FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Logout

Warcraft Occult Forum Index -> Links, reviews, previews, etc

Neuroscientists plant false memories in the brain
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
hassan-i-sabbah

its really funny some people are so insecure about eating meat they have to make up these convoluted things about how plants are just as intelligent or whatever

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:32 am 
foonat

I've found rocks in all kinds of weird places. They must have some sort of intelligence to get there.

quote:
Originally posted by smurf_king

i rather be a pedophile than a homo

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:33 am 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by foonat
quote:
Originally posted by Lightbringer-
quote:
Originally posted by Kyr.Luoson
Jon is in the right here.

+1

Vegetarians who choose so just because of animals having feelings and being alive are pretty much retards (ignorant).

Now if you chose to be a vegetarian because of religion, that would be something else!
so it makes sense to not eat animals because some two thousand year old book tells you not to, but not because you would rather animals not be tortured/killed to feed you? i see

you do know every slab of meat didn't necessarily come from a tortured animal? as well why care if a animal was killed but no feelings toward a plant when it's killed? no reason other then how we relate to a plant vs an animal.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:34 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

who are we to even say what intelligence is, that we are more intelligent than things like lumps of cardboard or socks, simply because we have sentience. heh, you think those are thoughts your thinking?

quote:
Originally posted by turtleman
A normal person wouldn't say that in real life because it's ridiculous and insulting. Yet here you are spouting the most hateful garbage that your demons can muster out of your darkened soul. All because of the internet.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:34 am 
Jon;

quote:
Originally posted by Fast Luck
quote:
Originally posted by Jon;
um it's making the exact point i assume.

quote:
ie not a single unit, but rather a collection of interacting organs working in an economy.

how does that contradict anything i said?

how does that differ from animals in the wild such as lion prides?
is that really the exact point you assumed? you linked us to the article to show us how there's not really such thing as "a plant" and not because you wanted to prove how "intelligent" plants are? obviosuly not, that has nothing to do with anything being discussed here.

wat

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 am 
foonat

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

Vegetarians who choose so just because of animals having feelings and being alive are pretty much retards (ignorant).

Now if you chose to be a vegetarian because of religion, that would be something else!
so it makes sense to not eat animals because some two thousand year old book tells you not to, but not because you would rather animals not be tortured/killed to feed you? i see

you do know every slab of meat didn't necessarily come from a tortured animal? as well why care if a animal was killed but no feelings toward a plant when it's killed? no reason other then how we relate to a plant vs an animal.
buying non-tortured meat usually costs 2-3x what tortured meat costs, putting it out of reach for most people

hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
you do know every slab of meat didn't necessarily come from a tortured animal?

lol jon is trying to act like he shops at organic cruelty free farmers markets and doesnt just shovel whatever slop his mom leaves at the top of the basement stairs down his throat

Last edited by hassan-i-sabbah on Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Fast Luck

quote:
quote:
quote:
um it's making the exact point i assume.

quote:
ie not a single unit, but rather a collection of interacting organs working in an economy.

how does that contradict anything i said?

how does that differ from animals in the wild such as lion prides?
is that really the exact point you assumed? you linked us to the article to show us how there's not really such thing as "a plant" and not because you wanted to prove how "intelligent" plants are? obviosuly not, that has nothing to do with anything being discussed here.

wat

hassan-i-asher: majorin in takin pictures
dreamin bout wayne from catalina wine mixers
listen little friend stay outta the deep end
cuz you're less street than vampire weekend

Jon;

quote:
actually, plants are so smart that they want to be eaten. it's true, at least besides the "want" part because plants can't actively want things. but fruits gets eaten so that seeds will get spread by the animals who eat them and new plants can grow in other places. that's why berries are bright colors, to attract animals. nuts, corn, etc. operate in this way. dung from cows refertilizes the pastures they graze. how did all this happen? simple evolutionary mechanisms. plants that are able to spread their seeds and reproduce survive. plants that can detect sunlight and grow in that direction survive. but conflating these in-built evolutionary survival mechanisms with the type of feelings, pain, etc experienced by animals is absurd and laughable on its face. choosing between the two, eating plants is clearly less cruel than eating animals. the only equivalence you can make is with something like oysters.

disagree. but it's easy to see how a human would think like this, it's too hard for us to grasp plant feelings.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
disagree. but it's easy to see how a human would think like this, it's too hard for us to grasp plant feelings.

im a wiccan now

foonat

quote:
quote:
actually, plants are so smart that they want to be eaten. it's true, at least besides the "want" part because plants can't actively want things. but fruits gets eaten so that seeds will get spread by the animals who eat them and new plants can grow in other places. that's why berries are bright colors, to attract animals. nuts, corn, etc. operate in this way. dung from cows refertilizes the pastures they graze. how did all this happen? simple evolutionary mechanisms. plants that are able to spread their seeds and reproduce survive. plants that can detect sunlight and grow in that direction survive. but conflating these in-built evolutionary survival mechanisms with the type of feelings, pain, etc experienced by animals is absurd and laughable on its face. choosing between the two, eating plants is clearly less cruel than eating animals. the only equivalence you can make is with something like oysters.

are u serious

Fast Luck

Think of all the poor apple trees dying every time you eat an apple. It's heartbreaking.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 am 
Jon;

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

buying non-tortured meat usually costs 2-3x what tortured meat costs, putting it out of reach for most people

how do you know what animal was tortured and wasn't tortured?

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
quote:

you think plants are smarter than cows and can't recognize that animals have a higher level of consciousness than plants. you think plants can feel pain to the same degree as animals despite not having central nervous systems. your rationalizations are desperate. i can only assume it's because on some level you DO empathize with animals and that's why you need to come up with all these excuses

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:38 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

+1

how do you know what animal was tortured and wasn't tortured?

what are you even arguing lmao

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
I've found rocks in all kinds of weird places. They must have some sort of intelligence to get there.
quote:
Originally posted by hassan-i-sabbah
who are we to even say what intelligence is, that we are more intelligent than things like lumps of cardboard or socks, simply because we have sentience. heh, you think those are thoughts your thinking?

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:39 am 
Jon;

quote:
quote:
quote:

are u serious

yea blid basically has the normal human reaction towards a plant... "they can't possibly feel anything, it's clearly less evil to eat a plant than a animal" etc..we barely know enough about plants to even make these statements.. but we relate to animals better than plants so that's how we feel.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:41 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

are u serious

yea blid basically has the normal human reaction towards a plant... "they can't possibly feel anything, it's clearly less evil to eat a plant than a animal" etc..we barely know enough about plants to even make these statements.. but we relate to animals better than plants so that's how we feel.
jon, what happens in the winter if we never harvest, say, a field of wheat? hmm

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:42 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:

*takes huge fucking sick bong rip* *exhales alphabetical smoke clouds that spell out "THE MATRIX BUT WITH PLANTS"*

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 am 
Jon;

quote:
quote:
quote:

you think plants are smarter than cows and can't recognize that animals have a higher level of consciousness than plants. you think plants can feel pain to the same degree as animals despite not having central nervous systems. your rationalizations are desperate. i can only assume it's because on some level you DO empathize with animals and that's why you need to come up with all these excuses

central nervous system is how animals are able feel pain.... doesn't mean it's absolutely necessarily for a plant to have one to feel..

quote:
In theory even an organism with a hormonal system instead of a nervous system could be intelligent in some degree, but it would be an extremely slow brain, to say the least.

And yet, at least higher plants are able to produce electrical signals, even if they do not use them in the same way animals do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormonal_sentience

if plants don't feel anything why are they sending out distress signals when being munched on by a caterpillar for instance..?

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:48 am 
Fast Luck

to increase their likelihood of survival and reproduction, probably, as they evolved to do

or, separately: if this program i just coded can't feel pain then why does it throw an error when it can't parse a line?

quote:

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:49 am 
Jon;

quote:
jon, what happens in the winter if we never harvest, say,
a field of wheat? hmm

hmm indeed

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am 
hassan-i-sabbah

quote:
if plants don't feel anything why are they sending out distress signals when being munched on by a caterpillar for instance..?

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:53 am 
Jon;

quote:
to increase their likelihood of survival and reproduction, probably, as they evolved to do

or, separately: if this program i just coded can't feel pain then why does it throw an error when it can't parse a line?

you being a dumbass and failing to code something the program doesn't understand equates to how a plant feels how?

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:55 am 
Fast Luck

The point there is that the signal (program throwing an error) does not imply pain, just as the signal (emitting a scent to increase survival) does not necessarily imply pain. it could just be a simple in-built evolutionary reaction, just like the error warnings are in-built in a compiler or w/e.

quote:
quote:
jon, what happens in the winter if we never harvest, say, a field of wheat? hmm

hmm indeed
it will die man. and soon! harvesting is the gathering of a mature crop before it dies

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:04 am 
Jon;

quote:
The point there is that the signal (program throwing an error) does not imply pain, just as the signal (emitting a scent to increase survival) does not necessarily imply pain. it could just be a simple in-built evolutionary reaction, just like the error warnings are in-built in a compiler or w/e.

maybe you are right, but maybe not. you don't know for certain.
admit plants are more intelligent then people give them credit for.

quote:
it will die man. and soon! harvesting is the gathering of a mature crop before it dies

yea that's kind of what happens in nature, things die. cows die too, they just have a longer life expectancy, we need to eat them for their meat goes bad,

Last edited by Jon; on Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:13 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
quote:

maybe you are right, but maybe not. you don't know for certain.
admit plants are more intelligent then people give them credit for.
Even after giving this serious thought, I still am just not able to accept that a potato is more intelligent than a pig, or that I could be wrong to believe it is less cruel to eat a potato. I'm so sorry man, I really tried, but I'm too narrow in my thinking.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:16 am 
Jon;

i don't think a potato is smarter than a pig. i'm not even making the argument that plants are smarter than animals i was fucking around.. just that plants possess intelligence and are living organisms, kind of the reasons some people don't like to eat meat.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:21 am 
Fast Luck

quote:
i don't think a potato is smarter than a pig. i'm not even making the argument that plants are smarter than animals i was fucking around.. just that plants possess intelligence and are living organisms, kind of the reasons some people don't like to eat meat.
ok, well, plants are kinda neat and maybe can do more than people realize. if it's still less cruel to eat them than eating a pig (it is), then a vegetarian's world is not exactly shattered by this news, y'know? or really impacted at all. and even if it were, you've still got fungi (which arent plants), fruits (which dont kill the plants and are meant to be eaten), some vegetables, etc etc. so anyway these fascinating new plant facts have pretty much nothing to do with people who dont eat meat.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:28 am 
Ywfn

Even if you accepted the ridiculous hypothesis that there's an ethical issue with the killing of plants for whatever reason, by consuming meat your indirectly consuming a greater amount of vegetation than if you stuck to eating the plants for nourishment directly.

Post Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am