FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Moderated General Discussion

SQL Server 2012

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic

SQL Server 2012

Has anyone successfully learned the SQL language (if you want to call it one) or SQL Server 2012 through an online training website or know of a good one? Currently my company is doing 100% of their analysis out of Access (Including a shitty attempt at a data warehouse) so it's not something I can learn on the job. I've got the Developer edition from Amazon ($44 or something like that), which is essentially the full version, except they make you agree not to use it in production.

Post Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:26 pm 
Aerasal

so you're asking these questions on a minimally populated forum where maybe 1 or 2 people are in the field and could answer them. hmmm

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:35 am 
ChrisLui

I've never used them but I know some people who like www.lynda.com and www.udemy.com

Post Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:21 am 

There are 4 or 5 at least who may have learned at least some programming language online. I'm not sure who is active or anything anymore so PMs wouldn't work like they would have 5 years ago.

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:02 am 

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisLui
I've never used them but I know some people who like www.lynda.com and www.udemy.com

I've never heard of udemy, but it looks like exactly what I was looking for.

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:11 am 
turtleman@can

I had a pretty good SQL book from college but I usually just google it and find answers on sites like stackoverflow when i need a refresher

the basics are pretty simple tho
u need to create a connection to the database

then you create a query (like SELECT * FROM TABLENAME)

and then that query creates a recordset and you just either loop through it and pull out the data for each record or just run the query to do an update or insert.

In most applications you're either doing a SELECT query or an INSERT or UPDATE query

some tools make it easier by offering visual query builders where you just pick the fields you want and it generates the query for you.

but as far as an SQL database it's the same as an access database pretty much. You've got primary/foreign keys that create relational databases and otherwise it's just storing records in tables.

the only hard part I find with SQL is when you've got a fuckton of tables and you're doing a bunch of table joins, then the syntax gets retarded.

pm me if u need any help but with the above info you should be able to just google "how do i create an sql connection in c#" or whatever language you're using and figure it out, there's a million tutorials out there now and you probably don't even need a book.

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:34 pm 
Ywfn

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman@can

and then that query creates a recordset and you just either loop through it and pull out the data for each record or just run the query to do an update or insert

DO NOT DO THIS. You need to use the power of SQL to narrow down the search and select only the fields you need. Stepping through the recordset iteratively is about the least efficient way you can do it.

Although you should preferably not be using inline queries at all, and instead pass all data through stored procedures so you can abstract the data access from whatever programming language you are using.

quote:
the only hard part I find with SQL is when you've got a fuckton of tables and you're doing a bunch of table joins, then the syntax gets retarded.

LOL. Damn those database designers normalizing their data!

quote:
pm me if u need any help but with the above info

I know you're just trying to help, but please don't pass on those bad programming habits. It's so frustrating working with code written by someone that doesn't understand SQL.

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:48 am 
stoned@chayliss

quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal
so you're asking these questions on a minimally populated forum where maybe 1 or 2 people are in the field and could answer them. hmmm

quote:
Originally posted by Location: Texas
quote:

you got raped, lulz
quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
Top quality trolling Chayliss. Hat tip to you
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkz102
also in this post - special shout out to my boy chay

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Aerasal

quote:
Originally posted by stoned@chayliss
quote:
Originally posted by Aerasal

quote:
quote:

you got raped, lulz

fuck your mother

Post Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
Originally posted by Ywfn
quote:

and then that query creates a recordset and you just either loop through it and pull out the data for each record or just run the query to do an update or insert

DO NOT DO THIS. You need to use the power of SQL to narrow down the search and select only the fields you need. Stepping through the recordset iteratively is about the least efficient way you can do it.

Although you should preferably not be using inline queries at all, and instead pass all data through stored procedures so you can abstract the data access from whatever programming language you are using.

quote:

LOL. Damn those database designers normalizing their data!

quote:
pm me if u need any help but with the above info

I know you're just trying to help, but please don't pass on those bad programming habits. It's so frustrating working with code written by someone that doesn't understand SQL.

This guy clearly doesn't know anything about programming and I know nothing about what his requirements are - I'm doing what most programmers are terrible at doing and that is explaining things in very simple terms so that somebody can wrap their heads around a complex topic and hit the ground running.

I agree with what you're saying.. but most people don't adopt good coding habits right away when they're learning the basic concepts. You need to understand what is happening and then build on your knowledge and improve the way you do things.

Post Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:02 am 

I'm actually pretty well educated on relational databases. I was actually on a migration team last year when we were building our new EDW so I spent a few months doing nothing but helping normalize shitty old scrambled tables from the mainframe system we were using. I've just always been in the BA role so I've spent the last couple of years handing off requirements to the people who use the RDBMSs. I'm working on actually learning the tools now to possibly make a move toward the IT side instead of the business side, or at least better understand how they're carrying out my requirements.

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:11 pm 
turtleman@can

quote:
I'm actually pretty well educated on relational databases. I was actually on a migration team last year when we were building our new EDW so I spent a few months doing nothing but helping normalize shitty old scrambled tables from the mainframe system we were using. I've just always been in the BA role so I've spent the last couple of years handing off requirements to the people who use the RDBMSs. I'm working on actually learning the tools now to possibly make a move toward the IT side instead of the business side, or at least better understand how they're carrying out my requirements.

You've probably got a higher level understanding of database design than I do but for the programming side of it

http://www.amazon.com/SQL-Visual-QuickStart-Guide-Edition/dp/0321553578

I used an earlier version of this book - it's a good place to start. I liked it because it covers 99% of what you'll ever need to know, it's small and acts like a quick reference.

You can undoubtedly find a pdf version somewhere to check it out first but it's pretty cheap.

Post Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:34 pm