FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

Building a Computer

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Paper_Boy

Building a Computer

I'm looking to get a good Computer for 1600-2400? I'm looking to build my own computer as a Hackintosh (Apple) since it seems like you get much more bang for your buck and Apple has a slow upgrade cycle. How long does it take to build your own computer? I'm thinking:

Intel i7-4770 Quad-Core - Haswell or wait for Haswell E or Broadwell 320-600
Ram- 16 mb ddr3 or 16 ddr4 - 200$ - Prefer to wait for ddr4
Intel Motherboard x99 - Support 8 core CPU and DDR4 ram (2h 2014) 200-350
Wifi and bluetooth card 802.11ac - 100
Power Supply 100- 150 How many watts?
Fans - 3-7 fans? 110$ for 7 Corsair fans - Negatives of having 7 fans?
Fan Controller 50$
CPU Cooler&Heat Sink 60-95 - *Optional*Is this necessary if you slightly over clock?
1 tb SSD Samsung - 1gb 400
See Through Acrylic housing 80 - 200 (r2d2)
Speakers- 30-50
Monitor - Dell 24 monitor 200-240
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 -310$$$

Range looks to be around 1980 - 2735
I've only started my research but these look to be solid choices in comparison to the top benchmarks. Am I over looking ne sexy options???? I'm trying to stay with main stream brands since Mac OS won't be fully compatible with weird ones (with out a lot of time & tinkering)... I'm scared i'm gonna spend 2k on components and the fucking thing won't work lol... Whats the trickiest part of the process? I'm trying to come in under budget so I can build this r2d2 unit =-)

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case-mod/2009/03/23/r2d2-budget-mod-by-frenk-janse/1

Post Thu May 08, 2014 10:34 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Lightbringer-

Building my own computer does not take long.

Doing the actual research for
1. Best bang for the buck
2. Best CPU/GPU for intended use
3. Best pricing
4. Other considerations (upgradability etc)

takes the most time Very Happy

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:03 pm 
Lightbringer-

By the time you will want to 'upgrade' your CPU , the socket will be dead and buried Smile Probably you can save some major bucks on the mobo.

edit: As to fans, I'd stick with the CPU/PSU fan Razz (not really optional Wink but I'd make sure I get a silent aftermarket CPU fan and as silent as possible 500-750W PSU (gold/silver/bronze rating don't matter to me). I don't see you needing any more fans imo.

edit2: A 'slight' overclock or even better than slight overclock can be done on a stock fan. If you want to OC, you really need to get the 'K' CPU. But the 4770 is so good that you probably won't need any OC anytime soon.

edit3: I would not waste $400 on a 1TB SSD. I would personally get something that will fit my OS, often used applications/game and a normal platter HD for storing my stuff. You can save a bit there too and get the best of both world. (speed of SSD + storage of platter disks)

Last edited by Lightbringer- on Thu May 08, 2014 11:16 pm; edited 3 times in total

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:07 pm 
Kith-Kanin

Literally the trickiest part is putting the heat gel on the cpu fan and mounting it. Everything else is beyond simple--as in read the instructions, install.

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
audre lorde

quote:
Originally posted by Kith-Kanin
Literally the trickiest part is putting the heat gel on the cpu fan and mounting it. Everything else is beyond simple--as in read the instructions, install.

Post Thu May 08, 2014 11:20 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

yeah i just built a new pc about a month ago and by far the most annoying thing was setting up the $30 after market cooling

and uh yeah you definitely don't want the stock intel heatsink if you're overclocking, maybe even if not. also you almost definitely don't need 16gb of ram, no reason to wait on ddr4 that i can think of, and that's a really expensive mobo. your system sounds like about $1000 worth of overkill at least

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri May 09, 2014 5:38 am 
foonat

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
yeah i just built a new pc about a month ago and by far the most annoying thing was setting up the $30 after market cooling

and uh yeah you definitely don't want the stock intel heatsink if you're overclocking, maybe even if not. also you almost definitely don't need 16gb of ram, no reason to wait on ddr4 that i can think of, and that's a really expensive mobo. your system sounds like about $1000 worth of overkill at least
setting up cooling with those stupid fucking push pins is the worst. after years of using those i got one that screws into the mobo

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Fri May 09, 2014 8:20 am 
RamJam

It might help to know what exactly you're using the PC for. Like 16 gbs of ram just for gaming/surfing the web is overkill but if you're running VMs it's not.

I think you're paying too much though. You can put together a 4770k with a 770 and everything you need for around $1200-1300.

I'm also confused about the fan part. A good case should have an adequate number of fans and the PSU/CPU/GPU comes with fans already.

Post Fri May 09, 2014 10:09 am 
Thomas29

From Scratch a GREAT GAMING COMPUTER MONITOR AND ALL INCLUDED SHOULD HAVE AN ESTIMATED PRICING OF 2000$-3000$+

Post Fri May 09, 2014 11:18 am 
RamJam

I guess if you're running 780 tis in SLI or something but paying anything over $1500 for a 770 build (including monitor) is overpaying imo.

My friend just built a pc with a 780 ti, 4770k and a $370 mobo (completely unnecessary) for under 2k.

Post Fri May 09, 2014 11:35 am 
Paper_Boy

Ya you maybe right on the over kill, I want to splurge a little but diminishing return definitely comes into play. I hear what you're saying on the mobo, but the compatibility factor definitely adds some constraints to the process. Still, looks like I can find a comparable gigabyte MB for 100-150, which also acts as a fan controller. I'm only going with verified compatible components so i'll probably end up with a shittier GPU, but I don't think that will make 2 big a difference. So surprising that the stock heat sink is no bueno, it's almost like they want it to go bad faster. I guess i'll tone it down. I suppose i can settle for 500 gb ssd. I just love how fast shit launches on it, I saw a youtube video this guy launched 56 major apps on a ssd 4.2ghz in 7 seconds and I just thought, what a Badd ASS. lol .... The K does sound tempting but I decided i'll prefer longevity and stability over the extra speed bump. Sometimes using a Vm and will use cs6 suite. 8 Would probably be fine most the time but I just hate always closing apps, but I sometimes exceed 8 just don't want to think about it. I prefer being oblivious lol, nor do I want to constantly transfer files between drives. Thanks for the input guys, more cost effective would probably be:

Intel i7-4770 - 320
Ram 8-16 80 - 160
Gigabyte MB 120 -150 Comes with Wireless and Bluetooth
Acrylic Housing 80
Speakers 30
Dell Monitor 24" 240
Shitty Gpu or asus gtx 660 - 50-220 >meets min game req's but not recm'd
500 Gb HD SSD 250
Power Supply 150
4 Extra Fans 50 Maybe over kill but good peace of mind =-)
CPU Fan 100-150 Copper Heat sinks
Diamond 7 Thermal Compound 7 -

The heat sink definitely sounds the trickiest, so much going on. If I understood everything correctly, go with Copper for greater conductivity and use gloves so oil doesn't accelerate oxidation? The craziest shit i read involved applying a thermal compound with a superior viscosity: Pre clean 70% alcohol, 2 hour curing process in a dust free environment, boil a Syringe to apply as5 thin Thermal paste layer then a halogen lamp to slightly heat CPU? ROFL, who does this shit? (3.6F) difference compared to ice Diamond 7 .... I live in a shit Hole , dunno how i'd get rid of all the dust

Range looks to be 1477- 1697 Much more reasonable and sounds sexxy

Post Fri May 09, 2014 6:16 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Shotgun_

*Paperboy makes $2000 gaming pc of destiny*

*only game he ever plays is warcraft2*

*War2 wont run right on gaming pc of destiny*

*Pb never uses GPoD again and reverts to old computer*

Post Sat May 10, 2014 1:05 am 
RamJam

I'm still confused about a couple things.

$150 power supply? With that build you don't really need more than a 650 watt which can be purchased for 60-100$.

$100-150 for the heatsink. Some of the best heatsinks out there can be purchased for $70 and come with fans. The one I use cost me $40 and works pretty well with overclocking my i7.

Is there also a specific reason you are getting a dell monitor? Those are pretty overpriced for gaming unless you really want an IPS monitor.

Also the thing about solid state drives is you really only need them for software. You should probably get a secondary hard drive to put all your media files on. Unless you have a ton of games and other software you probably don't need more than a 256 gb ssd. You can put the software you rarely use and all your media files/downloads onto the secondary hard drive.

If it were me I'd spend the extra $20-30 to get the 4770k. Being able to overclock is pretty nice but it's not for everyone I guess.

For case fans you don't really need more than 2 intake and 2 outtake fans for what you're putting in it.

If you're dropping 1600 on a pc you might as well just get the 770. The CPU/GPU are going to represent the most noticeable performance differences other than the ssd.

Post Sat May 10, 2014 8:00 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

loled @ gaming pc of destiny

quote:
Originally posted by RamJam
Also the thing about solid state drives is you really only need them for software. You should probably get a secondary hard drive to put all your media files on. Unless you have a ton of games and other software you probably don't need more than a 256 gb ssd. You can put the software you rarely use and all your media files/downloads onto the secondary hard drive.

yeah this too. i mean if i had the money to blow a 1tb ssd would be pretty epic sure, but practically you're going to get diminishing returns using it to put all your mp3's and movies and shit on
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Sat May 10, 2014 8:42 am 
Kith-Kanin

quote:
Originally posted by Paper_Boy

The heat sink definitely sounds the trickiest, so much going on. If I understood everything correctly, go with Copper for greater conductivity and use gloves so oil doesn't accelerate oxidation? The craziest shit i read involved applying a thermal compound with a superior viscosity: Pre clean 70% alcohol, 2 hour curing process in a dust free environment, boil a Syringe to apply as5 thin Thermal paste layer then a halogen lamp to slightly heat CPU? ROFL, who does this shit? (3.6F) difference compared to ice Diamond 7 .... I live in a shit Hole , dunno how i'd get rid of all the dust

Range looks to be 1477- 1697 Much more reasonable and sounds sexxy

So, I didn't use gloves, put a drop squeezed it out of the tube, used an old credit card and scrapped it really thin, attached the fan, and my computer has been running fine for about 3 years now.

Post Sat May 10, 2014 9:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
foonat

i've never done any of those things with the thermal paste. i just lay a few thin "lines" of it down on the processor and when i put the heatsink it spreads out on its own. never had a problem...

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Sat May 10, 2014 9:38 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

i didnt have a problem with applying the paste so much as the screw/nut things to mount it on the mobo

quote:

Post Sat May 10, 2014 9:56 am 
Paper_Boy

lolzy If I lost to you Shotty on the Gaming Pc of Destiny, I probably would revert to my old one^^ Damn Ram Jam ur saving me all sorts of $$, I guess I assumed if its cheaper it is shit and will break and more expensive means its quality shit. I guess I can put that idea to the test. Ya sounds like the basic paste method is the way to go

Post Sat May 10, 2014 11:47 am 
Shotgun_

1on1 wanted GPoD's only

Post Tue May 13, 2014 10:43 am 
Thomas29

Sounds Fun Bro!

Post Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm 
Ywfn

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
i've never done any of those things with the thermal paste. i just lay a few thin "lines" of it down on the processor and when i put the heatsink it spreads out on its own. never had a problem...

Ironically, drawing out the paths of GOW would spread it out almost perfectly

Post Wed May 14, 2014 2:59 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

That's not really ironic so much as a strange coincidence. I have autism btw

quote:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 3:06 pm 
Fast Luck

You're also gay and obese but you failed to mention that.

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Post Wed May 14, 2014 4:08 pm 
Fast Luck

I think people should have mandatory signatures on msg boards that say something like this:

"DISCLAIMER: This user is gay, obese, and autistic."

that way everyone would be able to put the views displayed therein into the proper context.

quote:

Post Wed May 14, 2014 4:09 pm 
Fast Luck

quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
That's not really ironic so much as a strange coincidence. I have autism btw
The gow paths are everywhere in nature.

Sol Robeson: This is insanity, Max.
Maximillian Cohen: Or maybe it's genius.

Post Wed May 14, 2014 4:11 pm 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
You're also gay and obese but you failed to mention that.

It wasn't relevant to the post.

Post Wed May 14, 2014 4:20 pm 
Shotgun_

1on1 wanted GPoD's only

Post Fri May 16, 2014 10:55 am 
stoned@chayliss

Re: Building a Computer

quote:
Originally posted by Paper_Boy
I'm looking to get a good Computer for 1600-2400? I'm looking to build my own computer as a Hackintosh (Apple) since it seems like you get much more bang for your buck and Apple has a slow upgrade cycle. How long does it take to build your own computer? I'm thinking:

Intel i7-4770 Quad-Core - Haswell or wait for Haswell E or Broadwell 320-600
Ram- 16 mb ddr3 or 16 ddr4 - 200$ - Prefer to wait for ddr4
Intel Motherboard x99 - Support 8 core CPU and DDR4 ram (2h 2014) 200-350
Wifi and bluetooth card 802.11ac - 100
Power Supply 100- 150 How many watts?
Fans - 3-7 fans? 110$ for 7 Corsair fans - Negatives of having 7 fans?
Fan Controller 50$
CPU Cooler&Heat Sink 60-95 - *Optional*Is this necessary if you slightly over clock?
1 tb SSD Samsung - 1gb 400
See Through Acrylic housing 80 - 200 (r2d2)
Speakers- 30-50
Monitor - Dell 24 monitor 200-240
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 -310$$$

Range looks to be around 1980 - 2735
I've only started my research but these look to be solid choices in comparison to the top benchmarks. Am I over looking ne sexy options???? I'm trying to stay with main stream brands since Mac OS won't be fully compatible with weird ones (with out a lot of time & tinkering)... I'm scared i'm gonna spend 2k on components and the fucking thing won't work lol... Whats the trickiest part of the process? I'm trying to come in under budget so I can build this r2d2 unit =-)

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/case-mod/2009/03/23/r2d2-budget-mod-by-frenk-janse/1

L2GFYASAFP
quote:
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Sat May 17, 2014 6:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote