Anyways, I did beat the game! I took a different tack though. That gold mine in the top left corner has like 70,000 gold, I used it to stockpile Gryphons and then started in the top left corner, eliminating the oil, then moved to the right a bit and came to a flock of houses. It was classic, my gryphons were individually taking out a house/farm whatever a piece and wasting a ton of orrc gold and wood as they tried to fix the house and so I just kept them at it and eventually the peons died and no more replaced them (perhaps after 45 minutes of doing that for kicks they used their money and wood up?). The demons and stuff were a pain, so I went backk home and would take a few dragons or death knights, or trolls out and then go back and heeal with my 10 knights and then go back for more. I had 14 gryphons so I'd send them in to attack and some back to heal and kept sending the hurt ones back to town while the healed ones kept attacking. I of course did a lot of game saves and it took 4 hours to complete almost.

I am debating starting over with the orcs or playing multiplayer likee you guys suggested. Thanks again for the advise, I never would've beaten the game without your advise to geet past the beginning.

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:40 am 
Lightbringer-

glad you beat the game! Those war2 single player campaigns were epic. So was war1!

Post Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:12 am 
ViRuZ

ive beaten the single player campaigns like 30 times for humies and orc. that shit was hella fun cause my goal was to mine and chop everything on each level. i just kept trying to beat me old res records. lol

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:06 pm 
SoCxYamon

i've beaten all the campians a few times because when i can't log on b.net and i have nothing else to do i play dem. I noticed thats its like 50% easier if you play it on ef speed. and as far as the level 14 humans goes, its like 90% harder on f speed, if you are playing it on ef you and can't win you really have got a problem. But i can give you some tips. those dragons are really annoying so what i did was build as much archers as i could before mining the 2ed mine my goal has always been to mine those 2 while defending with towers n level 2 archers and try n get some paladins and mages going so i can attack black, once i got black's mine i can easily get the exp mine above the main base then from their its over. I remember my first time beating the game, i diden't know i had to destroy the pprotal for some reason so i had to blizz it with my last unit for like 20 minutes

Post Thu May 22, 2008 9:18 pm 
SoCxEcLiPzE

fuck that. press enter, and type in It is a good day to die, or unite the clans. gg.

Post Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
JLsceneQ

I like the single player mode~~

Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:31 am 
gelanyi

This is an amazing thing .. powerful post

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 pm 
Thomas29

haha.

Someone playing single player lol that is cute.

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:42 pm 
swift0ne

on screen is my favorite strategy

Post Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:48 pm 
-667-

This thread pertains to the offline part of war2 swift, but thanks for the info

Post Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:58 pm 
swift0ne

"on screen" is the code in single player to see the whole map

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:06 am 
-667-

...jesus

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:23 pm 
foonat

WHOOSH over his head

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:31 pm 
swift0ne

i fail to see the humor in making a 'hacker joke' in response to a comment by someone already tagging on themselves with a joke about hacking. seems like the worst timing. especially considering there was no opening for it, because i was clearly talking about a single player cheat code in the first place lol

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:01 pm 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by swift0ne
i fail to see the humor in making a 'hacker joke' in response to a comment by someone already tagging on themselves with a joke about hacking. seems like the worst timing. especially considering there was no opening for it, because i was clearly talking about a single player cheat code in the first place lol
tldr u got rape

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:53 pm 
swift0ne

the funny part is you not realizing how unlikely it is for something like that to go over any persons head. you seem a bit disconnected

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:10 pm 
-667-

quote:
Originally posted by -667-
...jesus

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:45 pm